Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 12-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
owenmp

Default Chassis and Crossbow Compilation

The SJ Games Web site, whether on the Car Wars Web site or on Warehouse 23, should have a "Chassis and Crossbow Compilation," a collection of all rules published for Chassis and Crossbow. This publication should include C&C First Edition from ADQ 1/3 and C&C Second Edition from Dueltrack.

A "Chassis and Crossbow Compilation" would be a helpful baseline of rules for low-tech Car Wars gaming.
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:06 AM   #2
Racer

Default Re: Chassis and Crossbow Compilation

C&C Article/Adventures from ADQ 4/4 & slightly more Tech Advanced additional Rules from ADQ 7/2 Mutant Zone could be added to . Military items that would be available in C&C games - fixed Open Mounts , AA Mounts , Telescopic Sights , Binoculars etc - could also be added . Construction Vehicles (ADQ 10/3) turned into makeshift AFVs happen in real life & this should be explored also .
Old 12-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #3
owenmp

Dear Racer,

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking of many of your ideas.

Having the "officially designated Chassis and Crossbow" rules in one place could be helpful in determining what areas of the rules need additions such as the ones you wrote.

There are a few ideas from Mad Max: Fury Road that should be included as options in a Chassis and Crossbow rules set. :o)

I believe all of the official Chassis and Crossbow rules sources are listed below.

Newswatch: History of Mexico/Texas Relations

Autoduel Quarterly: The Journal of the American Autoduel Association. Vol 1, No. 3. Autumn 2033 (1983). Steve Jackson Games. p. 3.

Chassis and Crossbow First Edition: Low-Tech Autoduelling

Chris Smith, Norman Banduch and Scott D. Haring. Autoduel Quarterly Vol. 1, No. 3. Steve Jackson Games. Fall 2033 (1983). pp. 12-18.

Chassis and Crossbow First Edition: Playing with Fire

Chris Smith, Norman Banduch, and Scott D. Haring. Autoduel Quarterly: The Journal of the American Autoduel Association. Vol. 1, No. 3. Steve Jackson Games. Fall 2033 (1983). pp. 19-25.

Chassis and Crossbow First Edition Part II: The Later Years

Chris Smith, Norman Banduch and Scott D. Haring. Autoduel Quarterly: The Journal of the American Autoduel Association. Vol. 1, No. 3. Steve Jackson Games. Fall 2033 (1983). pp. 25-27.

Dueltrack Chapter 4: Chassis and Crossbow Second Edition

Dueltrack: A Car Wars Deluxe Supplement. Steve Jackson Games. 1986. pp. 14-18.

Mini-Scenario 4. The Defense of Wooded Grove: A Chassis and Crossbow Mini-Scenario

Andrew Metzger. Autoduel Quarterly: The Journal of the American Autoduel Association. Vol. 4, No. 4. Steve Jackson Games. Winter 2036 (1986). pp. 26-27.

Mutant Zone: A Chassis and Crossbow Adventure

Charles A. Oines and David N. Searle. Autoduel Quarterly: The Journal of the American Autoduel Association. Vol. 7, No. 2. Summer 2039 (1989). Steve Jackson Games. pp. 8-15.

Rawhide: A Chassis and Crossbow Mini-Scenario

Eric Reel. Autoduel Quarterly: The Journal of the American Autoduel Association. Vol. 8, No. 2. Summer 2040 (1990). Steve Jackson Games. pp. 11-12.

Chassis and Crossbow questions in ADQ&A. Various issues of Autoduel Quarterly.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
43Supporter

One other problem with _C&C_: Remember that gas engines suffered a 50% weight increase after _Dueltrack_ was published; every one of the _C&C_ sample vehicles is incorrect. (I have in my files "updated" versions of these.)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:49 AM   #5
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
One other problem with _C&C_: Remember that gas engines suffered a 50% weight increase after _Dueltrack_ was published; every one of the _C&C_ sample vehicles is incorrect. (I have in my files "updated" versions of these.)
Of course the chassis are not the normal CW ones either (extra free space inside and default armour) and so perhaps the engine weights are more appropriate to C&C era vehicles. This is the trouble with transplanting rules from one vision of the rules into another without editing (Echoing 43's mantra).
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
owenmp

One reason there are many useful rules missing in Chassis and Crossbow is the Car Wars core rules were still be developed when Chassis and Crossbow First and Second Editions were published. Chassis and Crossbow First Edition was written before Dueltrack, the supplement that introduced gasoline engines and metal armor to Car Wars. Gasoline engines and metal armor are two types of items essential for Chassis and Crossbow games.

If a Chassis and Crossbow Third Edition is ever written, the Wrist Crossbow from GURPS Autoduel First Edition, and Explosive Lances from Mad Max: Fury Road, need to be added to the rules. :o)
Old 12-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
43Supporter

There's also the differences between C&C as published in _ADQ 1/3_, and _Dueltrack_ -- for ex.: 1/3 rules for how cars take damage from hand weapons is a little more convoluted than _DT_; as are the vehicle-modification rules (they can hardly be called "construction" rules). (I don't see anything about "extra free spaces", tho'.)

79er

Old 01-16-2019, 12:17 AM   #8
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
If a Chassis and Crossbow Third Edition is ever written, the Wrist Crossbow from GURPS Autoduel First Edition, and Explosive Lances from Mad Max: Fury Road, need to be added to the rules. :o)
GRENADE SPEAR:
Cost: $50 + [cost of grenade type]. May use Impact Fuse: $50.
GE: 2
Wgt.: 5 lbs.
T-H: 9 [thrown]; 7 [strike]
Dmg.: [per grenade type]
Rng.: 5"
Scatter: 1/2x rolled distance, round down

-- Like a regular Replica Spear, except the spearhead is replaced with a Grenade.
-- The spear's greater in-flight stability reduces the amount of scatter.
-- Note that if the Grenade Spear is detonated while being held, the user is most-likely within area-of-effect of the grenade.
-- If a Limpet-type device is attached, wgt. is 7 lbs.

ATLATL:
Cost: $25
GE: 1
Wgt.: 2 lbs.
Dmg.: [N/A]

-- When used to throw a Spear-type weapon: Range increases to 10"; T-H reduces to 7.

WRIST CROSSBOW:

Cost: $50; ammo $2/shot.
GE: 1/2; ammo 1 GE/20 shots
Wgt.: 1 lb.; ammo 1 lb./20 shots
T-H: 6
Dmg.: 1d6-4, min. 1 [personnel and tires only]
Rng.: 10"

-- Takes 2 turns to reload
-- Firer may not use another weapon with the hand firing the WC
-- Limit 1 WC per arm
-- WC and regular Crossbow bolts may not be interchanged

79er

Old 02-05-2019, 11:19 PM   #9
ConfusedDad

Quote:
If a Chassis and Crossbow Third Edition is ever written,...
I really prefer the Mad Max level of technology for auto battles, so yeah, if a Chassis and Crossbow Third Edition is ever produced, SIGN ME UP!!!
ConfusedDad is offline   Reply With Quote