Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #11
Anders

Default Re: McGonagall - Foster Jenkins - Wiseau

Well, I would hope that I would understand that repeating the three same scenes over and over was bad, or that a scene that was begun in daylight should be shot in daylight... when it comes to Wiseau as a director, the most generous you can be is pointing out that he was stuck with Wiseau as an actor and with a screenplay written by Wiseau... not even Scorsese or Kurosawa could have saved that (would be hilarious to watch Michael Bay's version, though).

ETA: What you're saying is interesting, though. I wonder if Jenkins could have had Amusia.

Last edited by Anders; 09-30-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Anders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
ETA: What you're saying is interesting, though. I wonder if Jenkins could have had Amusia.
Definitely not. I've heard Jenkins's surviving recordings. She was bad, not incapable of making music-like sounds.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #13
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Definitely not. I've heard Jenkins's surviving recordings. She was bad, not incapable of making music-like sounds.
You're probably right. But 4% of the population, that's pretty frequent. Anyway, not relevant.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #14
VulpesFulva

For someone like Jenkins, think more the infamous Mrs. Miller from the 60s, who was, perhaps, unfairly set up to fail by her record label: Arguments of the directors conducting her a half-beat ahead or behind the backing music, deliberately choosing the worst take for the album, etc.
VulpesFulva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #15
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Default Possible ploy --

I read somewhere on line (a phrase that states that the following information is only slightly less credible than "a little bird told me") that McGonigle (sp?) actually knew quite well how bad his stuff was. However, he was shrewd enough to realize that audiences would pay to hear him perform the worst poetry ever written.

Apparently he made a good living for himself and his family doing so. His financial success, however, would vanish if audiences realized that he knew bad he was -- they were laughing at him being so apparently unaware.

As such, you might say McGonigle was an early practitioner of performance art -- the total experience, not the poetry, was the draw.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:42 AM   #16
Mr Frost

Default Re: Possible ploy --

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtheobviouspseudonym View Post
I read somewhere on line (a phrase that states that the following information is only slightly less credible than "a little bird told me") that McGonigle (sp?) actually knew quite well how bad his stuff was. However, he was shrewd enough to realize that audiences would pay to hear him perform the worst poetry ever written.

Apparently he made a good living for himself and his family doing so. His financial success, however, would vanish if audiences realized that he knew bad he was -- they were laughing at him being so apparently unaware.

As such, you might say McGonigle was an early practitioner of performance art -- the total experience, not the poetry, was the draw.
Kaufman mastered this .
You could call these sorts of performers a type of professional troll .

To realistically represent someone like this you should give them good skill in some speciality of Psychology {I'm not sure what would be the right choice} , performance {it must be done well to work} and probably fast talk too as it straddles the line between a legitimate performance/satire and a scam and every now and then a punter might call you out on it in public .

Patron (Entertainment group corporation) wouldn't be out of place either . If you can sell it , the big boys want a piece .

Bigwigs in the entertainment industry like to see what they can get away with too .

Notice how many someone's got talent "contestants" are actually pretty woeful and yet they score well , get praised by the judges and the clearly canned or rented audience still scream over like they're superstars then in some cases get record deals ?
Think , the villains' plan in The Adventures of Ford Fairlane only for the opposite of the "make the industry implode" part .

Hell , look at Keanu Reeves : no personality , no emotion , no charisma , no real acting ability , just a very basic performance of two or three "cookie cutter" characters and He isn't even that likeable .
He is a talentless pretty-boy only fit to have been a male model {and there isn't any shortage of attractive people wanting to be movie stars in America} yet is constantly McAdvertised at us like the sorts of fast food no one would buy if it wasn't for the adverts carefully tailored by advertising executives with degrees in psychology {that's how McBank is McMade by McCorporations that sell you McRubbish that in your right mind you would never Mcbuy ; psychology can be used for evil without being Hannibal Lecter . Yes , it's a pet peeve :) Also I should point out that those products don't sell because they are cheap , here in Australia , a McDonalds meal is more expensive per the gram than a similar meal from the typical fish and chip shop by as much as double on average . It is purely down to applied psychology in advertising} in $100+ million budget movies they know will profit the same way McDonalds knows you'll buy an overpriced burger that tastes like sawdust in cardboard with artificial flavour laden condiments and when they really want a giggle there is the "Springtime for Hitler"/"The Producers" scam that can be done in ways where even the insurance company profits .

