Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-05-2022, 08:17 AM   #901
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Spoiler:  

After finding little of interest in his searches, Peter talks to Marcus and tells the story and he thinks he's convincing.

He agrees to hang out with Marcus and they meet in their usual spot in the copse of trees between the cul de sac and the school fence. Really too small to call a forest after being cut up by developments.

He gives his friend a long hug when they are reunited.

Peter steps on a thorny branch with a crunch and looks down and stomps on it again. 'God, I missed proper boots' he thinks.

He hangs out with Marcus for several hours. At first, he thinks he won't be able to keep his secret and will tell Marcus his whole story, and if he's half-honest with himself, he'd realize it was his subconscious plan to do so once they were together like this.

But while they are spending time together, Peter feels like something is off. It's not long before he knows, it's not that Marcus has changed, it's that he has. Marcus just seems to be just the same as he ever was, but Peter... Peter is different now.

For better or for worse, Peter had to grow up fast in a lot of ways and he comes to the realization that it wouldn't be fair to ask Marcus to share his burden.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:01 AM   #902
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I made Peter come from my hometown of Burlington MA, School starts the first or second week of September... So we have some evidence Peter is not from this Earth (as if we didn't already know).
A bastion of September school! my hometown starts in late august. my current town starts in early august.

Quote:
After finding little of interest in his searches, Peter talks to Marcus and tells the story and he thinks he's convincing.
He manages to convince Marcus that he really doesn't remember, and that it really is quite traumatic.

Quote:
For better or for worse, Peter had to grow up fast in a lot of ways and he comes to the realization that it wouldn't be fair to ask Marcus to share his burden.
Growing up is hard. Peter does enjoy seeing his friend again, and is able to make it home.

That night, Peter dreams of a city of clockwork. Mechanical horses pull long wide carriages though busy streets. Robotic workers unload a train full of sacks of grain, occasionally returning to a heavy gear that plugs into their back and winds them up. Sooty-faced workers shovel coal into furnaces. A massive bmetal statue of a figure holding a mighty hammer dominates the a square, and is replicated in minature many places. In some places, polished copper shines through, though other places are painted a vibrant blue. A few bow to it, but most ignore it. The sky is filled with enormous and distant cogs.

Peter dreams of men on metal horses, armed with guns with solid barrels, riding through a portal... and dozens of captives with them, chained in a line. Most are men, but there are a couple of families. They are mostly wearing their night wear. Several have big red marks or bruises forming on their faces.

The portal is large and has a faint blue sheen to it. Peter thinks he can see a playground on the other side. A figure in copper and blue robes begins to chant and wave their arms. After about 10 seconds, the blue sheen brightens, and the portal vanishes.

Peter wakes up naked next to Goliath in an field of weeds. Its warm, like a summer evening, or perhaps he's just in a warmer climate. he sees a burned out wood-frame house nearby. The sky is filled with gears and cogs, but there's plenty of light coming from somewhere. The entire world seems to radiate a low level of magic, but far away and ethereal, untouchable somehow.

Peter gets 1 point from his adventures back home. He was there 4 days. This would be november 20th back home.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:12 AM   #903
the_matrix_walker

Peter hugs Goliath and sobs. Tears run down his face and he sniffles as he tries to hold them back. He stays there for some time, taking comfort in his companion.

When he starts to run out of tears he becomes angry. "it's not fair... IT'S NOT FAIR!" He yells.

He looks up in the sky and at the floating clockwork. Gestures at the sky like he's pointing this out to an unseen audience. "It doesn't even make sense."

When he clams down, he checks the house and area for something to use as clothing and other resources. He looks to see if there is a road, or any other structures visible.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 01-06-2022 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:55 AM   #904
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The sky slowly turns, unresponsive.

The house is in fairly bad shape, having burned to the ground. Peter find the following items of interest:

• 2 pants, 1 shirt, 1 dress that smell of smoke and have damage from the elements but are only lightly burned.
  • three right-footed shoes that don't match
  • The half burned remnants of 12 items of clothing
  • 3 cups still in working order, but charred.
  • An unburned well in working order, including the bucket and rope
  • A burned barn, with the assorted heads of various farm tools.
  • An absence of even burned food.
  • At least a half dozen knives with charred handles.
  • numerous small figurines of a stylized goddess holding a staff with a forked head, adorned in deep yellow, green, and brown.

There is a road... Peter thinks he can see other houses in the distance, though most aren't in the direction of the road... paths seem to go towards them though. He can't tell which are burned or not. He thinks he sees a few horses with riders a mile down on the road or so.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 01-07-2022, 08:14 AM   #905
the_matrix_walker

Peter will dress himself in the best options available and will wear two right shoes if he can make it fit well enough to be worth it. He'll check to see if all of the little houses off of the road are burned and then stealthily check out the riders.
Old 01-08-2022, 06:14 AM   #906
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Most the houses aren't even in the direction of the road... at least one is burned, and at least one isn't burned.

Two right shoes will do... not comfortable, but better than barefoot.

He doesn't think he was particularly stealthy, but the riders don't seem to notice. They look much like the ones from his dream as they ride down the road towards him. There are three of them, all on mechanical horses, holding those strange guns. The sound the beasts make is strange, and Goliath doesn't like it. The riders will pass by the house in a few minutes.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:43 AM   #907
the_matrix_walker

Peter retreats from the road to check out the other houses and puts some distance between him and the strangely armed men on mechanical horses. He wants to figure out a bit about this place before making contact. Do the other houses off of the road seem occupied?
Old 01-10-2022, 05:47 AM   #908
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Peter retreats from the road to check out the other houses and puts some distance between him and the strangely armed men on mechanical horses. He wants to figure out a bit about this place before making contact. Do the other houses off of the road seem occupied?
The houses that aren't burned seem to have occupants, yes. At least some of them. He thinks one of them (in the direction of a particularly fast gear in the sky) might not.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:45 AM   #909
the_matrix_walker

Peter stares in wonder for a few moments at the sky cogs again... (Is it spinning quickly, or crossing the sky quickly?)

He will then investigate the house that appears intact but vacant and see if he can find better clothing and shoes, and perhaps a few tools that may be useful if he needs to survive in the wilderness. If he senses any activity in the house, he will flee!
Old 01-11-2022, 09:19 AM   #910
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Peter stares in wonder for a few moments at the sky cogs again... (Is it spinning quickly, or crossing the sky quickly?)

He will then investigate the house that appears intact but vacant and see if he can find better clothing and shoes, and perhaps a few tools that may be useful if he needs to survive in the wilderness. If he senses any activity in the house, he will flee!
Its spinning quickly.

Is peter grabbing any tools (like a knife) from the burnt out house?

The house is not locked, and while vacant, its incredibly bare. All of the cookware, clothing, tools, food, and bedding have been moved. Left is the bare furniture, and a simple wood-burning stove. The place is impeccably clean. The nearby shed is similar: clean and empty of everything.

Tags
lost in dreams