Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #11
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: RPG Jutsu - GURPS Content for Ninjas

Some REALLY great stuff here. Keep it up.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #12
Pseudonym

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Rules Lawyer - GMs are Self Destructive

The idea of Rules Laywers has been talked about all over the place. It's generally regarded as a bad practice that hurts play.

What happens when the GM is doing it to themselves?

This article examines how the GM tends to hurt themselves and their games in ways they may not have realized they are doing.

Rules Lawyer - GMs are Self Destructive
Something I'm training myself to do less. Is there a way to post comments directly to your blog without registration?
Old 02-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #13
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
Something I'm training myself to do less. Is there a way to post comments directly to your blog without registration?
Not at the moment, mostly because bots like to start posting when you allow that. I'll probably add more social network login methods so people can just post from those.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #14
GodBeastX

Cinematic Reality - Armor of the Big Screen

Often we're presented with realistic rules on how systems should perform within GURPS. Sometimes this is perfect for settings needing this detail. Some campaigns want to shake their fists at reality and bring about a cinematic reality.

This is the first article (of possibly many) in my series I will call Cinematic Reality. It challenges the idea that realism is needed for play and gives a framework for building armor in a cinematic universe.

Feedback is always welcome.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #15
Christopher R. Rice

Damn. That's...damn. Wow. That should have been a Pyramid article.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #16
Wavefunction

Quote:
This is the first article (of possibly many) in my series I will call Cinematic Reality. It challenges the idea that realism is needed for play and gives a framework for building armor in a cinematic universe.
Okay, this set some synapses firing in my brain, and I think I may have come up with something that has a similar effect, but maybe works a little better and fits the existing rules a bit better. I'm not sure, but see what you think.

Basically when I saw Armor Points, before I read the article I made the connection to Impulse Points/Destiny Points/whatever you want to call them. After reading it I think you could treat Armor Points as Impulse Points granted by armor, and restricted to appropriate actions. Buying defenses is the obvious one, but most of the options you list would be appropriate.

You could even have options for using Armor Points when you don't have them, but this grants your opponent Armor Points to use against you, or possibly the GM to buy failure on your rolls. This seems to model the kind of back and forth situation you get in a lot of cinematic fights.

Don't know, needs fleshing out, but I quite like it.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:22 AM   #17
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
Okay, this set some synapses firing in my brain, and I think I may have come up with something that has a similar effect, but maybe works a little better and fits the existing rules a bit better. I'm not sure, but see what you think.

Basically when I saw Armor Points, before I read the article I made the connection to Impulse Points/Destiny Points/whatever you want to call them. After reading it I think you could treat Armor Points as Impulse Points granted by armor, and restricted to appropriate actions. Buying defenses is the obvious one, but most of the options you list would be appropriate.

You could even have options for using Armor Points when you don't have them, but this grants your opponent Armor Points to use against you, or possibly the GM to buy failure on your rolls. This seems to model the kind of back and forth situation you get in a lot of cinematic fights.

Don't know, needs fleshing out, but I quite like it.
I could see them becoming a point pool where people pay for various effects on the fly. That could be an interesting feature too where maybe you choose when your armor matters. In that sense it almost could be like a trump card that nobody remembers in the movie until it becomes important.

Like Lord of the Rings Frodo had the Mythril Armor on and then his PC decides "Yup, I got this armor on, I'm gonna spend a point and say it affects that attack there". That's very Cinematic, I like it.

For me, however, I feel it might be a little too much book keeping for my players I work with. When you have "Consumables" they have a tendency to hold onto them until there is no other choice.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #18
GodBeastX

Future Jutsu – Coming Soon to a Site Near You

With GURPS day here I thought I would share a bit about my plans for the future of RPG Jutsu. There's some good stuff I hope people will be interested in. As always feedback is welcome!

Future Jutsu – Coming Soon to a Site Near You
Old 02-04-2016, 10:52 AM   #19
Wavefunction

Quote:
I could see them becoming a point pool where people pay for various effects on the fly. That could be an interesting feature too where maybe you choose when your armor matters. In that sense it almost could be like a trump card that nobody remembers in the movie until it becomes important.

Like Lord of the Rings Frodo had the Mythril Armor on and then his PC decides "Yup, I got this armor on, I'm gonna spend a point and say it affects that attack there". That's very Cinematic, I like it.
Yeah, I was thinking of situations where the attack has no effect until that final time when it does, i.e. when the player runs out of Armor Points to spend on buying success.

Quote:
For me, however, I feel it might be a little too much book keeping for my players I work with. When you have "Consumables" they have a tendency to hold onto them until there is no other choice.
Possibly the same for my players, they certainly forget about Luck most of the time. I think if it was a main feature of the campaign though, eventually they'd get used to the idea. Possibly.

BTW, there's been some great stuff on this blog so far, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Synergy setting works out.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:53 AM   #20
Edges

Quote:

Often we're presented with realistic rules on how systems should perform within GURPS. Sometimes this is perfect for settings needing this detail. Some campaigns want to shake their fists at reality and bring about a cinematic reality.

Feedback is always welcome.

This is pretty awesome.

How much play testing has it seen?
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blogs