Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 11-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Promoting MQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazinjsin View Post
I really think Quest should get more promotion honestly
This is off-topic for the Munchkin forum, so I'm moving it to the MQ forum (or will, as soon as I finish typing). What sort of promotion do you think is appropriate?

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
Blazinjsin

Default Re: Promoting MQ

I couldn't say definitively (you guys have more marketing experience than me), but I personally would love to see a set of Fairy Dust/Munchkinomicon that worked with Quest (the current ones don't at all), or another promo set (like the coaster or Troll Booth), or more promo cards through Warehouse 23 or just released with other things that have their own cards (like the Kill O Meter had a Quest Card). I've noticed not everyone on the forums is as into Quest as the other sets, and I honestly think that could change if there was more for people to collect and latch onto. It's a really fun set, and I would love to see it expanded on. I really just think it didn't catch at first and has been allowed to stagnate, so others don't want to try it since other newer sets are coming out with no updates to it.

Or of course, another expansion :)
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
Blazinjsin

I realize it may fall under card ideas that you already have in the works, but the first thing that comes to mind would be some monsters that made use of the portals since there were no monsters in the Portal Kombat set
Old 11-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I'm not looking for card/set ideas, just ways to promote the materials we already have. We know what sets we're interested in doing next, but we need to see that there's enough sales potential to make that work worthwhile.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
Blazinjsin

Again, I can only speak for myself here, but I think putting Quest cards in the W23 booster was a great start. Perhaps some more promos that could be given away from W23 orders. I really think some additional promos and/or a new set/booster would grab some more attention. It's been so neglected for the last year or so I think alot of people have written it off. The trick is going to be getting people interested in trying it again so they realize just how fun it is. Maybe more demos at conventions?

I don't know how often the MIB demo it, but I know there have been no MIB within 2 states of me in a long time.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
Dr. Mauric

I'm very happy with the W23 booster having Munchkin Quest cards. Simple stuff like that always rekindles my enthusiasm for the game. I would love to see more promos like the Troll Booth for example.

What about an official publication of some quick play rules? Or an official way to "shorten" the game? That might help with the bad rap MQ has gotten for being too long.

What about some downloadable rooms with rules to incorporate them randomly into the game. (I realize they wouldn't fit to the real rooms)

Or maybe a promo pawn/card set that introduces a new race or class. The pawn could be a new/different sculpt

Last edited by Dr. Mauric; 11-16-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: had another idea
Dr. Mauric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
PK

(Writing this reply as a MIB and only a MIB.)

There was talk of a slimmed-down set of "Gauntlet" rules that could be used to demo MQ in a matter of minutes instead of a matter of hours. Since quite a bit of promotion comes from MIBs (or other, similarly dedicated players) demoing games, it might make a big difference if they had a way to make MQ demo- and con-friendly.

As a bonus, it sounded like these rules could also be used to run a shorter game, which means MQ might be a more attractive option for gamers to pull out without feeling like they were committing their entire night to a single session.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
MIB 9966

As the Northeast Regional Director, I know we have several MIBs near MD, DC, and VA, and a current check shows 6 people, 4 MIBs in MD and one in DC.

Are there specific conventions or stores that our presence would help at?

Back on topic, I've been looking forward to a Gauntlet release myself. Interest has slowed down considerably because of the long play time at local conventions, and a shorter demo-friendly set of rules to fit a 2 hour slot (or where we can run people continuously through for a period of time) I think would help greatly. Might even help sales if people see a game time closer to the card game's.
MIB 9966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
Dr. Mauric

A couple more ideas:

A Monthly Rule- Updated monthly, like the Silver piece rule.
This rule could be something like the Dungeon cards in regular Munchkin - it effects the whole game. You could even call each rule "The Dungeon of..." and that's the dungeon the munchkins are exploring for that game. Effects could include a bonus for a particular race or class. Or an advantage for a particular monster type (
- 1 extra die for all Trollkin for example,
- or Thieves can re-roll any die once per game
- or game ends if a particular room is put in play and whoever has the most gold coins wins)
- Or you could draw from the House Rules thread for ideas.

or a Design a Room or Name a Room contest- contests are fun and get people to check in regularly to see if some cool developes. (Like the card contest a while back for regular Munchkin or the recent Silver piece contest).

and like I said in the previous post, (if I may expand on that), promo cards/coasters/rooms are awesome because simple stuff like that gets me playing, and the more I'm playing the more I'd be interested in buying something new or something I didn't have.

- BTW I don't need an official response to my ideas, I'm just tossing them out there because I like the game and would like to see it get promoted.
Dr. Mauric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
(Writing this reply as a MIB and only a MIB.)

There was talk of a slimmed-down set of "Gauntlet" rules that could be used to demo MQ in a matter of minutes instead of a matter of hours. Since quite a bit of promotion comes from MIBs (or other, similarly dedicated players) demoing games, it might make a big difference if they had a way to make MQ demo- and con-friendly.

As a bonus, it sounded like these rules could also be used to run a shorter game, which means MQ might be a more attractive option for gamers to pull out without feeling like they were committing their entire night to a single session.
This right here would go a long way toward making ME pick the game up, anyway. The main thing keeping me from getting this game (which I really like the IDEA of) are the reports of how incredibly LONG a game takes. The price is a factor as well (I'd agree that it is reasonable for what you get, but rather pricey for a game that I'm not sure I would play very often), but length is the main one for me.

If I got wind that there was a real, well-considered "faster play" version of the rules for this, and heard people singing its praises (like I did for the "faster play" rules for the card game, before I ever tried them), suddenly this would become a lot more attractive. It would have to be something that was designed for a real game, not just a way of bombing through the thing quickly for demonstration purposes, and balance be damned. Don't know if such a thing is plausible, but if so, reducing the "this game takes FOREVER" stigma would go a loooong way to promote it to ME, anyway.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote