Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #21
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Curse: Weapon Becomes Evil (Cthulhu)

What about Annihilation? can Anihilation destroy the curse or the item so cursed?

What about an item that gives a greater bonus to some sex/race/profession but you aren't i that sex/race/profession when it hits you? Is the penalty "frozen" at the time the item becomes cursed?
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #22
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by morleydotes View Post
Looking at the card, it's the ITEM that gives you the highest bonus, so yes.

Now, wait 30 minutes and I'll be told I'm wrong...

Pat
The only way I can fault you is that your answer wasn't the most clear in response to the question asked. . . ;-)

Yes, it can be played on any Item: Armor, Headgear, Footgear, needs Hands, or none of the above. The term "weapon" has no real definition provided by the game of Munchkin, or any of its. . . sons? Brethren? Cousins?* At any rate, since we don't define it, at least not officially, it requires every card that uses the term to define it. Since this particular curse doesn't use "weapon" in anything other than the title, but does use "Item" (a term that is very much so defined in the rules), we just have to ignore the word "weapon" in the title.

* I would think that maybe Munchkin Quest is a cousin, and that does have a Weapon tag for Items that are such. So, let's ignore the term "cousins," then. . .
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 04-27-2012 at 09:00 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #23
morleydotes
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
What about Annihilation? can Anihilation destroy the curse or the item so cursed?

What about an item that gives a greater bonus to some sex/race/profession but you aren't i that sex/race/profession when it hits you? Is the penalty "frozen" at the time the item becomes cursed?
Yes, It can be used to destroy the curse, as it is played. But otherwise, I would rule no, as it cannot be removed. As for the Item...It is covered, no.

My understanding of the rules, Items not being used, but only being carried, do not give you a bonus, thus would not be a target of the curse.

Pat
morleydotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #24
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by morleydotes View Post
Yes, It can be used to destroy the curse, as it is played. But otherwise, I would rule no, as it cannot be removed. As for the Item...It is covered, no.

My understanding of the rules, Items not being used, but only being carried, do not give you a bonus, thus would not be a target of the curse.

Pat
so Annihilation works as a wishing ring here, ok. I ask because IIRC annihilation targets cards, not items or curses or whatever, and so even if the item stops being an item, it continues being a card...

as for the others, I was not thinking about an item that you are carrying but not using, but about an item that is +1, +3 for cultists, that becomes evil while you're not a cultist, and you later become one...
My stuff on e23
Old 04-28-2012, 03:22 AM   #25
Clipper

Quote:
so Annihilation works as a wishing ring here, ok. I ask because IIRC annihilation targets cards, not items or curses or whatever, and so even if the item stops being an item, it continues being a card...

as for the others, I was not thinking about an item that you are carrying but not using, but about an item that is +1, +3 for cultists, that becomes evil while you're not a cultist, and you later become one...
Annihilation has two ways of playing it. The first method is that if it is played immediately after another card, it cancels it, whatever it is. The second method is that it is played on any card that is in play. It can only be played on curses via the first method as they are out of play as soon as they resolve, even if they have an ongoing effect.

However, if there is a card effect that says 'nothing will let you get rid of the card but X', then Annihilation wouldn't be playable on it (unless it meets he conditions of X). That's why you can't annihilate the evil weapon in this case.

And yes, the curse would attach to whichever Item gives you the highest bonus at the time the curse is played. It won't jump to another Item later on or choose an Item that could potentially be higher if something were to change. And in the case that you specified, I think the penalty would change if the Item which it is attached to changes its bonus somehow.

Last edited by Clipper; 04-28-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:38 AM   #26
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Annihilation has two ways of playing it. The first method is that if it is played immediately after another card, it cancels it, whatever it is. The second method is that it is played on any card that is in play. It can only be played on curses via the first method as they are out of play as soon as they resolve, even if they have an ongoing effect.

However, if there is a card effect that says 'nothing will let you get rid of the card but X', then Annihilation wouldn't be playable on it (unless it meets he conditions of X). That's why you can't annihilate the evil weapon in this case.

And yes, the curse would attach to whichever Item gives you the highest bonus at the time the curse is played. It won't jump to another Item later on or choose an Item that could potentially be higher if something were to change. And in the case that you specified, I think the penalty would change if the Item which it is attached to changes its bonus somehow.
So an evil revealing costume can be the source of limitless penalties? (specially if you end up fighting multiple times in the dungeon that changes the sex of the munchkins...)
My stuff on e23
Old 04-28-2012, 05:34 AM   #27
MunchkinMan

Quote:
So an evil revealing costume can be the source of limitless penalties? (specially if you end up fighting multiple times in the dungeon that changes the sex of the munchkins...)
No, it can not. Once the Item is Cursed, it only represents the penalty. It no longer has the abilities it once had.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:04 AM   #28
Clipper

Yeah, I misunderstood the wording on the card. The amount of the penalty won't change under any circumstances.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #29
MRSA_Major

Thanks for the help!
MRSA_Major is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cthulhu, weapon becomes evil