Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-31-2021, 12:29 PM   #11
Shostak

Default Re: New Old Timer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_IN View Post
You know. Back in the day, TFT had a small but extremely loyal following.
Somewhere I read (perhaps in Shannon Applecline's Designers & Dragons?) that, for a brief time, TFT was one of the two or three most popular systems.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 12:38 PM   #12
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Somewhere I read (perhaps in Shannon Applecline's Designers & Dragons?) that, for a brief time, TFT was one of the two or three most popular systems.
I don't think that TFT ever overtook D&D but I believe that ranking to be accurate. I used to come across lots of people in the early 80's that played it. My hometown was North of Evansville. They had a gaming shop that had a guy that beta tested Steve Jackson games. If I remember correctly, his name was Guy McClamore (spelling?). So, they had many Steve Jackson games. That business doesn't exist anymore.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 03:16 AM   #13
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
I don't think that TFT ever overtook D&D but I believe that ranking to be accurate. I used to come across lots of people in the early 80's that played it. My hometown was North of Evansville. They had a gaming shop that had a guy that beta tested Steve Jackson games. If I remember correctly, his name was Guy McClamore (spelling?). So, they had many Steve Jackson games. That business doesn't exist anymore.
Wait - THE Guy McLimore who wrote Grail Quest (aka Microgame3)? And was later line editor of TFT? He's a bit of a hero around here, so you were in good company indeed! Grail Quest is still my favorite of all the TFT solo adventures.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:50 AM   #14
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
Wait - THE Guy McLimore who wrote Grail Quest (aka Microgame3)? And was later line editor of TFT? He's a bit of a hero around here, so you were in good company indeed! Grail Quest is still my favorite of all the TFT solo adventures.
Possibly. You would have to verify that he was in Evansville, IN in the early 80's.

He was very heavy fellow with long hair. I would guesstimate him to now be in his early 60's.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:15 AM   #15
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
Quote:
Possibly. You would have to verify that he was in Evansville, IN in the early 80's.

He was very heavy fellow with long hair. I would guesstimate him to now be in his early 60's.
I just did some searching. Yes, this is the same Guy McLimore. Thanks for providing the proper spelling. He was great at giving GM tips for TFT and always had other games of interest based upon gamer preference. The info said that he is now age 67. I saw his photo at CouchGuy.tumblr.com.

He was heavy into the Steve Jackson games and was always testing new games and working with local gamers for experimental game sessions. I didn't realize that he was considered to be one of the TFT game designers.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:40 PM   #16
bookworm562

Good to see some old timers like myself, congratulations on retirement!

It's the same game, but I think slightly better. A lot of the obnoxious crunchy stuff has been addressed. But the basic structure and foundation of the system is profoundly sound, so it still plays as fabulously.

The physical quality of the game materials are really enjoyable, too.

I give copies of ITL away to some of the lads at the local gaming club. Always a hit. Good luck!
bookworm562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:06 AM   #17
Skipper2921

Hi Bill,

I am near Evansville. ABC Hobby Craft on Morgan Avenue. Yes, Guy worked there. He introduced me to the Melee in 1978. I still remember the conversation and talking about Grail Quest when it came out. He left "the hobby shop" in 1980 or so and all the games left with him. That is when I lost touch with gaming. I, like you, didn't realize he was so influential until I picked up the game during the pandemic.

ABC Hobby Craft is still there, well next door anyway, but it is mostly model railroading.
Skipper2921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:48 AM   #18
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm562 View Post
Good to see some old timers like myself, congratulations on retirement!

It's the same game, but I think slightly better. A lot of the obnoxious crunchy stuff has been addressed. But the basic structure and foundation of the system is profoundly sound, so it still plays as fabulously.

The physical quality of the game materials are really enjoyable, too.

I give copies of ITL away to some of the lads at the local gaming club. Always a hit. Good luck!
Thanks. As I re-familiarize myself with the game, I'm getting the same vibe.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:55 AM   #19
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper2921 View Post
Hi Bill,

I am near Evansville. ABC Hobby Craft on Morgan Avenue. Yes, Guy worked there. He introduced me to the Melee in 1978. I still remember the conversation and talking about Grail Quest when it came out. He left "the hobby shop" in 1980 or so and all the games left with him. That is when I lost touch with gaming. I, like you, didn't realize he was so influential until I picked up the game during the pandemic.

ABC Hobby Craft is still there, well next door anyway, but it is mostly model railroading.
I was in the current ABC Hobby Craft last summer and they are mostly into trains, RC cars, and drones with some gaming accessories.

I didn't realize that it was the same name as years ago. The original was a house that was converted to a store and it was a little further east on Morgan Avenue on the opposite side of the road.

I believe that they were operating until about 1983 or so.

I knew that Guy McLimore was a gaming guru at that time but, like you, was surprised to find out about his legend status in this forum. I guess that if you hang around long enough and stay involved it can happen to anyone, LOL.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:18 AM   #20
DarkPumpkin

Mr McLimore has an account on this forum and might just chip in himself if someone were to draw his attention to the thread. He was more involved during the early days of the Legacy Edition relaunch and may have dropped off the TFT scene (again!) subsequently.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote