Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-09-2019, 01:04 PM   #11
Phantasm

Default Re: Physics. (Very LAST thread). I promise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
What do you mean by “sub space” counterpart to hyperspace

And what would you call changing course in hyperspace?
I think what he means is Star Trek style warp drive physics rather than Star Wars hyperspace/Einstein-Rosen Bridge wormhole physics. Two different critters.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #12
Agemegos

Quote:
I’m trying to end my obsession with a future science idea. I’ve posted similar questions that I’ve asked you all over the internet and I’ve had no luck in finding anything.

What I’m really looking for is what a physicist can be studying in Star Wars. Star Wars has already moved FTL, Legends had teleportation, they probably know why how the universe formed (the Force), when it will end and why their is more matter than antimatter. They also know everything about dark matter and dark energy since Starkiller Base is powered by it

What do you think is left for a physicist to study for.
Turbulence.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018...em-in-physics/

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:27 PM   #13
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Turbulence.
I'd call that an example of the kind of physical processes I was thinking of.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:08 AM   #14
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'd call that an example of the kind of physical processes I was thinking of.
Good. I thought a specific example might help.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:30 AM   #15
Phantasm

Turbulence fits my arguments of "not knowing everything" as well. We know it exists, we can measure it, we can enjoy its effects recreationally (waterslides!), and we can kinda figure out how to counteract it, but we don't really know what it is and why it happens.

And I seem to recall in one of the books a mention of hyperspace turbulence. Just gathering raw data to figure out what causes and the physics behind that could take most of a Hutt's thousand year lifespan.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #16
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Turbulence fits my arguments of "not knowing everything" as well. We know it exists, we can measure it, we can enjoy its effects recreationally (waterslides!), and we can kinda figure out how to counteract it, but we don't really know what it is and why it happens.
It comes up a lot in sail mechanics, and it makes the performance of sailboats a long way from being neatly mathematically predictable, beyond some fairly basic points such as the Froude number.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:09 PM   #17
Agemegos

Quote:
What I’m really looking for is what a physicist can be studying in Star Wars.
Time travel. Invisibility. Interplanetary teleportation. Immortality. Digital mind recording and overwriting for brain state backups and mind transference. Frictionless surfaces. Metamalganism. Superconduction of phonons (ergo, of heat). Transmutation of elements. The Langston field (black globe generator). Rishons. Stasis fields. Indestructible spaceship hulls. Regressing organisms to their evolutionary ancestors. Progressing organisms to their evolutionary descendants. Reversing aging. Implanting Force ghosts as minds in suitable bodies to resurrect dead Jedi. Startrekkish replicator technology. Startrekkish transporter technology. Helmgarth wake dynamics. Making sugar stick to baked goods. The endochronic properties of resublimated thiotimoline. Getting the blue tinge out of milk. Cinematic nanotechnology. Mobile telephones. A quicker way to model protein folding. Quantum cryptography. Synglossatic fibres for stunner-proof fashionware. Self-defrimming materials for turboencabulators that don't need such frequent maintenance. Exploiting the Velma effect to protect planets from magnetic field reversal. Parallel universes. Solid holograms like in Star Trek. Getting robots to replicate basic physics experiments so there won't be Force effects contaminating the results. Traversible wormholes. Non-orientable traversible wormholes. Pocket universes. White holes. Duodeciplatinate. Q-type helices. Memswear varicloth. Muonic matter. Stimulated emission from Bose-Einstein condensates in excited states. Monomolecular Penning traps for chelated-antimatter energy storage. Finding more special-case solutions to the restricted three-body problem. Creating the Borg. Turning into a being of pure energy.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #18
Maximum7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Time travel. Invisibility. Interplanetary teleportation. Immortality. Digital mind recording and overwriting for brain state backups and mind transference. Frictionless surfaces. Metamalganism. Superconduction of phonons (ergo, of heat). Transmutation of elements. The Langston field (black globe generator). Rishons. Stasis fields. Indestructible spaceship hulls. Regressing organisms to their evolutionary ancestors. Progressing organisms to their evolutionary descendants. Reversing aging. Implanting Force ghosts as minds in suitable bodies to resurrect dead Jedi. Startrekkish replicator technology. Startrekkish transporter technology. Helmgarth wake dynamics. Making sugar stick to baked goods. The endochronic properties of resublimated thiotimoline. Getting the blue tinge out of milk. Cinematic nanotechnology. Mobile telephones. A quicker way to model protein folding. Quantum cryptography. Synglossatic fibres for stunner-proof fashionware. Self-defrimming materials for turboencabulators that don't need such frequent maintenance. Exploiting the Velma effect to protect planets from magnetic field reversal. Parallel universes. Solid holograms like in Star Trek. Getting robots to replicate basic physics experiments so there won't be Force effects contaminating the results. Traversible wormholes. Non-orientable traversible wormholes. Pocket universes. White holes. Duodeciplatinate. Q-type helices. Memswear varicloth. Muonic matter. Stimulated emission from Bose-Einstein condensates in excited states. Monomolecular Penning traps for chelated-antimatter energy storage. Finding more special-case solutions to the restricted three-body problem. Creating the Borg. Turning into a being of pure energy.
WOW. This is fantastically colossal. Thank you so much Agemegos!!!
Maximum7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:38 PM   #19
Agemegos

There are about 2,500 suggestions on http://www.technovelgy.com/.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:52 PM   #20
David Johnston2

Quote:
What do you mean by “sub space” counterpart to hyperspace
I mean the opposite of hyperspace, a time-space continuum which slows you down instead of speeding you up.

Quote:
And what would you call changing course in hyperspace?
In Star Wars you have no ability to change course once you jump. You are committed to your destination. You can't turn.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
physics, sci fi, science, science!, star wars