Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 07-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
jesdynf

Default Angelic Dialogue

Saw something that might be useful if you're trying to express Angelic. A few fanfic authors (in another fandom) started using an interesting trick for a particular character -- Arael, the Angel of Truth.

Quote:
"Can you not teach him stuff like that?" Sachiel asked, directing it toward Arael. The little bird shrugged.

"I simply helped (forced him to grow up[toyed with his little mind{defiled his innocence}]) him learn new things."
Four layers, with the inner three layers parenthetically nested within the first. Some or all of the words in the previous layer might have to be repeated to make the new layer make sense.

Read it as:

Quote:
"I simply helped him learn new things."
"I simply forced him to grow up."
"I toyed with his little mind."
"I defiled his innocence."
The outermost layer is polite or false, with the buried truths deeper in the phrase. Annoying to write, yes, but there's a peculiar kind of fun in reading it.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Angelic Dialogue

One of the posters here, known as tHEhERETIC, uses a similar trick to represent the angelic tongue, in which it is impossible to lie -- and thus, all the meanings associated with what you are saying come out:

"The British in particular, infantry from King George's regulars the scumbags are coming!"

First layer is spoken truth, second layer is typically further clairfication, third layer and below tend to be personal thoughts or mulled-upon options.

Here's a very advanced version of this that she worked up for a game once: http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c.../Celestial.jpg

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"

Last edited by Rocket Man; 07-16-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
Matthias Wasser

Default Re: Angelic Dialogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Here's a very advanced version of this that she worked up for a game once: http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c.../Celestial.jpg
Wow. You {tHEhERETIC, and to a lesser extent this thread as a whole} just {now} made me {allowed me to} like {some hitherto unseen aspect of} Angelic {but I still dislike the effects on the setting}. Bravo {I mostly like how compact, if blunt, an emotional expression this little snippet contains}.
Matthias Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angels