Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
copeab

Default Re: Who needs tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I had a friend of mine who joined the Army who told me, with a straight face, that the M113 he was going to drive was INFINITELY preferable to the M2/3 Bradley. Perhaps that's just unit pride on Johnny Rico's part...
Well, the Bradley is a bloated combination light tank and APC ...

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #12
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
Well, the Bradley is a bloated combination light tank and APC ...
Yeah, I saw the movie. But the Brad is better armored, faster, and better armed. The only advantage for the M113 is that it takes only one of them to carry 12 troops, where it takes two Brads. I'd offset this with the utility of the 25mm cannon, esp having two of them handy.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #13
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
Aw, forget bot-minders. The future is behind AKVs.
In addition to the issue of people being unwilling to let machines kill with no human in the loop, if there's one thing playing lots of strategy games teaches it's that we don't know how to make a computer good at tactics.

If you've got good, trustworthy machine tacticians, bring on the new robot overlords. Otherwise, I strongly suggest supporting your automated shooters with human leadership at low levels.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Yeah, I saw the movie. But the Brad is better armored, faster, and better armed. The only advantage for the M113 is that it takes only one of them to carry 12 troops, where it takes two Brads. I'd offset this with the utility of the 25mm cannon, esp having two of them handy.
The problem is that even with better armor than the M113, the Bradley still is not that well protected on the modern battlefield. I'd rather keep it where it won't get shot at (and destroyed), which means it's really inferior to the M113 then.

(Not that I think the M113 should replace the Bradley -- it is a 50 year old design)

FWIW, i think the MICV idea (BMP, Bradley, etc) is severely flawed and the "battlefield taxi" concept was right.

Last edited by copeab; 11-23-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #15
Anthony

Quote:
The problem is that even with better armor than the M113, the Bradley still is not that well protected on the modern battlefield. I'd rather keep it where it won't get shot at (and destroyed), which means it's really inferior to the M113 then.
Yes, but is an M113 really superior to an HMMWV? At a certain point, inadequate armor is so inadequate that you might as well not have any at all, thus giving you a lighter, faster, more agile vehicle.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #16
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yes, but is an M113 really superior to an HMMWV?
Yes. An M113 protects against indirect artillery fire better than a HMMWV, for starters.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #17
mlangsdorf

One possible reason for there to be battlesuits but not tanks if there is some weird scaling going in with respect to some piece of necessary technology. For instance, if the power requirements for a stealth field generator rise with the fourth power with respect to size, it may be possible for put a portable stealth field on a man-sized unit and still power it, but a tank would need a larger power plant than the tank itself.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #18
jacobmuller

Kinda what I'd figured.

I'd envisioned a TL10 post cyberpunk setting, cybernetics TL11. Allowed access to gravitics from TL9 (the aliens had it), giving Graviton Beams at TL10 (infinite pentration) and SM0 AI/cybershells with skill 18.

But that meant combat was cybers sniping cybers and meats couldn't get a job/ only the rich eat.

Figured the following keeps combat interesting/ player participatory:
Grav tech includes EW - it can be jammed, grav guns don't fire; tanks fly but only if their ECCM beats the EW.
AI programming is such that they cannot be used for combat (they go rogue and kill anyone/thing).
Each infantry fireteam is 3 bioroids with a human team leader - remotes won't work, their ECCM is overcome by enemy EW and the bioroids need leadership.
The stealth tech makes for closer range combat despite long range weapons, therefore melee skills are still needed.
AFVs protect from area effect weapons and allow rapid transit.
Mecha are oversized infantry and fit copeab's assessment fairly well (deployable rollerblades don't beat flying but their ECCM isn't as good as AFV). Used as scouts/ special forces.

Civilians can get highly advanced weaponry (low mag cap/ low RoF, EW vulnerable; LC3) but not the military gear (high cap, high RoF, EW proof; LC2-).
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #19
jacobmuller

Quote:
Yes. An M113 protects against indirect artillery fire better than a HMMWV, for starters.
Gotta say, and I hope I'm misinformed, the scariest thing about APC/AIFVs is they're glorified flak-jackets on tracks. Better armour but not that good and really shocked that modern AIFV isn't really better armoured than M113 et al.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #20
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
Gotta say, and I hope I'm misinformed, the scariest thing about APC/AIFVs is they're glorified flak-jackets on tracks. Better armour but not that good and really shocked that modern AIFV isn't really better armoured than M113 et al.
I've been told the Stryker has significantly better armor than the M113A3 but still not nearly enough to protect it from a tank.

Tags
afv, mecha, stealth, tanks