Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #21
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Who's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk
Maybe you did - the actual correct spelling of the name of Alaemon, Prince of Secrets is no doubt a secret. <g>
:) That'll teach me to post without having my books handy. Or re-reading your posts, for that matter. (blush) It almost makes you long for a sorcerer named "Tim."

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #22
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man
One interesting possibility might be to combine
Two things, I fear.

1) The original lineup had working titles of:
• Peace and Nature, with Eli, Novalis, Jordi, and Christopher.
• Pillars and Wildcards, with Janus, Jean, Marc, Litheroy, and Zadkiel.

2) The mechanics of e23 both permit and reward one-Superior e-books.
• They're faster to organize (requiring only one author, though of course more can join forces (see Asmodeus)).
• Faster to playtest.
• Faster to lay out.
• Allow players and game masters to cherry-pick their favorites first. (Though I hope, of course, that they'll go back and get everyone eventually.)

Unless the POD status for IN changes drastically, I don't think there will be any more combined books like the first four were. (And, considering the page count issues, I actually have no problem with that.) As the first
four go out of print, I will suggest breaking them up into singletons, too -- though I don't know if that will be considered a good use of e23-staff's time, so they may continue to be collections, at that.

EDIT: *beth gives robkelk an Essence cookie* O:>
Old 03-18-2008, 02:07 AM   #23
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth
Two things, I fear.

1) The original lineup had working titles of:
• Peace and Nature, with Eli, Novalis, Jordi, and Christopher.
• Pillars and Wildcards, with Janus, Jean, Marc, Litheroy, and Zadkiel.

2) The mechanics of e23 both permit and reward one-Superior e-books.
• They're faster to organize (requiring only one author, though of course more can join forces (see Asmodeus)).
• Faster to playtest.
• Faster to lay out.
• Allow players and game masters to cherry-pick their favorites first. (Though I hope, of course, that they'll go back and get everyone eventually.)

Unless the POD status for IN changes drastically, I don't think there will be any more combined books like the first four were. (And, considering the page count issues, I actually have no problem with that.) As the first
four go out of print, I will suggest breaking them up into singletons, too -- though I don't know if that will be considered a good use of e23-staff's time, so they may continue to be collections, at that.

Fair enough. I was just wandering through the Vale of Dreams for a bit. I confess to preferring dead-tree editions (they're a lot more handy in a power outage), but I certainly understand the economics behind the e23 decisions. All the same, if you guys decide to go back and do those remaining Superiors combined books, I'll be in line with a credit card and a smile.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #24
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

If IN suddenly became extremely popular, I'm sure there would be POD editions in its future! (As in, "lots and lots of people buy the e23-only stuff.") It's how some GURPS books have jumped from e23 to POD, I know.

In the meantime, a laptop with batteries works for the power outages, and printing and comb-binding probably suffices for dragging something into the bathroom without worrying about getting water in the electronics, yes? *grin*
Old 03-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #25
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylrlsaa
I don't think we'll be seeing a book for an extinct band of angels.
Of course not!

Angels come in Choirs, not Bands.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #26
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth
Happy to help.

I don't suppose I could trade it for the ability to buy a copy of Superiors: Zadkiel, could I? (Before my next birthday, early this summer, that is... Or am I back in Blandine's side of the vale again?)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #27
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Cross your fingers that indexing and layout goes smoothly, and nothing Horribly Unexpected happens.

*peers at the snow falling outside* It is nowhere near summer, so I can feel more hopeful about the timing.

(It ain't summer -- ain't spring, neither -- till the snow stops.)
Old 03-19-2008, 10:56 PM   #28
Sagitta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen
I wouldn't like to bet on them being extinct, really. There's a lot of references in various products that suggest that there are at least some Grigori still extant. If nothing else, it would pretty hard to actually soul-kill all of them, if they maintained any modicum of caution.
Is there a canonical description of what the Grigori's punishment was/is? ISTR one of the books saying they were sentenced to 'live out the remainder of their long lives on Earth'. That suggests to me they were bound into vessels, much like undead. Presumably those that had no vessels were given one, hopefully an unaging variety.

Back in those days, might there have been some outcasts who escaped punishment because they could not be found? And what of Grigori who were in Trauma or Limbo?
Sagitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #29
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitta
Is there a canonical description of what the Grigori's punishment was/is? ... Back in those days, might there have been some outcasts who escaped punishment because they could not be found? And what of Grigori who were in Trauma or Limbo?
Outcasting was the punishment. Grigori without Vessels were presumably either given one, or sentenced to roam the Marches. The main point of Outcasting is that one is shunned by angels and cannot return to Heaven.

All the Grigori were guilty, else their sentence would have been unjust. Grigori who were in Trauma or Limbo when sentence was passed, if any, would have discovered upon return to consciousness that they were Outcast. Most of those in Limbo would be so already. Given that cracking the Heart of an angel in Trauma has serious effects upon their waking, sentence might have been passed upon such angels and mercifully suspended until they recovered.

So, technically, there might be a Grigori still sitting in Heaven somewhere, in Trauma for twenty millenia, not yet Outcast, still staring at his Heart, or a Grigori floating in Limbo, who isn't yet aware of his Choirmates' punishment. However, these angels would be MacGuffins, basically -- angels in such states rarely re-emerge. It's canon that angels know of no current Grigori for certain.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 AM   #30
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

*nod* In my SSO game, I think the topic of "Grigori who were in Trauma/Limbo at the time" came up. While the Grigori PC was awake for the Outcasting, he was in Trauma (and Limbo) for long stretches afterwards and tended to be unaware of Common Knowledge of the modern times. Like Uriel being yoinked upstairs, and for what, and dragons being extinct and whatnot.

A modern-day Grigori, newly-wakened from Trauma, given a modern language and clothes and vessel, and kicked downstairs... would make an excellent MacGuffin, as either a NPC or PC.

Tags
meta, superiors