Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #1
Minuteman37

Default Dream Games You May Never Get to Play or Run

In This Thread we talk about those games we always fantasize about playing, but for whatever reason we haven't. I'll start, but fill free to skip my ramblings and tell us about your dream games. :)

Been thinking about it for a couple years, basically the game is a century spanning Avengers/league of Extraordinary Gentlemen/Metal Gear Meta campaign. The Rough idea is that the game would start off as a gritty World War 1 campagin teaching the horrors of War. The PCs who survive will be honord as the allies top Special forces team, and everyone becomes a decorated Vet.

Meanwhile an international group of scientists experimenting with strange energy suffer a lab accident, some of them die, others missing, those who remain are forever changed with extraordinary intelligence. Members including, Nikola Tesla (missing), A French Officer with Nazi sympathies, An English Doctor/Lord with an intrest in the Arcane, two German Scientists, and an American Engineer and soon to be industrialise with a pension for REALLY BIG BLIMPS.

Then things progress into the interwar era and start to get pulpy. Zeppelins, religious artifacts, Aztec Gold, African expeditions, and some establishing clashes with the Nazis happen while the team is trying to enjoy "civilian" life.

World War Two kicks off as it did in our timeline, but those two german Scientists are designing the Nazis some "Strange New Tech" TM, the Day Germany invades France That French Officer who is now a Colonel do to demonstrated Hyper Compadance defects, and it's revealed He was feeding the Nazis information about French defenes for years. Paris is taken even quicker, and unless the PCs can do something Dunkirk will end very badly for the British Empire. The Campagin will really kick off when afterwards The team is pulled back to America where one of the German Scientist has escaped to. He's perfected a super soldier serum and the PCs are perfect Candidates.

Don't have a lot written down after that, just a few bullet points
>Post War PCs will be fighting Aliens, and doing a lot of Area 51 stuff.

1950s/60s
>After that, going to dive into some spy thriller cold war material, lots of betrayals culminating with America betraying the team itself and the heros losing faith in their countries.

Late 1960s
>Final straw is the revelation that a new super soldier serum is being used on troops in Vietnam, and it's horrible long term side effects were known well by the government.

1970s
>In a very Metal Gear Solid kinda way the PCs start their own PMC.

1990s
>by this point the PMC has grown into it's own nation state recognized by the UN with nuclear weapons.

2000s
>A global conspiracy to perpetuate war drives the PCs out of retirement. The ultimate reveal is that a secret society made up NAZI infiltrators and lead by the French officers cyborg head in a jar are controlling the world's governments and using warfare to drive economic and technological growth. Millions will die, but the rich and powerful in safe first world countries will reap untold benefits in the long run. The PCs blow up Frenchman's AI complex, without his ultra sophisticated superhuman brain to predict human behaviour the secret society won't be nearly as effective. The PCs are wanted international terrorists now, and with their nation state in ruin decide to go under ice to wait for things to cool off.

>Reign of Steel, but with one caveat. Overmind was created by the secret society to replace the frenchmen, but grew to resent the humans who controlled him controlling other humans. The new Irony is that Overmind was designed to control humans flawlessly, but proved utterly ineffective at controling his own AI children.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Dream Games You May Never Get to Play or Run

Is this specifically GURPS games, or would it fit better in the general roleplaying newsgroup?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
WaterAndWindSpirit

There are two games I'd like to be a player (not GM) in...

I am thou, thou art I.

A Persona fan campaign where I could finally play my troubled girl that descended into delinquency after being convicted of a crime she didn't commit through very rough interrogation and then sent to juvie where she acquired literal scars and learned how to fight, but who is at her core a wounded girl with a good heart and when she awakens her Persona, she'd jump at the chance of doing something better than what her life had gotten.

Welcome to a world of new solutions! Welcome to a world of bloody evolution!

A RWBY campaign where we all play a team of huntsman/huntresses in training.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #4
SilvercatMoonpaw

Amazing Detective Venture Engaged in Neutralizing Threats and Uncovering Relics Enterprises (ADVENTURE)

aka Mirrorskies

Premise

Mirrorskies* is a setting I came up with for a freeform game about half a decade or so ago, and was added to by the other players in the game as it progressed. People get around via portals known as nhn**. Can't make them, can't move them, can't close them, and they've (supposedly) always been there.

* The name doesn't have to mean anything; it just sounds kind of cool.

** Feel free to pronounce and spell it however you like: part of the multi-cultural-ness is that any given one is likely to be true somewhere.

The Mirrorskies are otherwise hard to explain other than they include everything in a pulp-ish mashup. Kind of like Ducktales meets Stargate meets everything else, done as an anime. Or like the LEGO Movie without the bits in space. I.e. a modern society with pockets of anachronism, lost stuff that is going to mess up your day, and a population of "normals" with the occasional master of weird stuff or secret society of power. The real differences are that the usual tech is around now or slightly advanced and that magic and multi-speciesism are generally accepted.

The wiki still exists, though it was reminders for us and not exhausting detail. Which is how this setting will remain, as I view settings as backdrops in front of which stuff happens rather than living worlds.

Themes of a Mirrorskies

Normally I'm not a fan of themes as they can feel like they turn a setting into some art project which isn't to be touched except by experts. But having actually developed the Mirrorskies through play I can actually feel comfortable saying some stuff is common:

Knowledge: Exploration and all that jazz. Stuff shouldn't remain secret. Cleverness is important (even if we occasionally enjoy our heroes square-jawed and two-fisted).
Courage: Fearing change makes bad stuff happen. Be bold and go see what's out there. Don't be suicidal, but don't let fear dictate your life. Stand up for those who can't stand up for themselves.
Community: It's not all about you and it's never going to affect just you. There are benefits to having friends and loved ones. The "hard choice" isn't "sacrifice a few for the good of a bunch of others", it's "at least try to save everyone".

The Nhn in Detail

* They are 2-dimensional.
* You can see through them: they aren't hidden by any means of their own. (They can be hidden if they fit behind something, but that's outside hiding.)
* They aren't contained in any sort of special structure (so they’re not like stargates).
* You can't feel any transition when you move through them. There's a "weird resistance" at the edge: enough that you can't go through if you don't all fit but not enough that it'll break parts off if you do that at high speeds (you will get stuck, but you'll be intact).
* They are completely unaffectable and unscannable Though they will stay in the same relative position if "attached" to something moving (like, say, a planet or floating island).
* No one has ever been able to create or destroy one.
* No one has ever seen one open or close.
* No nhihn has ever changed which two locations it goes between.
* General belief is that they are naturally-occurring despite their being no way to science this.
* Nhihn can get big. Big enough that whole, modern cities can comfortably sit across some of the larger ones. They are not known to get very small, but there's general ignorance and lack of investigation into the minimum size.

A Note on "Races"

In the Mirrorskies beings with upright spines, two arms, opposable thumbs, and forward-facing eyes are common. What they are not is called "humanoid": humans are just one among many "sub-types" of a "type" known as "pan". (Plural: pan or pans; Adjective: panian.) Many pan are so close or at a "human" baseline that, barring appearance, there's no reason to make a big deal about it other than to help out you readers at home.

Obviously, despite this, racism still exists: similarity to humans means similar flaws.
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
Colarmel

I wanted to do a loose AtE game beginning with mundane 100 point characters During the End.

Then flashing forward with the effects of those early decisions to the same PCs 5-10 years later.

Then a second flash-forward 30-50 years as the children of the original PCs try to preserve the civilization their parents built against some new external threat.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #6
Minuteman37

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Is this specifically GURPS games, or would it fit better in the general roleplaying newsgroup?
Not 100% sure, I'd say it's more GURPSy becouse the generic nature of the system lends itself well to niche game concepts you may not be able to find a group for. *Insert obscure system* in 2018 probably has its own forum were people who enjoy that kind of game congregate.

So I don't think people are struggling so much to play Stars without numbers as much as they're struggling to play "Space oprah, but everyone is a psychic vampire pickle working in a hospice care Center." The later would be much easier to run in gurps them Stars without numbers.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #7
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
Not 100% sure, I'd say it's more GURPSy becouse the generic nature of the system lends itself well to niche game concepts you may not be able to find a group for. *Insert obscure system* in 2018 probably has its own forum were people who enjoy that kind of game congregate.
Okay, that narrows my choices; for example, I won't talk about my ideas for Wraith campaigns, though I've wanted to run Wraith since the days when it was in print.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #8
Dalin

When I game, I'm often the GM, so I do long to be a player sometimes. Here are three games, off the top of my head, that I'd love to be part of:
  1. Lands out of Time — Something loosely along the lines of the old Land of the Lost TV show (which I was mesmerized by as a kid) or Conan Doyle's The Lost World.
  2. GURPS Blue Planet — I love the premise.
  3. GURPS Social Engineering — This isn't a campaign idea so much as a style of play. I'd love to be in a fully immersive social campaign just to see what its like. I could imagine a lot of fun options, whether Victorian court politics or an SF world along the lines of Ann Leckie's Imperial Radch books.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:16 PM   #9
AlexanderHowl

I have often wanted to play in a FF IV conversion before the events of the game.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:38 PM   #10
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
That French Officer who is now a Colonel do to demonstrated Hyper Compadance defects,.
I have read that sentence several times now and I don't get it. I get that there's a French Colonel who defects. But other than that, dunno...

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote