Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #31
smoothhands

Default Re: Wizard's Charm vs Friendship Potion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawile View Post
I would like to sum up the thread and ask a question.
1) if you defeated a monster (with Mage's Charming, Magic Lamp, Pollymorph Potion and so on), no one can stop the combat (by playing Friendship Potion, Monsters Are Busy, Out To Lunch, Practice Combat and so on).
2) if you defeated a monster, but another monster is wandered, the combat can be stopped, but that card does not affect the first monster, so you take his treasures along with some treasures, that a stopping card may give.
3) if you faced multiple monsters and defeated one of them, the combat can be stopped and you don't get extra treasures from the first defeated monster.

The third part was not in this thread, so the question is, if I'm correct about all this.
To me, #3 is the same as #2, only a different order as to when monsters appeared. However, in either case, a monster is defeated and gone from the battle, and no subsequent cards played can affect that unless they are specifically worded to do so (Dead Broke)...or unless you are forced to Run Away, in which case you get no treasure. The worst that can happen is that the combat is stopped after you defeat a monster and you get no treasure for those other monsters, but like the situation of Charming->monster wanders in->Monsters Are Busy, you would get the treasure for the monster that was defeated and no longer in play when the combat-ending card is played.
smoothhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #32
mawile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothhands View Post
To me, #3 is the same as #2, only a different order as to when monsters appeared. However, in either case, a monster is defeated and gone from the battle, and no subsequent cards played can affect that unless they are specifically worded to do so (Dead Broke)...or unless you are forced to Run Away, in which case you get no treasure. The worst that can happen is that the combat is stopped after you defeat a monster and you get no treasure for those other monsters, but like the situation of Charming->monster wanders in->Monsters Are Busy, you would get the treasure for the monster that was defeated and no longer in play when the combat-ending card is played.
i made difference between #2 and #3 baecause of this post, so i'm not shure if that's correct...
mawile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:39 AM   #33
smoothhands

Quote:
i made difference between #2 and #3 baecause of this post, so i'm not shure if that's correct...
Ah, yes, he does seem to imply that there would be a different outcome if monsters were already in the battle...
smoothhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #34
kotya

Quote:
I would like to sum up the thread and ask a question.
1) if you defeated a monster (with Mage's Charming, Magic Lamp, Pollymorph Potion and so on), no one can stop the combat (by playing Friendship Potion, Monsters Are Busy, Out To Lunch, Practice Combat and so on).
2) if you defeated a monster, but another monster is wandered, the combat can be stopped, but that card does not affect the first monster, so you take his treasures along with some treasures, that a stopping card may give.
3) if you faced multiple monsters and defeated one of them, the combat can be stopped and you don't get extra treasures from the first defeated monster.

The third part was not in this thread, so the question is, if I'm correct about all this.
as stated here, 3 is correct. and 2 is correct as well, according to Andrew's answer in this thread.
kotya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:52 AM   #35
Witch

Hi all...firstly, sorry for continuing this thread after like six years, but I have a very similar question(s).
-> Does everything you explained (about battle not being over after Charm and a possibility of a new Wandering Monster) apply on the Ranger's Tame power? Could you possibly send another monster after tame is compete?
And secondly, is there an explanation why in fact the battle isn't over after charm..? Just curious about that, cause we've been playing for a year with a rule that you can't do a rat's fart after Wizard has charmed the monster.. :D
Thanx!
Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #36
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch View Post
Hi all...firstly, sorry for continuing this thread after like six years, but I have a very similar question(s).
-> Does everything you explained (about battle not being over after Charm and a possibility of a new Wandering Monster) apply on the Ranger's Tame power? Could you possibly send another monster after tame is compete?
Yes. As the Ranger ability does not say the battle is over, it isn't. Wandering Monster can add a monster to an empty battle, so it works.

Quote:
And secondly, is there an explanation why in fact the battle isn't over after charm..? Just curious about that, cause we've been playing for a year with a rule that you can't do a rat's fart after Wizard has charmed the monster.. :D
Thanx!
It's for the same reason as above. The ability doesn't say the battle is over, so the battle is not over.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #37
abbath

I REALLY don't get it.

We play munchkin for few years and spent many hours reading rules,faqs,forums,etc..

When a wizard charms a monster and someone puts a wondering monster with greater level than the wizard and the wizard can't win it,he doesn't get the treasures from the charmed monster also..because as the rules say,you can't gain any treasures if you don't succesfully defeat all the monsters in the combat.. At least that's how we play it..

I also don't get why you can't use potion of cowardice,when a wizard charmed a monster. It says you leave the fight even if you could defeat the monsters. Isn't the charm ability considered a defeat?

An answer would be helpfull. thx

ps: In any case,we'll propably continue to play it that way,because you must have a way to stop the wizards gaining treasures all the time. Like a house rule.

Last edited by abbath; 11-27-2014 at 09:12 PM.
abbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #38
MunchkinMan

Because there's no Monster to Run Away from, since the Monster that was previously there was defeated. That's different than saying that there's a Monster there that you could defeat. However, since you have to give people a chance to stop you, adding a new Monster via a Wandering Monster card is acceptable, but playing any card that relies on a Monster still being there won't work.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
friendship potion, wizard charm