Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2018, 08:30 AM   #11
Otaku

Default Re: [Supers] Enter the Shadowguard - a Marvel Reboot Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I was told later that my portrayal of Hydra was a little off, because "Hydra offering benefits to civvie workers" was a little suspect. One of the players suspects they're not really Hydra, just someone using the Hydra name and uniform. The PCs are speculating ICly and OOCly as to why Hydra was apparently knocking off and stealing from black market dealers.
I wonder if your players really understand Hydra, or how many real world criminals, terrorists, dubious goverments, etc. operate. I mean, I've lived a very sheltered life, so it ain't like I've learned all of this first hand, but I'm not afraid to Google for half-remembered facts, be they from comics or (again) real life.

First things first, Phantasm: is Agent Bob an intentional reference to the canon character by the same name or not? Anyway, at least around 2007 (in our timeline), Hydra offers a dental plan, but not a full dental plan like AIM. Which is obviously there for laughs, but makes way too much sense when you stop and think about it.

Like I said, in the real world, crime tends to pay well. Not always, of course. Simply put, if one's criminal actions are enough to completely dominate another, they probably don't pay more than is necessary to retain functionality (which may be nothing at all!). Such organizations or individuals burn their bridges, and it can come back to bite them pretty bad. So you've got the other extreme, where someone is intentionally generous with his or her or the organization's money... because that money comes a lot more easily than honestly earned wages, and because that person is really buying more than the usual service.

They are buying silence and privacy, which can cost the person selling quite a bit as well. Phantasm, your Agent Bob was openly dressing as a Hydra Agent, right? So all of these folks knew they were working for a terrorist organization that had Nazi connections or origins (don't remember how your version runs). That means Hydra are either sympathetic to Hydra, being coerced, or being paid well. If Hydra only had one official goon running them, I doubt coercion was the motivating factor (or at least, not the main one).

So... yeah, knowing about the canon Agent Bob makes your player's disbelief even funnier. XD
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marvel, supers