Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-01-2021, 01:14 AM   #1
jacobmuller

Default (3D Print) Anyone bought a printer?

I've been looking at printers - $200 for a good beginner, self-levelling, multi material, WiFi machine - temptation.
But the only thing I'd print would be hexagonal standees. POD listings came out at $25 for 1. No way I'm paying anyone that much for something I don't actually Need but if I wanted hex standees (there's a free stl out there) then it'd be cheaper to buy a printer.

Anyone given in to the temptation?
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:42 AM   #2
RogerBW

Default Re: (3D Print) Anyone bought a printer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
I've been looking at printers - $200 for a good beginner, self-levelling, multi material, WiFi machine - temptation.
But the only thing I'd print would be hexagonal standees. POD listings came out at $25 for 1. No way I'm paying anyone that much for something I don't actually Need but if I wanted hex standees (there's a free stl out there) then it'd be cheaper to buy a printer.

Anyone given in to the temptation?
I've had a printer for a while but I use it more for boardgaming and wargaming than for RPGs; I don't use miniatures a lot in the first place, and upright bipeds are among the more challenging things to print with FDM. Boardgame component enhancements, and in-box storage systems, absolutely…

Also the things I don't design myself come from thingiverse, where they're free.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:50 AM   #3
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

I've been 3d printing for years. While I've done some minis, I find my FDM printer is best suited for printing terrain and various game aids like resource trackers (I also use it to do custom jigs for carpentry and a few other practical uses). Miniatures tend to come out OK, but not great. For that, I acquired a DLP printer with vastly better resolution than what a FDM printer can do, but that's a significant commitment in setting up a workspace and handling toxic waste afterwards.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:52 PM   #4
jacobmuller

Thank you, comrades.
Sounds pretty much as I thought.
I don't fancy handling the waste from DLP and the expendable materials are prohibitively expensive.
Had fun investigating the possibility, made two badly designed STLs of hexagonal standees, and come to the conclusion that I need to resist the temptation unless I find a serious use for piles of widgets made from PLA/ PETG/ TPU. Maybe after the pandemic...
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:35 PM   #5
RogerBW

A thing to bear in mind is that injection moulding on a large scale is much cheaper – when SJGames did the DFRPG kickstarter I compared their add-on costs for the hex standee bases to what I'd be able to print them for, and even with shipping it was better value to buy them.

And while it's quicker to print a small thing than to wait for delivery, it's not "I need 20 orcs right now" quick.

What the 3D printer is best for IME is the thing of the exact right shape that you can't simply buy in.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:59 PM   #6
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

At one point I had four 3d printers. I'm down to 1.5. I have an FDM that still works, and the USB Port on my DLP failed. The manufacturer doesn't sell through the company I got it from anymore, and don't recognize my support tickets. So, I'm going to have to figure out the issue myself.

But, yeah. We used the 3d Printers for RPGs when we met in meatspace. But, when we went to virtual, all of the skills I developed working on 3d models for printing carried over into 3d models for Tabletop Simulator.

But, yeah. 3d printing is a blast.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote