Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 08-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: GURPS GCA4 Errata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_Loveshade View Post
I see that option in the shield icon, but not in p. 2 Spells, Equipment. It would be nice if that function was included when starting from p. 2. Otherwise you can do everything you need to do there except that. You then have to know to use the shield icon to finish (maybe you can do it all through p. 2 and I missed it).
It's important to distinguish between armor purchased and armor worn. There are plenty of reasons that you won't always wear all the armor you own. Think about a knight that has different armor for the lists (including barding), for cavalry combat (ditto), for dismounted combat, and for everyday self-defense.
Quote:
That does bring up another question: how do I tell the program what possessions a character is actually carrying? For example, it assumes a mage is carrying around everything she owns at one time.
That's what the Loadout manager is for.
Quote:
I'm glad I didn't type in the weight of her house....
The 80% rule exists so that you don't have to track this stuff.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It's important to distinguish between armor purchased and armor worn. There are plenty of reasons that you won't always wear all the armor you own. Think about a knight that has different armor for the lists (including barding), for cavalry combat (ditto), for dismounted combat, and for everyday self-defense.
I understand that. My point is that if you can do everything else with creating armour using p. 2 Spells, Equipment, you should be able to indicate which armor your character is wearing there too. If there is a function on p. 2 that does this I missed it, and would be happy if someone pointed out where it is.

I'm one of those people who uses text as much as possible rather than icons. For years when I used Windows I kept going back to DOS--my brain is text-oriented. Blame my NLD--that sounds like a good excuse.

Quote:
That's what the Loadout manager is for.
Thanks; that's one of the functions I haven't used yet. There are icons up there, aren't there? (Again, blame my NLD).

Quote:
( The 80% rule exists so that you don't have to track this stuff.
I'm assuming you mean the "80 percent of your starting wealth is tied up at home" thing. That's fine, but I like thinking about how my character's household is set up almost as much as I do adventuring. I'm a "yeah, my character helped kill an evil god that was great. But now she gets rewarded with higher Status and can have a fortified manor. Cool!"

Besides, I like having possessions listed on my character sheet (although I don't worry about how many pots and pans she has--I use the 80% rule for that. But I can tell you they're brown with a nice black trim).
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #13
tmedwards

Quote:
Thanks; that's one of the functions I haven't used yet. There are icons up there, aren't there? (Again, blame my NLD).
Yes. It's the one that looks like an open box. Also, it's available under the View menu.

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #14
tmedwards

Quote:
The only option I remember changing is unclicking "Load a new character on start-up," but that doesn't mean I didn't accidentally change something else. The Current Data Set is default.gds.
Options > Program Options > Calculation Options : Make sure the first two, which mention disabling auto-(re)calculation of various traits, are not checked. The default is all three unchecked.

Quote:
Is there some way I can return the program to factory default settings?
Yes, but it's less of a headache if you just re-enable auto-calculation.

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
Alden Loveshade

Removed my Post--I want to do more checking on what I found first.

Last edited by Alden Loveshade; 08-11-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: I wanted to do more checking
Old 08-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #16
Alden Loveshade

Leadership (Alchemy) and Leadership (Herb Lore) both get a bonus from Charisma....
Old 08-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #17
Alden Loveshade

B327 and B376 both say under Parrying, "Your Parry active defense with a given weapon is 3+ half your skill with that weapon, dropping all fractions." If my character has a regular broadsword and Broadsword 14, GCA 4 will give my skill with that given weapon as 14 and Parry as 10, which is correct (1/2 of 14 = 7, and 7 + 3 = 10).

But if I get a broadsword with +2 Accuracy, GCA will give my skill with that given weapon as 16 (correct) and Parry still at 10. By my understanding, that does not reflect my skill with that given weapon (1/2 of 16 = 8, and 8 + 3 = 11).
Old 08-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #18
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedwards View Post
Options > Program Options > Calculation Options : Make sure the first two, which mention disabling auto-(re)calculation of various traits, are not checked. The default is all three unchecked.

Yes, but it's less of a headache if you just re-enable auto-calculation.
I unchecked "Disable auto-recalculation of traits." When I reloaded the program, it was checked again. I don't know what happened--could have been me.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #19
Bruno

Quote:
B327 and B376 both say under Parrying, "Your Parry active defense with a given weapon is 3+ half your skill with that weapon, dropping all fractions." If my character has a regular broadsword and Broadsword 14, GCA 4 will give my skill with that given weapon as 14 and Parry as 10, which is correct (1/2 of 14 = 7, and 7 + 3 = 10).

But if I get a broadsword with +2 Accuracy, GCA will give my skill with that given weapon as 16 (correct) and Parry still at 10. By my understanding, that does not reflect my skill with that given weapon (1/2 of 16 = 8, and 8 + 3 = 11).
You're assuming Accuracy adds to skill for all purposes. The text of the enchantment seems to indicate it only adds for the purposes of hitting (although it's ambiguously worded, not uncommon for GURPS Magic).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #20
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
You're assuming Accuracy adds to skill for all purposes. The text of the enchantment seems to indicate it only adds for the purposes of hitting (although it's ambiguously worded, not uncommon for GURPS Magic).
I appreciate your comment and certainly understand that magic doesn't necessarily apply to real-world experience. I also understand the possible ambiguity.

M65 says Accuracy "makes a weapon more likely to hit by adding to the user's effective skill."

From my experience watching real-world "sword fighting" (admittedly I've mostly seen fencing or rattan weapons used), the more skilled a fighter is at swinging a weapon in combat usually the better he is whether making an attack or a Parry. Yes, I've seen some individuals who are extraordinarly good at Parry; I assume they have the Enhanced Parry enhancement.

To get cinematic, in the movies/fantasy fiction I can think of the blade wielder with a magic weapon is better at Parry (The Lord of the Rings for example). I can imagine a magical sword made to attack and not parry; but to me that would be a special case. ("How can I stop this blasted sword?")

Perhaps this calls for a rules ruling by a Great GURPS Guru.

Tags
errata, gca4, gurps 4th edition