Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 01:49 AM   #121
swordtart

Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

To be honest it doesn't sound like they are interested in automotive combat. Outrider uses 3d models and is the same genre, so I am not sure just going 3d will cut it (and you could just use Car Wars 5th edition if that was the case).

I know some players who would play Wings of War as an alternative to "real" war-games because it is an abstraction of historical dogfights. They could get their nerd on about the stats of the planes and pilots. They even played x-wing as light relief (as there was an established cannon of material to refer to) but had no interest in "made-up" games like WH40K or CW even though they had similar game mechanics to other games they would play.

You could show the Mad Max or Deathrace films and see if the idea of fast cars with guns is of any interest in principle. Car Wars doesn't quite fit with these films, but you could get close.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #122
Magesmiley

Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
I loved playing Classic Car Wars with the paper cars. The newest printing felt Swank to me, since the cars are now decent cardstock. I've always played Car Wars with more imagination than toys.

BUT, I can't get anyone else local to play like that. Bowling Green has 2 big games. MTG and 40K. We've had a small amount of success with X-Wing, about 10 players.

Some of the X-Wing players are vaguely interested in CW 6th ed. But they have no interest in Classic (I can't even give copies away). OR in any of the other vehicle combat games like Outrider, etc. I've tried to get stuff going but can't get people interested.

When 6th hits Kickstarter, I think I've got 2 local players who will pick up some for themselves. I'm going to have to do the bulk of the buying, so that I can loan and give away some stuff to get a group started.
It almost sounds like you might need to up your game, so to speak. Round up some Hot Wheels or Matchbox cars and mount them on some heavy cardstock. Print out some counters and turn keys from one of the pdfs at 3x normal size on some carstock. Get yourself a black (or grey) tablecloth for a battlefield. Get some chunks of Styrofoam and spray them grey to serve as bunkers. Print out a blown-up copy of the movement and control tables and mount them on heavy cardstock or foam core (only go up to 100-130 mph, anything past that is a waste of space at 3X, unless you're racing). Voila, a fairly low-cost 3X set that can be played using the 4th edition rules, but which looks a fair bit better.

You might be surprised at the number of people who will give even a low-cost 3X 3D setup a try that won't even give the cardboard counters setup a second glance.

FWIW, I was perfectly happy playing Car Wars with the counters. But what I've found is that for a lot of people, there is a need for a strong visual appeal. The Classic game is still pretty good, if you can make some adaptations to make it more modern.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Old 04-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #123
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrey View Post
It'd be rad if 6th Edition became the flashier and quicker introduction to the CW world for new players. If they're really into it and want more detail one could always introduce them to the "PRO Rules," aka CW2.5.
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what's finally put on market. I'll always be a classic CW fan, and will be playing until I have both feet in the grave, but I guess the stuff I grew up with won't always appeal to newer generations. Just the way life is.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:23 PM   #124
schoon

I must say that you really can't go wrong with Hot Wheels (which would be 1.5 scale with the new rules) for visceral visual appeal.

Set up on a table with some 3D elements - arena walls, jumps, etc. and watch them line up to play!
Old 05-10-2017, 07:47 AM   #125
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Just throwing it out there but with a version so drastically different from the "classic" original, wouldn't calling it "6th Edition" be a bit confusing?
Perhaps, but as SJG hasn't gotten close enough to release to share their chosen name/branding for the new game we needed a placeholder.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #126
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Just throwing it out there but with a version so drastically different from the "classic" original, wouldn't calling it "6th Edition" be a bit confusing?

Perhaps just calling it "Car Wars: 2117" might be catchier or maybe "Car Wars: 2110" as that rolls of the tongue better when said out loud. (plus 2110 has the bonus of 'hey that's less than 100 years from now!')

(brace for the comments saying "That is if they ever roll it out before 2110!". Be nice everyone)

Regardless, it sounds like it deserves its own separate branding in the Car Wars family, same as the card game, to make it clear it is not just an edition of what has come before.
It's why I asked about the card game. I was just curious as to what might be coming down the pipe. Whatever it is I still have my own classic edition that I can toy with on occasion.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #127
schoon

Any name that references a year will become dated over time, so I can't really see them doing that.

Simply "Car Wars" makes the most sense - the edition number is for us grognards. ;)
Old 06-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #128
schoon

As much as I understand the risks of tipping the Vessel of Knowledge, it's been two months or so since we've seen an update from SJG.

Can anyone fill us in - even if it's simply "no news at this time"?
Old 06-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #129
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I saw something being worked on today, right behind my desk. But I don't know if it's really my place to say what it was, so I'm going to be frustratingly vague.

Car Wars hasn't been at the top of the priority stack lately, and we've been VERY busy, but that doesn't mean it's completely stalled.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 06-28-2017, 03:11 AM   #130
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post
As much as I understand the risks of tipping the Vessel of Knowledge...
Boot to the Head?
Closed Thread