Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Winged

Default Spells that manipulate time

Hi so recently I was inspired to build a character who is an expert in casting spells that manipulate time and I was a bit surprised to find that both basic and magic don't actually have a college of magic to facilitate this.

So here are my questions, what if any gurps products might have what I'm looking for, and if there are none help me make a list of existing spells that can just be learned to simulate a time college.

Here's what I've got so far.

reflexes
haste
Hinder
delay
Winged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Spells that manipulate time

I'm not aware of any time college, or related, for the standard spell system. As for creating a new Time College? I'd suggest looking at GURPS Powers, specifically the Time Mastery suite of powers on pg 135 for inspiration.

You could always drop the standard system and use one of the syntactic or realm-based systems instead; presuming either you are the GM and you feel like permitting it or your GM permits it.

EDIT: And I totally misread the original post. Oops! Listen to Refplace. :)

Last edited by Sunrunners_Fire; 07-12-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
Refplace

Your missing some out of Magic.
Gate spells
Timeport, Timeport Other, Timeslip, Timeslip Other, Rapid Journey, Beacon, Trace Teleport, Divert Teleport, Create Gate (and its sub category), Slow Time, Accelerate Time, Suspend Time, Time Out.

Also the History spell from the Knowledge College could be considered a Time spell.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
vierasmarius

There are a few Time spells in the Gate College: Slow Time, Suspend Time, Accelerate Time, Time Out, Timeport and Timeslip. There are also a few time-related spells in the Knowledge College: History and its derivatives for looking through time, Tell Time and Alarm for basic clock utility.

EDIT: Ninja'd =P
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Winged

Curses it never occurred to me to check the gate spells, thanks guys, I'll take a look at those.
Winged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winged View Post
Hi so recently I was inspired to build a character who is an expert in casting spells that manipulate time and I was a bit surprised to find that both basic and magic don't actually have a college of magic to facilitate this.
GURPS Magic has a bunch of them in the Gate college.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Of course, all those gate spells are very high end spells with lots of prereqs, a decent amount of energy and very powerful effects.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Of course, all those gate spells are very high end spells with lots of prereqs, a decent amount of energy and very powerful effects.
Obscenely powerful.
Time Out: So you know those learning through study rules? Spells no longer have energy costs. Also I fire 500 arrows at the bad guys.
Timeport: So you know how I need 2000 days to enchant this ring? I pop 2000 days into the past.
Accelerate time: So you know those learning through study rules? Well this isn't as bad as time out.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
So assign some of the spells in the Movement college, such as Haste, as alternate prereqs. It's plausible to view them as time manipulation.

There's also a time perception spell or two in the Knowledge college.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
Pomphis

Echoes of the Past, Images of the Past, Scents of the Past, Prehistory, Ancient History (History has already been mentioned)
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote