Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #11
selenite

Default Re: Kickstarter Update

I expect you'll have volunteers to pitch in.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #12
FJCestero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleisher View Post
Another, even better update!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1598681

Congratulations Drew!
Congratulations Drew! You da man!
You know, even though what we're talking about is a world mired in a decades long nuclear war dominated by giant cybernetic engines of Armageddon -- I'm oddly optimistic! :)
FJCestero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #13
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJCestero View Post
You know, even though what we're talking about is a world mired in a decades long nuclear war dominated by giant cybernetic engines of Armageddon -- I'm oddly optimistic! :)
Fan-TAS-tic! That's what will help keep us wallowing in Ogre goodness for a long time to come!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #14
atomic

Congratulations, Drew! I know we're in good hands!

Looking forward to buying a ton of plastic minis. I believe my painting queue just got exponentially longer! :)
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:18 AM   #15
Tim Kauffman

Awesome!

Congratulations Drew and Thank You for your continued enthusiasm and support for the OGREverse.

If you need anything artwork wise, or conceptual kicking around input I volunteer. I have that new capable PC for graphics I didn't have before. The earlier the heads up about what you may have use for to help out the better.

I posted this long ago concerning the plastic OGRE minis but will post again because I think it may have merit enough to be worth doing.
Picture those 3D OGREs that Winchell did awhile ago...as 3D objects, all the Main Batteries, Secondary Batteries and AP guns can be rotated because the guns and the OGRE hull are separate pieces.
Now, these 3D objects are what will be used to make those Plastic OGREs (I assume). It would be so cool if the Main and Secondary Batteries were separate pieces because it would mean two really cool things.
First and coolest, you could pose the guns.
Second, you could remove them to show guns that have been destroyed.

From a design point, the ends of the guns would have a ball and this end would pop into a slightly smaller ball shaped cavity in the OGREs chassis. You would want the ball and the ball socket to be of such a size relation to each other that they fit very snugly so the guns would stay in position.
Yes, this would require more design work to make, but imagine being able to pose the Main and Secondary Batteries of your plastic OGREs!
As an added sales pitch to have this done, the same design concept could also be used for Emplaced Weapons in buildings, which I assume will also be forthcoming after the plastic OGREs fly off the shelf. ;)

Now, having posable AP guns would be possible, but admitedly probably too much of a good thing...or would it?

If posable Mains and Secondaries are going to be done, removable OGRE Missiles would be just as cool, but to have them be removable you would have to have no directional fins so they could slide in or out of the launch tubes without the fins keeping them locked inside the OGRE chassis.
Here, again, like the Main and Secondary Batteries, it would be a snug fit, so they would stay in place securely, but able to be put in or taken out without too much resistance.
This is where the beauty of 3D computer objects comes in, as the required sizes can be made and proof tested and adjusted as needed for that snug fit.

Have a look at Winchell's awesome 3D renderings of OGREs:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nyrath...7630128928642/
He has posed the Mains and Secondaries in various poses on some of the OGREs. This gives a good example of what posable OGRE guns would look like.
You will also see what a removable OGRE Missile would look like for example.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #16
HeatDeath

So much depends on the hardness of the specific plastic they've got quotes for, but generally speaking, you're not gonna be able to have "repeatedly pop into and out of place" ball and socket joints compatible with "holds snugly". If the joint is firm enough to hold snugly, the plastic will be too hard to surive repeated add/remove cycles without straining or snapping, and conversely, if the plastic is soft enough to handle repeated add/remove cycles, not only will it be too loose to hold the guns straight, but it will probably not hold fine details very well.

You can see these engineering issues in virtually every Transformers toy Hasbro have put out in the last 15 years. The ball-and-socket joints are usually made of noticeably softer plastic than the sections that need to hold a lot of detail, and even then usually have expansion slots in the socket itself to provide extra flexibility. And even with all their resources, loose ball-and-socket joints are a continuous and ongoing QA issue.

I just can't see this working without major re-engineering to the current Ogre miniature sculpts.

Also, congratulations Drew!

If anyone has shown how qualified they are for this job, it's the guy who made the "Barbarians at the Gate" supplement!
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #17
Buzzardo

I don't want action figures. Plain old miniatures will do fine.

It's the same issue when I'm playing GURPS with miniatures. I don't want to spend time waiting for everyone to manipulate their action figure. I want them to plunk their mini down in the right hex, facing the right way, and be done, so that the game moves as quickly as it can.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #18
Ashley

What I want is to be able to buy Combine miniatures without having to buy Pan European, and getting Ogres separately would be ideal but it sounds like that I will not get what I want.

There again I'm use to not getting what I want. So no change there.

Blogs:
http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:32 AM   #19
al_kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
If the joint is firm enough to hold snugly, the plastic will be too hard to surive repeated add/remove cycles without straining or snapping, and conversely, if the plastic is soft enough to handle repeated add/remove cycles, not only will it be too loose to hold the guns straight, but it will probably not hold fine details very well.
Well put! As cool as moveable guns would be, that would add a lot to the cost of the models. Then, when the guns start drooping because the joints loosen people will get ticked. Not to mention when the sockets break because of improper assy. That's asking for trouble. It will be cool to have new minis available, though!

Al
al_kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:33 AM   #20
jfleisher

If they decide to use different colors for the two sides, then that may split the sprues up more conveniently. I just really hope they decide to do ALL the different miniatures.

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote