Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-07-2019, 01:27 PM   #61
hcobb

Default Re: TFT Helper - beta test of app

My suggestion is to lift the effect at the end of the turn the player's next action occurs in. This way we don't reopen when exactly a dodge happens, etc.

Other edge cases would be things like agile archer recovering his second shot for that turn after taking the penalty on his first shot and so on.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #62
andreww

Can anyone link to SJ's comments in the other thread?

I was taking "next action" to mean "next die roll", but I suppose if the character's next action did not require a die roll the penalty would go away without having any effect.
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:32 AM   #63
RobW

Try this thread maybe
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=158586
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #64
andreww

I have been working feverishly on the third beta version, but it won't be released this morning as I hoped because I *really* value your time. Your comments have been *extremely* helpful. If I release a version with known, visible issues you'll spend your time on those, which I know about. I need you to find the stuff I can't find, so I don't want to waste your precious testing time poking at stuff I already see. Wearing out your beta testers is bad!

The combat sequencing is re-written and largely tested. It's actually more fun this way, though I want to refine some of the messaging (eg the log should show that you renewed spells, etc). I have definitely learned that a wizard going up against a fighter better not blow their first couple of spell rolls. It's hard to test whether Dazzle correctly affects a summoned wolf while you're getting hammered with a morning star.

I am still having a little trouble with formatting on tablets. I'll be working on that today and tomorrow, and hopefully get the next beta approved by Apple on Monday (Android testers will see it immediately).

The good news is there will be some new goodies. I don't want to let the cats out of the bag at this point, but there should be a couple new things to see.

Meanwhile, let me know how you're doing in the adventure. Don't post spoilers! During the adventure the upper right corner shows a number in a blue box. That is the location number. You can report how far you got, and especially if you got out. But if you spot an issue with a particular trap or opponent message me directly. Otherwise when we release people will be perusing this thread for cheats!

Anyway, thanks for your efforts and your patience, wish me luck and look for a new version Monday.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #65
PBarone714

When I try to download the TFT Helper app foe iOS, I get an icon on my phone, but it doesn’t display download.
PBarone714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #66
andreww

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBarone714 View Post
When I try to download the TFT Helper app foe iOS, I get an icon on my phone, but it doesn’t display download.
The existing beta version should still download and run. It's probably more useful to wait for the new one, but this shouldn't be happening which means the new one might have the same issue. Do you have Test Flight installed? You might try deleting the app and installing it again.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:03 AM   #67
Fuhrmanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
ITL 118: "A figure that takes 5 or more hits in one turn has its DX adjusted -2 for its next action (spell, attack, etc.)."

So that can be either this turn (for a low-DX figure), or next turn (for a high-DX figure). Or years from now if you slip a Freeze item on the victim.
Interesting -- is this the latest ITL, or before SJG rewrote it (I don't have the newest version).

Because original Melee (c.f. Reactions to injury) said "A figure which takes 5 or more hits in one turn has its DX adjusted -2 for the NEXT turn (only)," we always played it that a low-DX figure often got -2 DX after the higher DX attack caused 5 or more hits, as well as -2 for the next turn. It wouldn't make sense to say the penalty didn't apply THIS turn (i.e., the turn where the figure was attacked before his action came), since an injury had an affect immediately.

Anyway, it's how I coded the unit test in my melee simulator.

If this is a new rule, then it surely makes combat less deadly.

Rules (like software) need concrete scenarios (use-cases) to add clarification. The tests in software portray expected behavior concretely (and expose ambiguities in the requirements or the implementation of the requirements). A test can be "wrong" because the requirements weren't clear, or because the test was coded wrong.

I'd almost argue that rules need to be demonstrated by a set of scenarios to illustrate their scope, kind of like the examples of Flavius and Wulf (which are very incomplete examples). Several things prevent that from happening:
  1. it costs too much to write all the scenarios,
  2. fixing the inconsistencies that crop up (debugging) would prevent games from ever being published (much like most video games today have tons of bugs in their first release), and
  3. there's probably a market value to ambiguity in rules -- there's buzz created in forums on the internet like this thread -- although SJ would probably never confirm or deny that ;-)

Bon courage to Andrew!
Fuhrmanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:24 AM   #68
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhrmanator View Post
[*]there's probably a market value to ambiguity in rules -- there's buzz created in forums on the internet like this thread -- although SJ would probably never confirm or deny that ;-)
Well, the SJ moderators actively discourage this particular kind of buzz.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #69
GlennDoren

I registered for the iOS beta a couple weeks ago, but never received an invite. Is that just a decision to keep the testing group size small, or an oversight on your end? Let me know--I'm eager to test it out :)
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:02 PM   #70
andreww

I haven't uploaded the latest iOS applications because I want folks to wait for the new version. You'll get an invite and have access Monday, if everything goes well. I didn't want to waste your testing time when I had plenty to work on. Your testing time will be much better spent on the new version. Thanks for your patience!