Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 07-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #31
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: My In Nomine wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegonthesane View Post
Fledging itself is automatic and involuntary upon reaching the needed Forces. So the question becomes whether you can "grow" Forces without a Superior.
Thank you for the more precise wording.

APG suggests a Superior is needed ... but only suggests:

Eventually, relievers can
gather additional power and
additional Forces through
faithful service

(p. 87, emphasis mine.)

On the other hand, IPG suggests that the accretion can happen outside someone's command:

Successful infernal spirits can gain
experience and acquire more Forces.
Eventually, if they aren’t smashed
first, they will gain enough power to
become a full-fledged demon.

(p. 95)

I don't know if that's a qualitative difference between Heaven and Hell, a difference between two authors' writing style, or a change in interpretation for the line that may require an errata ... but either way, it may be worth some clarification in an expansion.

And of course, a big thing that Liber Auxilia (Book of Helpers) could provide is a sample adventure centered around minor spirits, just to show how it could be done.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #32
Omegonthesane

I don't know if it's outright Canon Doubt and Uncertainty, but this entry in the FAQ implies it was never officially decided one way or the other: The difference between buying whole Forces and building them up
Omegonthesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #33
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
The relievers, imps, and gremlins have some amount of data already in extant books, don't they?
One page in the core rulebook, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
I.e., what more would you want of a "writeup" on those? (Which isn't to say that I wouldn't put it into my smoke and mirrors vaporware "plans," but I'd want a case made for it besides, "Well, it would pad out the book nicely." O;> )
Besides what Rocket Man and Omegonthesane have mentioned, some suggestions for actually playing one of the unfledged (either as a PC - some folks are just that wacky - or an NPC) would be in order. What sorts of missions are they sent on? For that matter, are they sent on missions at all, or are they like Saints in that they choose what to do? Why don't they need Vessels or hosts to operate on Earth when every other Celestial does (including AAs and DPs)? How do they advance? How do they work with Corporeals, Ethereals, or other Celestials? (For that matter, do they work at all with Ethereals or other Celestials?)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #34
Omegonthesane

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
One page in the core rulebook, yes.
Be fair - they both get their subsections in APG/IPG too, as Rocket Man cited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Besides what Rocket Man and Omegonthesane have mentioned, some suggestions for actually playing one of the unfledged (either as a PC - some folks are just that wacky - or an NPC) would be in order. What sorts of missions are they sent on? For that matter, are they sent on missions at all, or are they like Saints in that they choose what to do? Why don't they need Vessels or hosts to operate on Earth when every other Celestial does (including AAs and DPs)? How do they advance? How do they work with Corporeals, Ethereals, or other Celestials? (For that matter, do they work at all with Ethereals or other Celestials?)
They'd better be able to work routinely with other Celestials - "real" PCs can buy them as Servants...

More seriously, APG and IPG do give example un-fledged "PCs" and what they do with their lives, including a Gremlin of Nightmares whose purpose in life is to be The Monster Under The Bed in some subset of Earth, manifesting celestially to fill children with primal fear.

I would generally envision most unFledged being put on low-risk, low-skilled assignments - things "anyone can do" more often than not, because neither side has the manpower to waste the talents of the fully Fledged on mundane things.

I don't believe it ever explains why relievers and imps/gremlins are an exception to the rule about celestial forms being booted back to the celestial realm or Limbo after a certain length of time without Vessel-ifying. Forced to come up with an explanation, I would say something about how Fledging draws the Symphony's notice and annoyance, but I'd be more inclined to just drop that rule if it requires special exceptions to let the unfledged go around not having Vessels. The local table already had before I joined it.
Omegonthesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #35
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

I believe the theory is that the unFledged are "too widdle" to be noticed. Don't ask me how a 7-Force demon is different from a 7-Force reliever. >_>

(And, yes, bearing in mind that there's stuff in the APG/IPG -- what more need be said? (And, again, I am open to persuasion; I made O_o eyes about a Book of Tethers, but was pretty pleased with the result.))

Tags
meta, wish list