Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 07-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #31
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: a thought on Malakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
"And after Armageddon, those of us who survive will take care of the Ofanite Problem..." :)
Heh. Well, Malakim probably lecture Ofanim all the time about the distinction between necessary and unnecessary risk. The Ofanim smile, nod, and continue to drive 150 mph when they're going out to get a Slurpee. :-)
Kelly Pedersen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #32
Orlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
Ooh...I hadn't thought of that.

As it is the Malakite's obnoxious 'my way or no way' behavior has landed them in even hotter water. I am anxious to see how they get out of this.

Sadly I am not sure having the Destiny angel come to them and talk to them would work.

"It's War. Civilians gets hurt by friendly fire and there are always casualties."

Yes, he did say this to his commander. Mind you, this guy was hand picked by Michael...
Okay, while I absolutely agree that there is no OOC way to solve IC problems and the absolute best form of correction for this sort of behavior is probably a private discussion -- there may be one "last resort" that you could consider. If your player's Malakite has been hand-picked by Michael, but has a penchant for slaughtering civilians in the crossfire...perhaps the next time he meets his superior, the two of them could go for a walk and talk?

Michael does not seem to me like the sort of Archangel who would wax favorably on one of his servitors shirking the warnings of his commander or providing half-hearted excuses for allowing the innocent to fall by his hand, even on accident. Even from one of his favored servitors. Especially from one of his favored servitors. Yes, War is terrible -- but if your Malakite has lost sight of why they're fighting the war, then perhaps an attitude adjustment is appropriate?

What if Michael took your wayward Malakite for a walk in the groves and showed him a proud, grizzled veteran Remiel, "He who stands above," who shared a similar lack of compassion for the innocent? One that has spent the last century (or two, or five, or millennium), training the youngin's on the field. Far away from Earth. For so long that actual field combat is just a sketchy shadow of a memory to him, even though he's an angel. Did I mention he used to be a favored Servitor as well?

I'm sure Remiel would just love to get back down to earth and start kicking some demon ass. You would like that, wouldn't you Remiel? Of course, we'd need to find you a replacement. Someone just as reckless, but who could be cultivated into a fine soldier given a few hundred years of teaching fresh recruits in the art of basic training. Someone with a little more recent field experience.

"...Say, are you looking for a new job? Sure you wouldn't be too eager to run the groves for a while? A few hundred years, maybe? Not your thing? Then get your ass in gear."

Afterward, it might not be a bad idea to demand an oath from the player never again to allow the innocent to suffer by his hand. But as was previously stated, if the issue is OOC, address it in that department first. Or, if this solution appeals to you, afterward.

Michael might not be able to stand the Archangel of Judgment in the least, but that doesn't mean that he isn't ready and willing to punish any servitor who gets too uppity too quickly via his own methods. And the thought of spending centuries off of the field, for one of the Malakim, has got to be a great deal more frightening than simply ceasing to exist.

Gotta run off to work for now.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #33
JCD

I like the thought and the object lesson and even the new oath etc which SHOULD get any thinking role player to reconsider his position. (There is a keyword in that last sentence...)

Here is the problem with that. What does Dissonance MEAN to a character like that? 'Oh, I can't use my stupid good/bad detector on people as well? Too bad, so sad. Pass the ammo. Of course I'm doing my job, I'm killing DEMONS aren't I? That automatically makes me the GOOD guy.'

And such soliphism also would extend to any massive hunt by other Malakim to get the idiot who is making them look bad, i.e. undisiciplined, untrustworthy, and uncontrolled. The violence? Don't care about so much.

Now if suddenly Dissonance cut into STRENGTH...
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #34
ladyarcana55

JCD an I were talking about that and I really liked his ideas.

Michael: "Okay...since you feel that way, fine. You're right. It IS War and things happen, but let's make sure you get in on the fun"

DISCORD: Disturbance Weakness-for every 2 points of Disturbance you cause you gain 1 Body Hit.

I really like that idea!
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angels, malakim