Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 11-29-2008, 03:08 AM   #11
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: GCA In Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrollyFerret
To me it seems like a logical next step in pdf online publishing. Adding software tools to enhance gameplay. Since so many games are similar in their character generation routines it figures that a decent bit of software could be devised and a standard be made for rpg mechanics material.
It may seem like they're all similar and simple... but they're anything but. The amount of calculation it takes to track statistics for a weapon, including modifiers for MinST, Perks, Talents, Striking ST, and a myrid of other things is simply staggering. The complexity under the hood is equally staggering. And those mechanics are completely different from those used in d20 or Storyteller. Yeah, the basics are similar (attributes, skills/feats, advantages, etc), but all the fiddly bits aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrollyFerret
Still I think it might be better to start working on doing/supporting/funding an OSS version, perhaps one where companies can sell datasets for a small fee.
I think you (like many people) overestimate the number of people interested in participating in these kinds of projects. GCA is the work of one person, with one other person (me) contributing majorly to the project. Without both of us GCA wouldn't exist as it does today (without Armin, not at all, without me probably very little in the way of data files and a lot of enhancements we've brainstormed on). There's maybe two or three other people who have contributed significantly to GCA over the years (and many more that have helped in various ways). So in the entire GURPS community you're got about 5-10 people who really care about contributing to GCA to the point that they volunteer significantly their time, with similar numbers for each of the other character creation programs (GCB, GCS, etc). I don't know about the others, but I don't have the time to work on another project (I barely have the time and energy to work on GCA).
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 11-29-2008 at 06:24 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:09 AM   #12
Anatosuchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith
I think you (like many people) overestimate the number of people interested in participating in these kinds of projects.
I think you're right. I'm currently looking at platforms to create an open source GURPS character designer (and possibly embed that in a full-on campaign manager) but I don't really expect it to become a group effort.

Note that this isn't because I have a problem with GCA or a particular desire to do it "better" - I haven't even seen it but I'd simply buy it if I thought it would be reliable on my OS.
Anatosuchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith
Without both of us GCA wouldn't exist as it does today (without Armin, not at all, without me probably very little in the way of data files and a lot of enhancements we've brainstormed on).
Absolute truth. Thanks, Eric!

Armin
Old 11-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #14
Noven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsavigear
I think you're right. I'm currently looking at platforms to create an open source GURPS character designer (and possibly embed that in a full-on campaign manager) but I don't really expect it to become a group effort.

Note that this isn't because I have a problem with GCA or a particular desire to do it "better" - I haven't even seen it but I'd simply buy it if I thought it would be reliable on my OS.
GCS works flawlessly on linux. I use it and GCA (under wine) quite regularly.
Noven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:42 AM   #15
Anatosuchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noven
GCS works flawlessly on linux. I use it and GCA (under wine) quite regularly.
Hmm, I wasn't aware of GCS - looking at the site it seems there's a native *nix version too. It seems to work just fine, no need for an emulation layer, but at first glance doesn't seem to offer anything my existing spreadsheet doesn't (though it's possible I haven't explored carefully enough, I've only taken a quick peek). Nevertheless, thanks for the steer.
Anatosuchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #16
Woodman

Quote:
I wasn't aware of GCS - looking at the site it seems there's a native *nix version too
Its "native" java, so if you can get any JRE to work you can run GCS
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #17
ebenbrooks

These instructions work just as well for CrossOver Games on the Mac! Thanks! May I make a new thread about CrossOver Games (so people can find it) and credit you with the excellent instructions?
ebenbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:04 PM   #18
BrollyFerret

Thanks again! New computer needed to look up this post.
BrollyFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #19
Camillus

I'm trying to get GCA to work under wine but I'm not having any success. I've followed the instructions in the OP but now I've gone from an error message to GCA not starting at all.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 and wine 1.0.1.

Any suggestions?
Camillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #20
AronZ

Back to bug everyone again and pick some more brains. This is a repost.

I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid) and wine 1.1.1.7 and I am having a printing problem using the default character sheet and a display problem in the quick view. It seems that the reaction modifiers box for some reason extends pass the page. When I print the character sheet becomes a ten page mess. Anyone have any idea what is going on? To see the print results click THIS link for a PDF of the character sheet. I have updated print drivers, connected to other printers and even set pdf drive as my default printer and still the same problem. I have replaced the two dll files and set them to (native,built in), (Native) and (built in). I have even fiddled with the graphic settings in wine for GCA having GCA displayed in its own window of varying sizes, checked and unchecked all the options in various combinations and still no joy.

So any of you good people who managed to get GCA to work in Wine under linux have any idea what is causing this small but irritating problem? my players really do not like getting their character sheets in text layout form and my wife is not found of me hogging her computer the day before game to get things printed off.

Thanks
AronZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux