Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #21
Jürgen Hubert

Default Re: Campaign Setting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
The Wolpertinger!
Nothing beats the Aufhocker - a fairy creature (or ghost, or elemental) that waits for lone travelers late at night, and then jumps on their backs, rides them, and induces terror in them until they collapse in the nearest ditch.

If there's a better excuse for why you are back too late from the tavern, I don't know what it is...
Old 10-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #22
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
Nothing beats the Aufhocker - a fairy creature (or ghost, or elemental) that waits for lone travelers late at night, and then jumps on their backs, rides them, and induces terror in them until they collapse in the nearest ditch.
So basically a L4D2 Jockey?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #23
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
So basically a L4D2 Jockey?
*Reads it up.*

Pretty similar, though they seem to limit themselves to pure terror instead of clawing at someone's face.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Alchemical Baroque is also set in the aftermath of the 30 years war.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:02 AM   #25
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbower View Post
GOG sells it, and it's supposed to work on modern machines: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/darklands
That is ... very good indeed. If very hard to get the hang of. I can see that taking up a lot of my evenings for a while.

Glad to see that someone has had the novel idea of selling back catalogue games rather than obliging everyone to use illegal versions.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #26
cbower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
That is ... very good indeed. If very hard to get the hang of. I can see that taking up a lot of my evenings for a while.
It's one of my three favorite computer games of all time. I lost many an hour playing it back in the ancient days of youth.
cbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #27
Agramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Has anyone had significant experience with using a setting similar to late medieval / renaissance Germany? There was a chap going on about it on the radio last night - actually in the context of the thirty years war - what with microstates down to the lands of a single abbey and up to things resembling a proper country all at least nominally under the rule of a (somewhat distant) Emperor.

It occured to me that it would make a pretty good setting for a low fantasy RPG - plenty of scope for limited warfare, intrigue and the like. Possibly some German RPG company has already worked this out...

Ring of Fire book series by Eric Flint is great and is in that time period.
Starts with 1632
It starts with modern USA town being "transported" to 1632 year,but instead could be banestorm with elves?! Anyhow series is well written with a lot of historical people in it that you could use to "snatch as ideas" for their personalities

I think you can get 1632 for free on Baens free online library

Great community...give it a try :)
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #28
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbower View Post
GOG sells it, and it's supposed to work on modern machines: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/darklands
Without DOSbox?

I tried for years and years to get Darklands to run on various PCs, but could not get it to not crash when the combat started. I gave up. A few years later I started silently wishing somebody would create an MS-DOS PC emulator, and a year or two after that, someone did. I heard of DOSbox, downloaded it, and had no problms getting Darklands to run.

I had immense problems with the primitive combat scene graphics, though. They're inferior to even those of an Amiga, so I've never been able to get into the game.

I did buy the Hint Book, I think through Amazon UK (years ago), and there's one hint you need to know if you want to play the game: Go for high-penetration weapons, especially Military Hammers. The weapon/armour system is quite different from anything I've ever seen in a tabletop RPG.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:08 AM   #29
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Without DOSbox?

I tried for years and years to get Darklands to run on various PCs, but could not get it to not crash when the combat started. I gave up. A few years later I started silently wishing somebody would create an MS-DOS PC emulator, and a year or two after that, someone did. I heard of DOSbox, downloaded it, and had no problms getting Darklands to run.

I had immense problems with the primitive combat scene graphics, though. They're inferior to even those of an Amiga, so I've never been able to get into the game.

I did buy the Hint Book, I think through Amazon UK (years ago), and there's one hint you need to know if you want to play the game: Go for high-penetration weapons, especially Military Hammers. The weapon/armour system is quite different from anything I've ever seen in a tabletop RPG.
The GOG version has a launcher with DOSbox built in to it, which solves my old problem of anything in DOSbox running in a ~1/4 screen window. They also give you the map, hint book and manual as part of the bundle.

I would almost rather they'd stylised the combat graphics rather than attempting such a lumpy animation, but having scratched the surface of the game so far it's such a minor quibble that I'm prone to ignore it.

I'd wonder about a re-launch like they did with Sid Meir's Pirates, but they'd only increase the use of sytem resources by (at least one) order of magnitude for (at best) a marginal increase in playability.

Oh, and GOG also sell the other masterpiece cRPG Planescape: Torment ... the third giant, Deus Ex is still on general sale of course since the release of Human Revolution.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:52 AM   #30
smurf
Banned

There are few settings within the period that could be explored:

Wat Tyler's Peasant Rebellion of 1381

Another aspect to life under feudalism at that time. The Lollards who believed in a different doctrine than the Catholic Church. Falstaff from Henry V was based on a Lollard trial.

Lutheranism was the cousin of the Wycliffite hersery of iconclasm. Lead reformers by Thomas Moore and Thomas Cranmer. All kicking off in the 15th Century.

In Europe, with out Iconclasm, Erasmus and Zwingli take up the reformation challenge. With two Kappel Wars to boot.

Martin Luther's challenge was one of the most amusing. One to have an internal debate with leading theologans Luther nails his 95 thesis to the Castle Church in Wittenberg.

Now someone must have forget to tell Luther about the modern science of the printing press. A Gutenberg's printing press set to work printing the 95 Thesis and in 2 weeks it was all over Germany, in 2 months it was across Europe. Such speed of information dispersal must have came as shock to sum.

Nicholas Storch and Thomas Muntzer took it seriously with the Peasant's War in Germany. Both died during the war, the latter at the Battle of Frankenhausen.

Not sure but there is plenty of stuff to go on with.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
germany, history, low fantasy, setting