Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2015, 04:22 AM   #1031
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Getting back to this issue:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Supernatural Durability stops when injured by a Vulnerability or the condition that's required for S.D. in the first place. Normally this results in death, But that wouldn't negate Unkillable even if it also counts as a hindrance. As nothing negates level 2-3 of that advantage except an unrelated Achilles' heel.

Simply I would just state that the S.D. negation condition is the classic stake through the heart and call it a Hindrance for Unkillable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Given that the only way to kill them is Beheading, I would have assumed that Beheading was the S.D. negation condition.
What I'm looking for:

Stake through the heart negates Supernatural Durability and prevents Regeneration, but due to Unkillable doesn't kill them outright.

Death by sunlight, death by beheading followed by burning the two separately and spreading the ashes, and the infamous Montesi Formula in the Darkhold negate Unkillable and are meant to be the Supernatural Durability negation effects. The Montesi Formula is so rare, though, it barely rates mention; it's more of a blanket "change the metaphysical rules of the universe" plot point than something the PCs could routinely rely on.

(In Baron Blood's case, I'm leaving it open as to whether the body was actually burned or if he was re-interned in the Tower of London after he was beheaded.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:27 AM   #1032
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Affected by True Faith is a feature. But I think the previous poster meant DREAD of True Faith works as a quirk to increase the distance it works from.
Hmm, yeah. Not what I was going for. I was going for folks like Nightcrawler and Aunt May keeping them at bay with crosses, and Wind-Rider with whatever symbol the Bantu nature goddess uses, with their Devout Believer Quirks; not restricting keeping the vampire at bay to the two-in-a-million-characters who have True Faith.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #1033
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Hmm, yeah. Not what I was going for. I was going for folks like Nightcrawler and Aunt May keeping them at bay with crosses, and Wind-Rider with whatever symbol the Bantu nature goddess uses, with their Devout Believer Quirks; not restricting keeping the vampire at bay to the two-in-a-million-characters who have True Faith.
And you have it. The quirk for "Affected by True Faith" is in GURPS Zombies, p.66. The Dread you have (of symbols presented by believers) works fine for what you want. Dont need to bring True Faith into it at all, other than a GM should know the hedge distances stack if they do both apply.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:31 AM   #1034
Anvil

Quote:
Sainthood is Catholic, I believe. But I think that I get your point and agree with it.
True Faith is, and should be, a powerful rare ability, not possessed by any run of the mill non-magical zealot.

I wonder if a Satanist turning the cross upside down would count.
Technically the inverted cross is a Catholic symbol associated with Saint Peter, who was supposedly crucified upside down. So a Catholic with True Faith could turn a cross upside down and use it as well, especially if he invoked Saint Peter for intercession. (Another Catholic thing)
Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #1035
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
Technically the inverted cross is a Catholic symbol associated with Saint Peter, who was supposedly crucified upside down. So a Catholic with True Faith could turn a cross upside down and use it as well, especially if he invoked Saint Peter for intercession. (Another Catholic thing)
And many Satanists also claim the inverted cross for a symbol as a symbol of rebellion against Christianity... but that's a digression we're probably best off just leaving for Geek Culture. ;)

Old 02-17-2015, 01:49 PM   #1036
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
And many Satanists also claim the inverted cross for a symbol as a symbol of rebellion against Christianity... but that's a digression we're probably best off just leaving for Geek Culture. ;)
The specifics sure. But I just wondered if a symbol has to be used in the most obvious common manner to be a magically Dread-able symbol.
It might act as a shock even to the vampire for a very obviously not Christian to invoke intense Dread.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #1037
Adversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
I remember Typhoid Mary when she was introduced, I always thought she was cool. I think her psionic powers extend beyond what you've described here. Certainly her telekinesis and pyrokinesis were low-powered in terms of what she could actually lift or set on fire. But the most notable way she used them was to whip up clouds of litter and small objects, some of it burning, to confuse and distract an opponent; this was particularly effective at confusing Daredevil's scanning sense.

She also demonstrated some low-level mind control. I recall her walking into Kingpin's headquarters by causing his guards to look away at key moments, so she could just stroll in. This could be some kind of mind control, only strong enough to give subtle suggestions to the weak-willed. Or perhaps it could be invisibility art.

I wonder if her burning attack would be better represented with a larger damage number, but No Wounding? I don't recall, in the little bit I read of her, her using it to burn people directly. But she could set their clothes (as well as other objects) on fire.
Bump...now that y'all are done with vampires, can my gal Typhoid get some love?
Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:48 PM   #1038
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
Bump...now that y'all are done with vampires, can my gal Typhoid get some love?
To be honest, all I've ever really read with Typhoid in it were the first year of the Initiative, when she was Mutant Zero, and let's face it there wasn't much of a personality in that char. I built her while reading her Official Handbook Update '89 entry, which lacked a lot of the information, probably because it hadn't been shown yet. I had to make some judgement calls.

Still, I'd be up for adding some stuff to her... can you get me some stats for how some of the additional stuff should work?

Old 02-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #1039
Adversary

Ok, first let's give her Sex Appeal and some related perks: High-heeled Heroine, Sexy Pose, and Classic Features--Crazy/Damaged/Bad Girl. Daredevil had trouble with her, if I recall correctly, partly because he had a sick attraction for her. And she seduced the Kingpin, certainly no low-will target. Also the schtick Masked; by putting on her half-face makeup and teasing her hair out, no one recognized her as Mary. Mary might also have Classic Features: Vulnerable Good Girl/Ingenue.

For her pyrokinesis, 2d burning attack, No Signature, area affect: cone, selective, no wounding. Mess around with the cone range and width until she can affect, say, an area 10 yards across at the widest point, 20 yards long. There might be a better way to build this, but the affect I am going for is she can look at an area and inflict 2d worth of fire-starting on any objects she chooses within that area. 3 points of burning damage is enough to set part of a person's clothing on fire, inflicting 1d-4 damage/round and -2 to dex unless the damage is too little to harm the target. Things just start burning, with no signature linking it to Typhoid. And I believe that with area affect the target gets no defense unless he/she can dive out of the area of affect. (Area affect: cone might not be right, I don't remember her setting a lot of things on fire in a wide area. But the affect isn't something you can dodge, nor resist with will. She looks at you, your clothes start burning. Perhaps it should just be some kind of Cosmic: no active defense, if that's allowed).

For the strange affect she had on Daredevil, how about an affliction, area affect-emanation, based on I guess Will. Affect=Euphoria. It isn't exactly Euphoria, but the -3 to Dex, IQ, Skill, and self-control rolls fits. Reduced time or persistent or something, it basically happens passively while she is fighting/doing other things.

For the cloud of small burning objects she telekinetically/pyrokinectically whipped up around herself, I'd say Obscure, affecting sight, scanning sense, and (logically) smell as well. Defensive. Same automatic/passive quality as the Obscure.

Finally, mind control with the Suggestion limitation. It should have low or no signature and appropriate range. From some distance away she can silently suggest that a guard turn left rather than right, or choose this moment to dig out that snack.

Last edited by Adversary; 02-18-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #1040
Kenshiro

Very good job so far guys !

If you want some help to design The Sentry, I'm in !

I know this character like the back of my hand ! :)

Last edited by Kenshiro; 12-20-2015 at 05:01 AM.
Kenshiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men