Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 07-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #11
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Car Wars Projects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
I've got more pictures, but here's the arena loosely assembled. I've been taking notes as I go along and will probably assemble this into a coherent how it was built when I'm done.

That is a Hot Wheels car sitting on the upper deck for scale.

I've got some cleanup to do still - there's some gaps, and I forgot to account for the thickness of the plastic when I made the pieces that fit in the gates (which will require some trimming).

And then painting. Gray for anywhere the cars can drive (floor, top deck, top of ramps), black for the outer walls, red for the thin walls and the sides of the ramps, and blue for the side of the upper deck and the corner bunkers. With a nice red K, E, A, or R on the top of the corner bunkers.

I'm probably going to try using some wooden dowels and long, large nails to hold the arena together. Possibly aided by a large piece of elastic all the way around. And if that doesn't work, the black duct tape should work for now. :)
That looks really good!

My project right now is paused...re-cutting Tilkendröm so that the individual blocks are square this time [misaligned fence...whoops], re-cutting the catch fence to make the box joints a little less sloppy, and then getting a coat of paint on it. The upside is the next convention is 3 months out, so I've got plenty of time.

It's a matter of too many things on the priority list, and not enough time to do them all. I'll get there, even if I have to use what I have for the upcoming con and do the new build next year.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #12
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
you're driving all the way to Portland from Minneapolis-St. Paul for a game? >:)
Portland Car Arena (AADA Road Atlas Vol. 1, p. 27). :P
Old 07-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #13
ammulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Heh, Warrior Stadium. Looks like it'll turn out OK. :)
Yeah, that's one of my all-time favorite arenas. I had one built out of foam core in about 1992. :)

Not too long after that (in the grand scheme of things), we had to mark it out in masking tape:

http://princetongames.org/carwars/season2-event5.html

I seem to recall a multi-vehicle melee on the central platform, but that's contradicted by the photographic evidence, so I must be mixing up events. :)
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #14
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Portland Car Arena (AADA Road Atlas Vol. 1, p. 27). :P
... so are you still driving there? ;-)

In all seriousness, to add onto my previous post, I thought it would be kind of cool to create a "wandering monster" chart and other encounter tables and some basic guidelines for an actual CW RPG affair. Characters only being 3HPs "strong" RPing in CW is kind of a dicey affair if you don't have gold cross, but even here some basic rules on how a Ref or Game Master might administer a CW campaign, I thought, might be kind of cool and interesting for players. Maybe create a "time period" chart or graph of what weapons become available in what year and so forth, and maybe offer some alternatives to Uncle Al's and what not in terms of picking up weapons and other gear. But again, someone else spilled the beans on this forum, so ...

At this point a Car Wars project might actually be welcome, so maybe I'll start one, and maybe that'll give me some impetus to finish some others. We'll see.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:44 PM   #15
43Supporter

Found this in my files:

"BUFFALO MUNICIPAL COLISEUM -- gun towers known to randomly fire on vehicles -- event where each driver's team also has control of one tower?"

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:06 PM   #16
schoon

Nice work on that arena - looking forward to more news!
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #17
Magesmiley

A small update on the arena build. I've been working on getting it painted.

Outer walls need another coat of black and I've still got two more large sheets for the base that still need to be painted gray. And the blue and red still need to be done. More photos as I get them done.

And those funny mushroom looking bits - those are going to be the entry gates. (The square side will sit between the walls, butting up to the arena floor, with the rounded part sitting outside the walls and allowing a car to be placed on it at any angle.

Biggest disaster thus far was one of our cats walking across both freshly painted gray base boards, hopping onto the black walls and then scampering into the other room as I'm frantically trying to grab him.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!

Last edited by Magesmiley; 07-28-2017 at 12:40 PM. Reason: updating url
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #18
Blue Ghost

I don't see anything. I get a bunch of popups and something that says I need to update my account to allow third party hosting.

But no painted arena.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:12 AM   #19
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
I don't see anything. I get a bunch of popups and something that says I need to update my account to allow third party hosting.

But no painted arena.
Ugh. I'll put the images on my personal website when I get home and update the links.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:00 PM   #20
Magesmiley

Updated the urls in my links to point to my own site. No more Photobucket for me.

Painting is still continuing. I'm going to be putting the trophy together for Dragonflight this weekend I think. (an excuse to play with my Laser Engraver!)

Which reminds me... I had the folks at the Geeks of Cascadia podcast post up some pictures of the potential toppers for the Dragonflight trophy to solicit feedback. I got a few responses, but not a lot. So maybe a few folks here have an opinion.

These are 1:32 scale Jada Battle Machines

Red Mustang
Black Camaro
Blue Camaro
Silver Silverado
Red Silverado

One of these will be going on the Dragonflight trophy. If you've got an opinion, speak up.