Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
The_Ryujin

Default Can you stack linked damage against DR?

Quick question for the hive mind, is there a RAW way to make an attack that has two diffrent damage types that stack?

For example lets say I want to stat something like a Warhammer 40k power sword using an innate attack that does normal cutting or implying damage but is also surrounded by an enegery field that erodes normal matter so I want it to do an extra +1d corrosive damage which stacks with the cutting/implying damage (note: to avoid confusion and people getting caught up on the power weapon angle; this is just a hypothetical example, I'm not looking to literally recreate a 40k power weapon. I know how easy it is to get side tracked on the fiddly details heh)

And if there isn't a RAW way of doing this, any ideas how to?

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
chandley

Default Re: Can you stack linked damage against DR?

Link would be how you would do it, except there is no clean way of deciding which part of the damage is what penetrates DR.

Different damage types get different injury modifiers once they pass through DR, and stacking two dissimilar types with the idea that they help get past DR creates a problem there. About the best you can do in that case is to buy ONE Innate attack with a base damage type, and then add in all the damage effects of the other type through enhancements.

So:
Innate Attack Cutting 1d (Corrosive +100%), getting you a generally x1.5x wounding modifier after DR, and the ability to burn of impacted DR at the usual 5 damage to 1 DR ratio, along with the the "blinds one eye on a major wound" benefit on a hit to the face. Conversely, it should have to deal with DR (corrosion only) where a normal cutting attack wouldnt.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
The_Ryujin

@chandley: Ah, ok. That idea words, in fact with the idea I had in mind your suggestion might even work better since armor eroding properties of corrosive was what I was interested in. Thanks!

So pretty much take the point cost of the damage type you want to add, multiple it by ten and throw a percentage sign on it to make it a modifier.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
Old 12-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
@chandley: Ah, ok. That idea words, in fact with the idea I had in mind your suggestion might even work better since armor eroding properties of corrosive was what I was interested in. Thanks!
If the armor-eroding properties are what you want, why not just use Linked as written? That will deliver the corrosive damage and the cutting damage simultaneously but separately, so each can do their thing.

Or you could make the cutting be a follow-up on the corrosive, so that if the corrosive effect actually penetrates the armor, the cutting doesn't need to.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
If the armor-eroding properties are what you want, why not just use Linked as written?
Basically because I wanted the corrosive effect to be cumulative with the cutting/impaling damage, think like a plasma cutter effect.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
You need to also specify in what order they penetrate. It gets ugly.
Exactly. Much better to make one a Follow-Up, Link them or just set one kind of damage.
Perhaps a better question would be whether there's an Enhancement (in the style of Extra Blunt Trauma or Incendiary ) that will add the DR destroying nature of Corrosive to your Cutting damage. I can't recall if there is.

Last edited by The Benj; 12-11-2014 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Clarity as to what I was responding to.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
Angle

Doesn't follow up do this RAW?

Okay, so only says that if the carrier penetrates, then DR has no effect, but doesn't specify what happens if the carrier effect penetrates halfway. I don't think it's unreasonable to read it the way you want, though. At most, I'd apply an extra 20% enhancement and call it a day.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post

So pretty much take the point cost of the damage type you want to add, multiple it by ten and throw a percentage sign on it to make it a modifier.
Actually, I estimated it as "Corrosion innate attacks are twice as expensive as crushing innate attacks, which are kind of the default, so +100% might fly as an enhancement" since it isnt in the list in Characters, Powers, Supers or Psionic Powers. Compared to something like Surge, Arcing at +150%, Corrosion at +100% might be close. Others may disagree.

Similarly, if I where adding the effects of cutting damage to a Corrosion Innate Attack (so, better wounding modifier most places, but especially against neck, veins and arteries, etc), Id call it a +40% enhancement, as Cutting attacks are 40% more expensive than crushing attacks.

Its not a perfect way to estimate, just a place to start. Adjust as needed for your games balance.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
The Benj

I think the Wounding mods are too fundamental to make them into Enhancements, but making the corrosive effect into a +100% Enhancement sounds about right to me.

Or you could just give it an Armour Divisor based on it cutting through stuff and call that good.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
I think the Wounding mods are too fundamental to make them into Enhancements
It can make sense to turn them into enhancements, but mostly as part of a more general reworking of the innate attack rules.

Tags
damage stacking, rules