Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
Tacoboy

Default Computer game progress

Might be nice if someone made Orge/GEV into a modern computer game.
Tacoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
KevinR

Default Re: Computer game progress

The $300K stretch goal of the Kickstarter was a commitment to release an Ogre computer game, "for some platform or platforms". There probably hasn't been much progress, but hopefully we will hear more of these plans after October.
KevinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
hcobb

The Oblivious concepts range from

An Ogre skin to a fairly generic "First Ogre Shooter" realtime game.

to

A MMOG with plotted moves and timed ticks. (Kind of like UltraCorps.)
Old 08-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Cyborgmutant

Ever since my copy of the first Ogre computer game (I still have the radiation badge in a box somewhere) stopped working (long before I stopped using floppy disks) I have wanted an updated version.

My vote would be for a turn based tactical wargame like the original but with better graphics, better AI (the computer being able to run any combination of Ogres and conventional forces), and updated with the 6e rules, and with map and unit editors, and allowing games of up to 12 players or AIs just in case you want to run your own Exercise K.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
brandonm
Cybernetic Overlord, Protector of the Fairness, Ebliberator of Stealage & Grand Purveyor of Laser Cats

I have no formal announcements to make but a computer game was a promised stretched goal during the KS and we are actively pursuing fulfillment of that promise.
brandonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
hagbard

my 2 cents, I'd love to see something that replicates the board game feel. No RTS style, turn based is where it's at.

The ability to create your own units would be nice, as I don't really follow the OGREverse fluff. Aircraft and seafaring rules akin to the stuff in the ogre book would be really awesome.
hagbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
ScarecrowKing

If it ends up being RTS, I'll pass too. It should replicate the board game as closely as possible. My personal preference would be more akin to the DE, rather than a port of Classic Ogre. Having all the units available, with the choice of playing either attack or defense, would be great. If it works out, I foresee many many hours lost to it, just like the DE.

-Brian
ScarecrowKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
HeatDeath

A while back I did a couple of days of serious thinking about what a real time simulation of slow-moving (relative to their range) artillery platforms spamming each other's general locations with relatively ineffective area effect weapons would play like.

I was able to conceptualize most of the dynamics of the board game, but I found it very difficult to model the GEV-like ability to hit slow moving short ranged units and retreat without ever having been vulnerable to return fire. The closest I was able to figure was to massively decrease the amount of time a GEV-like unit would need to have a reasonable chance of inflicting a disruption or destruction result. If this massively increased DPS is combined with massively increased speed the result is a unit on a completely different power curve than everything else in the game, and it still doesn't feel quite right.

I suspect, therefore, that a straight RTS based on Ogre would probably have to deviate substantially from the behaviors simulated in the board game, or sacrifice significant marketability. The turn-length of four minutes, combined with the movement speeds, drives a pace for the engagements that is much more Harpoon-like than Starcraft-like, and that would probably not be palatable to the mass market.

A turn-based game, with sufficient polish, is much more likely to satisfy both the hardcore fans and a (reletively) mass audience.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbard View Post
my 2 cents, I'd love to see something that replicates the board game feel. No RTS style, turn based is where it's at.
Indeed -- if one wants a "real-time" feel, get a kitchen timer, and program it to 4 minutes; you have that long to move and shoot all your units. :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
AstralWanderer

Another vote for a turn-based just-like-the-boardgame version (though 3D unit representations would be OK, if a 2D display option was kept for those with old, old systems and mobile platforms).

The challenge is certainly going to be AI - the original game had a whole section of the manual explaining how the Ogre calculated its moves (still an interesting read today) and having multiple scenarios (plus GEV rules for terrain, etc) seems likely to make that a whole lot more complex.

It may make more sense to take an existing TBS game and reskin it with Ogre units - the Battle Worlds Kronos KS might be one way to go here (with SJG funding/producing an Ogre mod pack).

Rules would be the issue here since a strict boardgame implementation might be difficult, but more complex/realistic/plausible combat models would be a greater benefit in my view.
AstralWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote