Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #21
Icelander

Default Re: Building a Better Bourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieclone View Post
You've selected ST11 whereas I'd put him as 12 realistically.
What Bourne does is ST 13, at least. For the extra damage in unarmed combat, you see. His strikes usually cripple the limbs of people who don't successfully parry them.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #22
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRonin View Post
Languages: English (Native‡) [0]; French (Native‡) [4]; German (Native‡) [4]; Russian (Native‡) [4]; Spanish (Native‡) [4].
There might be a language default between french and spanish, if so that would shave 2 points.
Quote:
Cultural Adaptability [10];
You could shave a few points here by buying Cultural Familiarity [1/level], instead. How many cultures does he need to be familiar with? Bearing in mind the broad definitions of culture: East Asian, Muslim, Western, etc.
Quote:
Tactics (H) IQ-2 [1]-11
You might want to bump this up, the reroll rules in martial arts make it very useful.

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 03-28-2011 at 05:52 PM.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #23
TheOneRonin

Thanks for the feedback. All of you have given excellent responses.

As far as the points and skill levels go, it seems I've not quite gotten a good feel for how certain attribute/skill levels translate into what I expect the outcomes to be "in game".

So having said that, I'd like to know what you all would set the following to if you were trying to stat out Jason Bourne (no CP limits)...specifically in regards to his hand-to-hand combat capabilities:

ST: ? (suggested 13 by Icelander)
DX: ?
HT: ?
Basic Speed: ?

Karate: ?
Judo: ?
Melee Weapon skill(s)?

ADVANTAGES (Combat Related only)
-Combat Reflexes: check!
-Danger Sense: check!
-What else?

TECHNIQUES (melee combat only)

Maybe one I understand where the Community puts Jason Bourne in regards to theses skills/abilities, I can better stat out the character I'm wanting to play.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #24
pawsplay

Quote:
So having said that, I'd like to know what you all would set the following to if you were trying to stat out Jason Bourne (no CP limits)...specifically in regards to his hand-to-hand combat capabilities:
[i]
ST: ? (suggested 13 by Icelander)
DX: ?
HT: ?
Basic Speed: ?
ST 13 sounds good to me. I would say his DX is pretty uncanny, probably 15. His IQ is not superlative, but high enough to justify reliable rolls on his Intuition, Danger Sense, and his skills; given his polymathic abilities, probably 13. His HT seems fairly down to Earth, maybe only 12 or so if he has Fit and Rapid Healing, which I think he does. His Basic Speed is at least 6; he definitely wins initiative reliably, and he moves in a blur. I would probably leave it at 6.25, assuming DX 15 and HT 12.

His ability to read others depends on some extent to his training, but I think his hunches are enough of a knack to justify Sensitive.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #25
Langy

I'd set his combat skills at 16+ - he's very good. Probably more like 18 or so. I don't remember enough about either the books or the movies to give specific techniques, though.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #26
TheOneRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I'd set his combat skills at 16+ - he's very good. Probably more like 18 or so. I don't remember enough about either the books or the movies to give specific techniques, though.
16+ with a 15 DX, or 16+ with a 13 DX?

With a 15 DX, wouldn't that be a skill level of 18? Is that right, or is that too high?
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #27
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Bourne is a 600+ point character, of course. Probably more, if we consider how easily he subdues multiple armed and trained soldiers or policemen in a matter of seconds.

For 350-points and with the necessity of taking the wide range of skills that realistic special operators have, you're not going to get anywhere close to that.
If you're in a fairly strictly mundane campaign, sure, Bourne is 600+.

The other option is to let him buy Unusual Background and dabble in Powers. Then he could be statted with about 200-250 in mundane special forces stuff and then add ATR.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #28
Langy

Quote:
16+ with a 15 DX, or 16+ with a 13 DX?

With a 15 DX, wouldn't that be a skill level of 18? Is that right, or is that too high?
Just 16+ period. With 15 DX, that'd still just be 16+.

That is, I'm not saying he should definitely have 16 points in his combat skills - his skill level should be 16 or higher.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #29
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
His IQ is not superlative, but high enough to justify reliable rolls on his Intuition, Danger Sense, and his skills; given his polymathic abilities, probably 13.
His ability to read others depends on some extent to his training, but I think his hunches are enough of a knack to justify Sensitive.
I am not fixed on any IQ score...however from the movies (havent read books yet) I would probably buy up Perception a tick or two from the IQ score.

I am thinking of the scene in the diner from the first movie where he is rattling off things like "the guy drinking coffee at the counter is 220 lbs, left handed, and knows how to handle himself; there are six cars in the parking lot and I can tell you which one is most likely to have a gun. etc etc etc."

A lot of that is training to interpret the information. But you need The Perception and PER-based skills or you are sunk before you start.

my 2 pfenning...
Old 03-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #30
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
I am not fixed on any IQ score...however from the movies (havent read books yet) I would probably buy up Perception a tick or two from the IQ score.

I am thinking of the scene in the diner from the first movie where he is rattling off things like "the guy drinking coffee at the counter is 220 lbs, left handed, and knows how to handle himself; there are six cars in the parking lot and I can tell you which one is most likely to have a gun. etc etc etc."
IMO, that's textbook use of the Observation skill.

Oh, and should Bourne have High Pain Threshold?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bourne, cia, jason bourne, ludlum