Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
Stoob

Default Online 4e Character Archive

Is the an online archive that exists where GURPS 4e folks can upload PDFs of their created characters (heros, NPCs, whatever) to an online repository where other can browse and download the PDFs of the characters? The characters could be sorted by genre, TL, profession, etc...

UPDATE: The beta version of the site has launched. Come browse and upload. No account necessary.
http://gurpscharacter.com/
Note: Site now also includes "Beasts" to challenge the PCs!

Browsers could rate the characters with 1-5 stars, based on various criteria.

This could be useful, say for GMs, who need a "medieval bartender" or "1920s detective" or "starcruiser officer", etc. or just people who are bored and curious, or what to show off their character designs.

Is this something that would be cool?

Is this something that would be legally OK with SJG? Its just PDFs of character sheets.

Last edited by Stoob; 03-15-2010 at 01:53 AM. Reason: beasts added
Stoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
panton41

Default Re: Online 4e Character Archive

If it's something that OK I'd say set up a Wiki and go for it (since I think a Wiki system would work best for that). I have quite a few I'd submit, though I'd probably prefer people upload a pain text version in the "standard" GURPS format for characters and a GCA or GCS file, if applicable. (I know GCA has an export to that style of text block, I dunno about GCS.)

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
Stoob

Thanks. I can figure out the format and software later. Just trying gauge interest and legality at this point.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

If you check the GCA forum, one of our contributors has actually set up a GCA File Repository, in which you can set upload GCA character files, data files, and PDF examples of either. Honestly, I really like the idea of the Repository, but we really haven't been using it as much as we might have.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
PK

Legality shouldn't be an issue. As long as the site has the appropriate disclaimers (see http://www.sjgames.com/general/online_policy.html), it wouldn't be in violation of the online policy -- there's never a problem with posting your own original character to the web!

As for interest, I'd imagine there'd be some, but you'll never know for sure without creating it and seeing. The hard part, I'd imagine, will be quality control -- making sure people upload their characters right and include the right amount of information (whatever that is).

Personally, I have to say that I have no use for it unless every character includes a text blurb -- just one or maybe two sentences -- that says who they are. Something like "Joan Satchell (TL7 serial killer disguised as a housewife)", where I can get a short taste without having to click on the character to see the whole sheet.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Sauronth

I really like the idea of a 4e character archive and would both contribute and consume regularly.

Certainly to be useful the archive would need a number of suitable tags in order to avoid having to sort through dozens of Space Opera characters when I'm looking for a Fantasy Priest...

Having the character in GCS format would be a huge plus. Not a big fan of GCA, but I imagine some people are...
Sauronth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
Stoob

Thanks for the responses all. What I've learned so far is:

1) there is some interest in general in the concept
2) usefulness/popularity of the Character Archive (or whatever it is called) will likely depend on several factors:
  • amount of characters
  • appropriate 'tagging' and descriptions so what you want is easy to find, and the site isn't just a jumbled mess
  • quality/usefulness of the characters themselves
  • availability of a variety of formats
3) with the appropriate disclaimers, the site is perfectly legal

I make sites for a living, so the technicalities worry me less than appropriate editorial efforts to make the site a living, useful thing rather than just a character graveyard that gets 10 hits a day.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #8
Stoob

Hi there folks.... Since the most important thing seems to be that we have a good way to categorize and sort characters, this is draft of the traits each uploaded character should be given. The first 2 are required, the rest are not (for uploading) but will be added or edited later by me.

Thought: I'd rather allow anonymous people to upload characters without an account (I can count on anti-spam techniques to stop most nonsense) as this will encourage greater participation.

Please review the following questions (for each uploaded character) and let me know if I have missed anything super important. Please note that I can't include every possible genre or scenario.... a general category that helps the reader discern what is going on is all I'm hoping for. Ultimately, characters would be search-able by any of the following traits.

Text Version: .txt, .pdf (required)
Character Sheet: .pdf (optional)
GCA4 File: .gca4 (optional)

Genres: (pick one or many) (required)
Fantasy
Space
Ancient
Swashbuckling
Modern
Supers
Cyberpunk
Horror
WWII
Dungeon Fantasy
Traveller
Transhuman Space
Other

(this stuff below is not required to upload a character, but can be added later by an editor if it is left blank)

Most Appropriate for the following TL: (pick one)
0 - 12+

Can this character be converted to another TL, with a few minor changes?
yes/no

Character Role: (pick one)
Hero
Villain
Supporting (henchmen, sidekicks, Ensign Expendable, etc etc)
Everyman (merchants, tailors, hobos, accountants, park rangers, etc)

What is this character good at: (pick many)
Combat
Science
Leadership
Magic/Psi
Being Eeeevil
Making/Fixing Things
Nature/Animals
Spying
Martial Arts
Driving/Riding

Nature of the Character: (pick one)
Human
Alien
Fantasy Race
Machine/Robot
Super-being
Monster
Animal
Something Weird

Description: (40 words or less)

Tags: (words separated by comma, optional input to describe the character, will be searchable)
Old 02-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #9
TheThingFromOuterSpace

As I've done quite a lot of characters (one of my passions), mainly for fantasy/DF, I could contribute some.
I just have to think some backstories...

Mostly heroes, villains, but also a lot of supporting cast (I once converted the carreers of WH Fantasy into GURPS).
Mostly TL3 and TL4.

How could I contribute?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
Stoob

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to make this website over the course of this week. When I launch the test version next week, I'll post the link. I invite you to upload your characters then.