Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 09-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #61
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Munchkin Quest 3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimhead View Post
Do the portal cards start in the deck, or in your hand like the Reversal Of fortunes scroll?
They're shuffled into the deck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
...just curious if the portal idea was in any way inspired by the idea for portals I had a while back?
We'd been working on a supplement with Portals for months when you made that post. (Which just proves what a good idea it was!) Originally, it was going to be larger, but we decided to go with a smaller, focused release instead.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #62
Johnny Angel

I need to start posting my ideas earlier so I can possibly get some credit. :-)
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #63
MunchkinMan

No, please don't post them. This falls under card ideas, set ideas, etc. Card submission and set ideas have their place, and it's not the forums.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #64
Quaff_fu

Munchkin Quest: Portal Kombat now has The Rules posted.

http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/munch.../portalkombat/

Pat
Old 11-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #65
lola

We (3 of us) played with Portal Kombat over the weekend and got a kick out of it. For us, everyone's turns went a whole lot faster because we were spending a lot of Move to travel to rooms for deals. Having easier access to rooms with good deals sped the game up too - though maybe having a Portal between the Chamber of Commerce and the Pawn Shop (I think it was that - the room that lets you buy an item from the top three treasure discards at 1/2 price) was just too good.

In any case, we liked it. We'll have to play a few more times, but I suspect that for us, we'll pull out the wild Portals, as we just don't want to make things TOO easy on ourselves...
lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #66
crimhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola View Post
I suspect that for us, we'll pull out the wild Portals, as we just don't want to make things TOO easy on ourselves...
That's funny. I haven't got a copy yet, but I was suspecting we might buy two sets to ensure the portals come into play enough! I'm planning on trying it a few times first, though.

Incidentally, which other expansions and options were you using? We played the other day with MQ2 and the new proposed options limited exploration and alternative uses for movement. Those optional rules make for a smaller dungeon, as it is explored more slowly, but munchkins tend to do a little better searching and fighting.

I counted I think thirty links drawn at the end of the game. I'm not sure how many links came with MQ2, but I'm guessing portals will account for roughly 20 per cent of all links. Twenty per cent of thirty is six, and with six portals drawn there is only a slim chance of no pairs, and probably a good chance of more than one. Me, I'd like to see at least two magic passageways by mid-game.

Do you remember roughly how many magic passageways you had by end-game and by mid-game?
crimhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #67
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimhead View Post
Do you remember roughly how many magic passageways you had by end-game and by mid-game?
Zero, because there are no links called that in the game. They're Portals.

I really can't stress enough how important it is to use the defined game terms; as soon as you start bringing in your own vocabulary, you risk confusing people.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #68
crimhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I really can't stress enough how important it is to use the defined game terms; as soon as you start bringing in your own vocabulary, you risk confusing people.
Sorry Andrew. And you're absolutely correct.

I thought I'd remembered seeing the term 'magic passageway' in the glossary additions, but on closer look what I has seen was "magical passageway", and it is in the definition of 'portal', not a term on it's own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Zero, because there are no links called that in the game. They're Portals.
Case and point about confusion, I didn't mean to be asking about the the number of portal links, but rather the number of pairs of matching portal links.

The wording is actually quite confusing as written in the rules, at least to me. The glossary recursively defines a portal as a magic passageway between rooms with matching portals attached. If there are two matching portal links in play, there could be up to four "magical passageways from one room to another with a matching portal attached".

It seems the word 'portal' is used ambiguously to mean both a type of link and an interaction between links. This is bound to cause confusion I think.

I guess the best way to have asked my question would be 'how many matches were in play'?

Last edited by crimhead; 11-09-2010 at 03:00 PM.
crimhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
munchkin quest 3