Anyone really think Keanu made it on talent ?
Even if He was the favourite crumpet of every gay Hollywood bigshot and they were left footed to a man , in a country of 300 million people famous for amongst other things its' large and diverse population of confident gay people there would be thousands at least as attractive willing to indulge in almost any debauchery required to have billionaire sugardaddies . So even that talent couln't have done it .
He is a slightly more subtle corporate created version of the subject at hand .

Same goes for Justin Biebler ; there must have been hundreds of lads in North America just as good looking but with far greater talent etc already on the books of legitimate talent agents {a tip for kiddies : if a big industry player wants a rare talent of some sort that they don't already have prepared and you're it , they don't wait for you to come to them through adverts for courses -those are just to line the agents' pocket- , the talent agents will outright headhunt you and throw as much money , poontang and drugs at you as they think they need to get you on board . Just like major airlines don't get their top jumbo jet pilots out of flight school through newspaper adds , they actively and at some expense pursue fighter pilots straight out of first world militaries the way American Colleges hunt down the best young natural athletes which is then where the big leagues source their talent ... get how it works now ?} yet what is presented is more like an internet joke .
They spent millions on that second rate buffoon that they could easily have spent on far better talent that probably would still have worn that ridiculous haircut and acted just as gay {notice how He almost never looked at or touched His "girlfriend" and the one time He touched Her intimately He is looking away with an expression of distaste on His face ? She is His beard , and if you think an openly gay musician wouldn't have been marketable , google "Village People" . I have nothing against gay folk by the way , just pointing out what is right under our nose} .

People that actually own such enterprises and thus actually control where the big money {$100+ million each type productions} will make sure they'll make a profit before the first real penny {beyond the basic operating cost of the studio etc} is spent .
Forget the blatant hype of bizarre studio antics where hundreds of millions are given to lunatics for no apparent reason , those are just lurid stories to sell magazines and T.V. shows which bring in not only money when sold premium but make huge profits from adverts too , not to mention they keep your interest .
In reality , the kind of people that make enough money to become major shareholders of corporate monsters like Disney get that rich by never , ever investing in anything less than a sure thing . Consistent winners don't gamble , they calculate accurately .

Keanu Reeves , Justin Beibler and other Mcproducts are profit making troll characters that also work to lower the bar for what people will pay money to access which makes getting "talent" that does what it's told {wacky antics to grab attention and provide T.V. and magazine/ezine comtent included} an awful lot easier to make and profit from .
Really smart investors get paid more than once per investment .
Old 10-01-2014, 06:39 AM   #17
Anders

What I've heard about Keanu Reeves is that he's always there on time, sober and non-high, always polite, never throws any temper tantrums. If you have a tight shooting schedule, that's worth a lot.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:46 AM   #18
pgb

Unless they are very self-aware in the way suggested for McGonagall, a key part of this is being thick-skinned when it comes to criticism. This is clearly DR (Tough Skin, -40%; Figurative only, -80%) [1/level]!
pgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #19
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
What I've heard about Keanu Reeves is that he's always there on time, sober and non-high, always polite, never throws any temper tantrums. If you have a tight shooting schedule, that's worth a lot.
Yeah, being a real professional with no major mental Disadvantages and a decent Willpower who always knows his lines counts for a lot in the entertainment industry, even if you're not-so-bright. It's Phil Hartman rare that you get that kind of discipline in the same package as intelligence among people inclined to something like acting.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #20
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Yeah, being a real professional with no major mental Disadvantages and a decent Willpower who always knows his lines counts for a lot in the entertainment industry, even if you're not-so-bright.
Similar attributes count for a lot in a number of industries. For example, you don't have to be a great writer to build a publishing career. You just have to be good enough to get to print, communicate well with your editors, and reliably hit your word counts and deadlines (he said, perhaps a bit too knowingly).

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
character building