Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-18-2019, 01:03 PM   #11
Plane

Default Re: "Handless Arm" parrying

No Manipulators is -50
One Arm + One Hand is -35 (essentially NFM + missing arm 1)
No Fine Manipulators is -30
One Arm is -20
One Hand is -15

NFM basically seems like "no hands" and is worth twice the amount of 1H

I don't know if "no arms" should be worth twice 1A (-40), but it should at least be worth slightly more than 1A+1H for -36.

" It's worse than taking One Arm twice for what should be obvious reasons: the total loss of an important capacity." seems to indicate it might even be valued somewhere from -41 to -49.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:23 PM   #12
Anthony

I'd be fine with -40. There's not a lot of room for disad values between 'no manipulators' and 'no fine manipulators'.

Alternately, we can make the points work out cleanly for most existing templates by saying 'no arms' is -40, and that 'horizontal' is incompatible with no fine manipulators (which seems fair, it's not terribly limiting that you can't do anything with your hands when you don't have hands to start with). This means existing quadrupeds replace 'no fine manipulators + horizontal' with 'no arms' for the same -40 cost.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:36 PM   #13
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
we can make the points work out cleanly for most existing templates by saying 'no arms' is -40, and that 'horizontal' is incompatible with no fine manipulators (which seems fair, it's not terribly limiting that you can't do anything with your hands when you don't have hands to start with).
If No Fine Manipulators doesn't prevent you from punching/parrying, then being unable to do those things because you have to put your arms down to move at full speed is a limitation. But it perhaps should be mitigated to be worth fewer points (maybe a quirk?) since as you say, you're losing less.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:42 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
If No Fine Manipulators doesn't prevent you from punching/parrying, then being unable to do those things because you have to put your arms down to move at full speed is a limitation.
Horizontal does not seem to prevent you from punching. However, my point is that we can make the math work by assuming quadrupeds aren't "no fine manipulators plus horizontal", they're "no arms".