Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Agemegos

Default Re: Character assignments

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurrell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos
I'd like each of you to submit a tender in which you give a brief (one paragraph, five or six bullet points) description of each of eight characters:[*] the Military Intelligence officer you would like to play if you got stuck playing the military intelligence officer,[*] the Imperial Marines section leader (corporal) you would like to play if you got stuck playing the military intelligence officer (sic),
No ordinary marine you'd have to play if you're not the military intelligence officer?
Well, you can certainly throw one in for completeness if you want! But from my point of view the choice of who plays what is already so complicated that there can be little chance that you would get out of playing strong concepts for the MI officer and marine section leader by presenting an even stronger concept for an private. I'm going to have to assign that job on the basis of weighing a pair of military characters against the other leaders I have to give up to get them. The choice is overdetermined as it is. I'm just not going to be able to take marines concepts into account in making the assignment.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 08-20-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Agemegos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Did someone complain about "Icebird?" I kind of liked it....
No, I just thought that Icebird was a weak reference, not plausibly likely to be famous as an exploring vessel in nine hundred years. Beside, I used it in a recent campaign.

Would you prefer INS Fridtjof Nansen? Archangel Beth might be good enough to change the thread title for us.

Quote:
On the off chance you have it easily available, are there pointers to more info on any of the colonies you listed? I spot checked Todos Santos on the FB Wiki and hit a blank article. No need to write anything new, but I get the impression you have a lot of this data somewhere.
There is nothing usefully reliable: I completely re-generated the universe earlier this year to have everything consistent with a new star catalogue and for the first time to have physical data for everything. The result was that everything moved or got renamed (I mostly name colonies before I see how they are going to develop) or shifted from one end of the dev/population scale to the other.

I am supposed to be working on a rewrite of the colonies, but this year has got rather interrupted. One of the reasons for starting this campaign now is to hold my nose to the grindstone. So tell me what you want and I'll put it in.

Todos Santos, Aeneas, Mayflower, and Tau Ceti are fixed points in the setting that are to some extent immune to change. Todos Santos is the place where it is customary for everyone to use psych tech to short cut self-improvement. Todos Santos is famous for its psychologists and psych techs, and for professionals with heroic adherence to the ethics of their professions. It's also the freakishly polite, neat, orderly, law-abiding, diligent place where everyone has been "reconstructed", the practical utopia based on universal mindwipe.

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 08-20-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Todos Santos is the place where it is customary for everyone to use psych tech to short cut self-improvement. Todos Santos is famous for its psychologists and psych techs, and for professionals with heroic adherence to the ethics of their professions. It's also the freakishly polite, neat, orderly, law-abiding, diligent place where everyone has been "reconstructed", the practical utopia based on universal mindwipe.
I thought I knew where you'd got that name from, and that confirmed it.

(Non-player looking forward to seeing how this works.)
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
Agemegos

Default Re: Known colonies at 532 PDT, part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurrell View Post
Same planet? or two different ones?
Same one. The re-generation of the universe turned Emmaus from a significant belligerent in the Formation Wars to a backwater. The truth of Emmaus got moved to Egalité, that being easier and more satisfactory to my simulationist compulsions than reaching into the development model or (worse) the astrographic model.

Where is that quote from? I thought I patched them all last night.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [OOC] Starship 'Endeavour'

Is Hell/Tau Ceti still basically the same?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #16
Agemegos

Default Re: [OOC] Starship 'Fritjof Nansen'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Is Hell/Tau Ceti still basically the same?
Yes. Tau Ceti, Mayflower, Aeneas, and Todos Santos are constant stars in the firmament.

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 08-20-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #17
Adina

Musing on ages:

So 495 for the founding of the Empire itself and 501 for start of the Imperial schools. Which means that Imperials born and raised ('farmed fur') in 532 can't be any older than mid-thirties.

And the first Marine regiments as such were established in 507. So any Marines with more than 25 years in uniform would have started as Foundation troops of some sort.
Adina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #18
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurrell View Post
Musing on ages:

So 495 for the founding of the Empire itself and 501 for start of the Imperial schools. Which means that Imperials born and raised ('farmed fur') in 532 can't be any older than mid-thirties.

And the first Marine regiments as such were established in 507. So any Marines with more than 25 years in uniform would have started as Foundation troops of some sort.
Those are the unavoidable necessities of examining the process by which the Empire rediscovered the Periphery. In view of the Empire's necessary attitudes to what might be out there I couldn't get them to put off Survey any longer. And I couldn't extend Survey much by increasing the number of colonies because Survey is really cheap and the Empire's wealth is growing fast in this period. Besides, to get more colonies I had to postpone the Destruction of Earth, and when I did that population and development on Tau Ceti got out of hand.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #19
Agemegos

The hornéd and gory Viking Hat urges me to remind players that I might contract players to play characters that are somewhat different from the concepts they tender: that is, a character tendered for the Dean might be offered a contract in the research pool, or one tendered as XO might get promoted to Captain, etc. I might even ask you to add a feature or cut out a feature from the character you tender. The character tenders are starting points. So don't sweat the details: just get those concepts down in the most essential forms.

Players in Australasia and Africo-Eurasia may begin writing now.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #20
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
No, I just thought that Icebird was a weak reference, not plausibly likely to be famous as an exploring vessel in nine hundred years. Beside, I used it in a recent campaign.

Would you prefer INS Fridtjof Nansen? Archangel Beth might be good enough to change the thread title for us.
I have no trouble with 'Endeavour,' if that is easiest, but 'Fridtjof Nansen' would be fine too.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat black, planetary romance, sci-fi, space opera, ultra-tech