Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Fingal

Default Battle negociations and some stuff about levels

Hello !

I'm Fingal from France. With some friends we bought the game recently, and we are actually found of it.

But we were asking us a little question and I come here to have your opinion.

When you're are in a battle and want to get the help from some player it's said that you can bargain with cards, or with the ability to get some of the treasures.

But we got two questions :

Can we create kind of a contract ? I explain :
Once I saved a friend from a huge defeat and in exchange she had to help me in a battle as soon as I ask her, and for free. Is that okay ?

Can we bargain level ?
It's happened several times (almost of it around the lvl 9) that we exchanged help with level. When there were something like 2 level to win in the battle, we often say. "Okay, you help me and you get the levels I should have". But actually it makes some cards pretty useless so we wanted to know if it was okay ?

And a last question, kindof related :

Can we renounce to a level ?
It's like when we are at the level 9 and we absolutly don't want to loose (because to be dead and lose like 2 levels... well we don't like it) and so we say "You come help me, but I don't take the level so it's not such a big deal".

Thanks for your answers :)
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: Battle negociations and some stuff about levels

You cannot offer the levels you would get from combat in payment, nor can you refuse them. Those levels are not transferrable (or refusable).The closest you can come, if you have a Go Up A Level card in your hand, is to offer to play it on somebody else in return for their help.

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 08-22-2013 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Adding the quote was, for lack of a better term, superfluous.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Fingal

Thanks ! That was fast, and actually I'm glad of the answer (I found that the new way of playing of my friends break the balance of the game). It's saddly not write into the french rules of the undead edition, or at least not where we were looking.
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #4
Clipper

You also asked if you could make an offer to help them on their next combat. You are able to make such a deal if both parties are willing. However, keep in mind that circumstances might change (they might be going for the win, for example), and no such contract is binding. Having said that, you should probably make all attempts to honour the contract if you can, if only to be nice.

But yeah, you can't trade nor forfeit levels as there is no mechanism mentioned in the rules to do so. Giving a helper Treasure cards from the combat, giving any player Items you have in play, or playing GUALs on another player are mentioned in the rules as acceptable things you can do, so you can use them as part of deals for help.

Tags
bargain, deads are cool, french fries, level 9, question