Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-05-2016, 04:48 AM   #1
Wavefunction

Default [Powers: The Weird] What does Environmental Adaptation replace.

So if I have a character with Environmental Adaptation (Cosmic, Even when chemical bonding is impossible, +50%; Reduced Time 5, +100%) [250], what do I no longer need to get?

Temperature Tolerance is obviously unnecessary. Likewise for any of the G-Tolerance traits, and Vac Support or Pressure Tolerance. It sounds like I wouldn't need Doesn't Breathe. How about Sealed, Immunity to Metabolic Hazards, etc?
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
Wavefunction

Default Re: [Powers: The Weird] What does Environmental Adaptation replace.

Also on the list of traits I don't know how it interacts with:

Radiation Tolerance
DR (I can't help feeling you need more than Temperature Tolerance to live in magma, but I might be wrong)

Additionally, would Environmental Adaptation that doesn't cause the character to develop gills, scales, etc. require No Signature, Cosmic, or just be a feature?
Old 04-05-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
Also on the list of traits I don't know how it interacts with:

Radiation Tolerance
DR (I can't help feeling you need more than Temperature Tolerance to live in magma, but I might be wrong)

Additionally, would Environmental Adaptation that doesn't cause the character to develop gills, scales, etc. require No Signature, Cosmic, or just be a feature?
There are explicit rules for coping with radiation, separate from EA.

If you can adapt instantaneously to a new environment, then you can instantaneously acquire a native temperature range suited to swimming in magma. On the other hand, you could probably be damaged by being splashed, sprayed, or otherwise impacted with it as an attack while inhabiting a liquid water environment; this could be rationalized as "internal biological stress from having one part of your body adapted to molten hydrogen oxide and another to molten silicon dioxide," perhaps.

Since the writeup of the advantage says that your body changes to develop suitable organs (and perhaps a suitable composition), I would say that not doing so in a visible way would require an enhancement. No Signature is probably about right.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:25 AM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
Temperature Tolerance is obviously unnecessary. Likewise for any of the G-Tolerance traits, and Vac Support or Pressure Tolerance. It sounds like I wouldn't need Doesn't Breathe. How about Sealed, Immunity to Metabolic Hazards, etc?
Sealed is an option for living in vacuum, but not the only one; if you have a closed cycle metabolism you take both Doesn't Breathe (or EA) and Sealed.

Immunity to Metabolic Hazards is probably too broad. You can be a native of a vent biome in the oceanic abyss and still be vulnerable to poisons and diseases; the ability to adapt to such a habitat, even instantaneously, wouldn't protect you against them, I don't think, but such things are definitely Metabolic Hazards.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:09 PM   #5
whswhs

Environmental Adaptation covers atmosphere, gravity, and temperature, but not radiation. I can see a logical case for saying it ought to cover radiation, but the basic GURPS rules define radiation as (a) always inflicting damage that (b) never completely heals. They don't really admit the concept of "a different native radiation level."

So far as atmosphere is concerned, you don't need Pressure Support or Vacuum Support; you can instantly adapt to any native pressure. You don't need Doesn't Breathe; you can instantly adapt to breathe chlorine, hydrogen, sulfur compounds, or other suffocating or toxic gases, or to an anaerobic metabolism that breaks down complex molecules. Since there's a version of Doesn't Breathe that lets you "breathe vacuum" as a zero point feature (by making oxygen toxic to you), you don't need Sealed to function in vacuum, and Sealed isn't included.

For gravity, you don't need Improved G-Tolerance and perhaps not G-Experience.

For temperature, you don't need Temperature Tolerance.

I think that's about it.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:42 AM   #6
Wavefunction

Thanks for the response! That's very helpful.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:58 AM   #7
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I think that's about it.
And illumination level, another 0-point feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird page 32
You acquire a new native atmospheric composition (e.g., changing from lungs to gills underwater), pressure, and gravity, and a new temperature comfort zone and illumination level (see Native Environments, p. 22).
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
the weird