Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #151
JustAnotherJarhead

Default Re: TFT Helper - beta test of app

Andrew,

Thank you!

that helps a ton.

My comment about Club was in reference to using one, the App says Ax/Mace required when you select club as a ready weapon.

I have one request, offer a 34-36 pt character build option, so new players can experience what it's like to build something a little more advanced.

What would it take to change 32 to say 35pt as an option?
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:53 PM   #152
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I was hoping there would be an equivalent "Android standard share button" to send to devices.

The Export button is not OS-specific. It's on the bottom of the Character Sheet when you "Edit" the Character. Do you not have that, either?
Yes, but it doesn't seem to work with Epson iPrint or the default printer drivers on my Samsung phone. The file renders as blank (technically, it just shows text headers).
Old 08-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #153
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Yes, but it doesn't seem to work with Epson iPrint or the default printer drivers on my Samsung phone. The file renders as blank (technically, it just shows text headers).
don't forget it does not print the graphic display; the export just spits out a string of stats that is supposed to be shared. What I can't find is how that exported string is supposed to be imported. The "Import Character" that you see when you Create Character doesn't seem to do anything.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:37 PM   #154
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
don't forget it does not print the graphic display; the export just spits out a string of stats that is supposed to be shared. What I can't find is how that exported string is supposed to be imported. The "Import Character" that you see when you Create Character doesn't seem to do anything.
Well, maybe it's just me, but I would expect the ability to export and/or print a fully formatted "graphic display" version of a completed character sheet to be a pretty critical feature for an app like this. I hope this capability is added soon.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #155
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Well, maybe it's just me, but I would expect the ability to export and/or print a fully formatted "graphic display" version of a completed character sheet to be a pretty critical feature for an app like this. I hope this capability is added soon.
I totally agree (and why I mentioned the same thing somewhere earlier in the thread). I'd love to see a print character, print a list of selected characters (eg, print these 4 character sheets on a single piece of paper), etc. Heck, even being able to print a blank character sheet would be helpful. Printing directly from the device might not be critical, but getting it off so it can be used is.

Exporting them for later import is also important from a backup perspective, too.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #156
Skarg

Don't most phones have a screenshot feature?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #157
ULFGARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreww View Post
Ulfguard - what screen size doesn't show all spells? I thought that was fixed, but I'll revisit it.
It's not a screen size issue, but rather a font size issue. I have a Samsung Note9. It has 8 different system default font sizes. It will work on the 1st and 2nd, but anything bigger presents a problem. This might be one of those "if you encounter this problem, try this" issues. iOS has the advantage of running on a very limited number of devices. Android is a lot less domesticated.

Once I got the font size issue sorted out, I played around with it, and it works just fine, at least in my limited testing. It's a great help for me, since I've wanted an easy way to select spells, me being a bit of a neophyte.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #158
andreww

Axe/Mace & Club - Wow, that snuck right past. Will be fixed in 1.1.

Printing a nice character sheet would be great. Not easy, not part of the original spec, but great. I will revisit.

Meanwhile, I have exactly two reports of the app loading but not responding to any touches at all, so you're stuck at the main menu. Two is a small number with nearly six hundred installs as of this morning, but it still has my attention. If anyone sees this let me know exactly what device and OS version you have. I strongly suspect it is older Android systems that are going to fail in this way, but with two datapoints and neither fully described it's hard to say.

Thanks again!
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #159
XRaysVision

Would it be possible to add iCloud export/import so that we can share stats between iPhone and iPad as well as backing up characters?

So far, this app is fantastic. As far as printing the character sheet, I can screen capture and send to my WiFi printer, so not really concerned with that so much. That would be icing on the cake.

However, being able to import the stat line from a file would be awesome so that we could share characters. I would suggest export to a CSV (comma separated variable) file. That would allow for cloud storage, email, texting, etc.

Anyway, good work! Keep it up.
XRaysVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #160
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Don't most phones have a screenshot feature?
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreww View Post
Printing a nice character sheet would be great. Not easy, not part of the original spec, but great. I will revisit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRaysVision View Post
As far as printing the character sheet, I can screen capture and send to my WiFi printer, so not really concerned with that so much.
Sure, for the most part you can screenshot and print, but there's stuff you miss (notes, etc), and cruft you don't need (info along the bottom that is app-related). It would be a lot better to get a clean output that looks more like the blank pads from the Legacy Edition box (with things like the little hexes for marking stats along the bottom).