Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Ambidexterity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
I worked for some months with a fellow who had lost the use of his right arm in a shooting accident at the age of sixteen. At fifty-six his writing with his left hand was still very much what you'd expect of someone writing with his off hand.
My brother still writes like a 5 year old despite having both hands. Then again he actually decided to be left handed to be different. My right handed brother and I had a weird childhood tug of war with his handedness.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Yes ... this is a bug that was fixed in Martial Arts, on p50, because 5 points is totally overpriced for a technique for one weapon when actual Ambidexterity is the same price.

Off-Hand Weapon Training is now a perk that eliminates the penalty entirely for a single skill. Anyone dedicated enough to buy five of these is allowed to trade them in for Ambidexterity, making it a learnable advantage.
Wonderful! That really sounds just about right, if not spot on, as a they way to handle it. On the other hand... still no idea how to handle it in multi-limbed races/supers.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
On the other hand... still no idea how to handle it in multi-limbed races/supers.
Half your limbs are "off". Off-Hand Weapon Training ignores "off" penalties regardless of limb used.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #14
namada

Last edited by namada; 09-20-2014 at 11:44 PM.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Half your limbs are "off". Off-Hand Weapon Training ignores "off" penalties regardless of limb used.
That works for games, but I don't think it's realistic. Multiple limbs of hand level coordination takes an enormous amount of brain power. Even octopuses have a single preferred arm.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:35 AM   #16
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
If someone finds their right hand offensive and cuts it off, would you require them to buy full Ambidexterity to lose the -4 penalty to everything or would you do it some other way.
I would want the end state to be Ambidexterity on the character sheet, because it would be really strange for you to get so used to it that you'd need to work at it to change back if you ended up regenerating the lost hand.

Absent actual therapy, I think some analog of the rule for absorbing languages by immersion works well - some number of hours per day (probably lots, you use your hands a lot) counts as on the job study time toward buying Ambidexterity, or whatever other reasonable compensatory advantage the GM thinks you might reasonably acquire to offset a loss.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #17
munin

The fact is that the OHW technique is priced fairly compared to other techniques to buy off situational penalties. That it's not a good deal compared to Ambidexterity probably means that Ambidexterity isn't priced correctly since its basically a wildcard technique to buy off all off-hand penalties. 15 points might be a better choice.

At 5 points it is a too-obvious pick for anyone who wants to do any double-handing. There's no question whether to take it or not. At 15 points it's more of a character-defining trait, and more appropriate for its actual rarity in real life.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

It's only truly useful in niche occasions where you can't use your primary. I don't see 15 points of utility on par with Combat Reflexes or Empathy.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #19
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
It's only truly useful in niche occasions where you can't use your primary. I don't see 15 points of utility on par with Combat Reflexes or Empathy.
Yeah, assuming a combatant, switch to Rapid Strikes and/or Combinations. Ambidexterity is a dubious deal with TbaM as-is, it's gonna be near-useless at [15].
Old 09-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #20
Flyndaran
Untagged

In essence it turns your mediocre back up into a really good one. I would demand added primary function for 15 points.

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, ambidexterity, aotw, basic, off-hand weapon training, week