Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-05-2018, 07:27 AM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default ST-based Telekinesis? Healing that costs LFP?

Hey, all.

I've got two questions.

Is ST-based Telekinesis something that should be allowed? How much should it cost? I was imagining Telekinesis (ST-Based) [50] since that covers ST 10, which is the GURPSian average. I figured that if attacks can be ST-based, why not Telekinesis? I was also thinking of adding the drawback that the Telekinesis counts against your encumbrance somehow since that seems aligned with it being based off of one's ST, but maybe that could be a new limitation for TK in general.

How should one figure Healing that costs LFP instead of FP? I was thinking of this as a potential replacement for the cumulative -3 to the IQ roll because it also severely limits how much healing can be done. Likewise, is there a modifier for giving the FP cost to the target as opposed to the user, or would that just be a switch? I'm imagining a Healing power that just speeds up the natural metabolism of the target, leaving them hungry and tired and strained, limiting the amount of healing they can receive.

Thanks!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: ST-based Telekinesis? Healing that costs LFP?

How do you see this ST-based TK working? The original modifier is meant not just for Innate Attacks, but strictly Melee Attacks. It's a powered punch or melee weapon.

If the character isn't actually making contact with their physical ST, then I don't see why the TK and ST would add together. If the character has to mime punching for a "dim mak" effect, then put "Gestures" on the TK.

If the TK is supposed to be enhancing the character's physical punches, then wouldn't it be simpler to buy Striking ST with a "Psi" power modifier and make that an AA of the TK (assuming the TK has any other use for this character)?

TK's good for things other than damage. Adventurers tend to be fond of being able to manipulate objects without the risk of actually touching them, and also reaching things they can't normally reach, like those jail cell keys that are forever hanging on the wall just out of reach in Westerns. Is the character a "normal" teke, and you're looking for a way to also enhance his melee damage? Or are you looking for a conceptual fluff reason to have really powerful blows?
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
starslayer

Instead of St based tk, add ranged to your existing st (effectively making it tk)
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #4
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
How do you see this ST-based TK working? The original modifier is meant not just for Innate Attacks, but strictly Melee Attacks. It's a powered punch or melee weapon.

If the character isn't actually making contact with their physical ST, then I don't see why the TK and ST would add together. If the character has to mime punching for a "dim mak" effect, then put "Gestures" on the TK.

If the TK is supposed to be enhancing the character's physical punches, then wouldn't it be simpler to buy Striking ST with a "Psi" power modifier and make that an AA of the TK (assuming the TK has any other use for this character)?

TK's good for things other than damage. Adventurers tend to be fond of being able to manipulate objects without the risk of actually touching them, and also reaching things they can't normally reach, like those jail cell keys that are forever hanging on the wall just out of reach in Westerns. Is the character a "normal" teke, and you're looking for a way to also enhance his melee damage? Or are you looking for a conceptual fluff reason to have really powerful blows?
Yeah, I imagined this an a psychic projection of one's ST. It seemed like a good option to have. And I don't mean literally porting over the enhancement, but some other way to have the ST of TK based off of the ST of the character. Why couldn't it be based off of innate ST? If attacks can be, why not this? It gives more value to ST. And, while I know it's an article, Pyramid #3/65's Natural Weapons gives way more options for ST-based attacks, including being able to make them ranged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Instead of St based tk, add ranged to your existing st (effectively making it tk)
That's actually a pretty decent way of going about this. For the average ST 10 person, that's 40 points. This sounds like my Telekinesis (ST-Based) (Counts as personal encumbrance, -20%) [40]. However, the nice thing about doing it through TK—in my opinion—is that you can easily add more levels on top of it. ST (Ranged, +40%) [14] makes sense, but I don't know how to figure ST (Ranged Only, -X%) [??].
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
How should one figure Healing that costs LFP instead of FP? I was thinking of this as a potential replacement for the cumulative -3 to the IQ roll because it also severely limits how much healing can be done. Likewise, is there a modifier for giving the FP cost to the target as opposed to the user, or would that just be a switch? I'm imagining a Healing power that just speeds up the natural metabolism of the target, leaving them hungry and tired and strained, limiting the amount of healing they can receive.
I would price Costs LFP alone on Healing at -25%; the rationale being that “generic LFP” as a Hazard is worth about a +50% enhancement, and about half that value as a limitation seems appropriate when modifying the “inherent” Costs FP limitation on Healing.

Swapping the cumulative penalty for Costs LFP seems about fair for a +0% modifier; normally removing the cumulative penalty is a Cosmic, +50%, but swapping it out for something approximately equally limiting seems very fair.

Healing that costs the target FP I have fairly priced using Based on (Different Attribute) — in this case, Based on FP, Subject's Score, +20%. It only works if the subject is willing — if you can use it maledictively, buy a linked Innate Attack!

Combining Costs LFP with Based on Subject's FP, I would make it a separate +20% enhancement — Based on LFP, Subject's Score, +20% — and require the (again separate) Cosmic, +50% if you want to waive the cumulative penalty as well.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
healing, lfp, st-based, strength, telekinesis