Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2020, 04:51 PM   #1
YankeeGamer

Default Space Ships question regarding total life support

If I put total life support into a ship, it halves the number of cabins. Do establishments, minifactories, offices, etc, also pay the same price? They don't add to the number of people aboard. (Pyramid 3/34 states that these facilities don't gt the extra room that not having life support systems provides.)

I couldn't find anything either way.

I'm redoing USS Enterprise--the enormous ice crawler--now that I have that magazine issue.

THANKS
YankeeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:00 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Space Ships question regarding total life support

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeGamer View Post
If I put total life support into a ship, it halves the number of cabins. Do establishments, minifactories, offices, etc, also pay the same price?
Hm. It looks like as written the answer is yes (they all replace cabin counts, and total life support reduces cabin count), but it should probably actually be no.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:08 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Total life support doubles the size of accommodations (Spaceships, p. 17). Accommodations are defined on the same page as cabins, cells, and bunkrooms, so the doubling for total life support does not apply to specialized rooms or steerage cargo.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:46 PM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
they all replace cabin counts, and total life support reduces cabin count
Total Life Support doesn't change "cabin count", it doubles the space required for accommodations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Total life support doubles the size of accommodations (Spaceships, p. 17). Accommodations are defined on the same page as cabins, cells, and bunkrooms, so the doubling for total life support does not apply to specialized rooms or steerage cargo.
AlexanderHowel is correct here. Cabins, Cells, and Bunkrooms ("accommodations") take up twice as many cabin "slots" while specialized rooms and steerage cargo do not.

An unfortunate part of the rules here are that "cabins" is used as a label for two different things:
1) the number of slots a Habitat has available to install rooms
2) a room used as living quarters

I usually refer to the first as "Cabin Slots" or just "slots" to differentiate them from the living quarters meaning of the label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeGamer View Post
(Pyramid 3/34 states that these facilities don't gt the extra room that not having life support systems provides.)
That article specifically calls out Minifacs, Steerage Cargo, and Transporters as taking up more space. Basically, rooms that people occupy get the space-saving benefits from having No Life Support while rooms which are mostly machinery or unoccupied cargo space do not. The reasoning there is pretty simple: you can't cram more machinery or cargo into those because they don't contain life support machinery to remove. OTOH, you can get more seats in a restaurant or more desks in an office by removing the life support machinery.

This rule is completely separate from the rules for accommodations from the Habitat rules in Spaceships 1. And, yes, this does create a weird hodge-podge way of handling habitats. I'd rewrite the entire section if I were put in charge of making a Spaceships 2nd Edition.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 01-16-2020 at 06:04 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #5
YankeeGamer

Thanks all. That's what I thought--no extra space needed for establishments and the like. With the number of non-accomodation spaces in the 300,000 ton Enterprise, it's going to be a noticeable difference.

(When Enterprise is finished, I'll post her)
YankeeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spaceships