Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #71
whswhs

Default Re: What's your advice on how to hand out experience points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
An extra point for showing up on time.
That's something I've never tried, and one or two of my players could use the encouragement! On the other hand, I'm not sure they'd take it well.

I kind of dislike using eeps as a device for controlling the behavior of other people in the real world; for one thing, it suggests expecting those people to be motivating seriously to seek them as a reward, rather than participating in them as a ritual. I'm not sure I want eeps taken that seriously.

But I do have one player who seems to think that "the game starts at 1" means "you have to be out of your apartment and walking to your car by 1". . . .

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #72
adm

Giving points for showing up on time should depend on why they are late, if it is family, work/school or something similar it is a bad idea that can cause acrimony for people that cannot show up on time.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #73
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Giving points for showing up on time should depend on why they are late, if it is family, work/school or something similar it is a bad idea that can cause acrimony for people that cannot show up on time.
I don't give eeps to people who simply don't show up at all for one of those reasons; they miss the game, they earn no eeps. I can see that this case might be different, but I'm not exactly sure why it might be different. It's kind of academic for me anyway, because I'm not planning to do it, but it's a bit of a puzzle.

If a player can give me a couple of weeks' notice, I'll look to see if there's a way to reschedule so they can attend, without anyone else being excluded.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #74
Grouchy Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
An extra point for showing up on time.
If they show up on time, I give my players a chit good for one re-roll, usable during that session only. It works pretty well.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #75
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Chris View Post
If they show up on time, I give my players a chit good for one re-roll, usable during that session only. It works pretty well.
The points I give out are character points and points to spend to influence rolls. When you spend a point on a roll, you're also spending it as a character point in an appropriate ability.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:10 AM   #76
Rupert

My current campaign uses a flat 3XP per session per PC. Previously I was awarding only 1XP to a PC who's player didn't make the session, or none if that PC didn't make an appearance at all that session, but ditched that after I lost my past session notes, because I discovered it made auditing the PCs next to impossible without those notes.

The campaign has been running for over six years now, and over two hundred sessions, and if I'd known that it was going to have such long legs I'd have gone with a smaller XP award (I don't use the rules for spending XP in play on adjusting dice rolls, etc. - they are solely for purchasing skills and ads, or buying off disads).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #77
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
When I GM, my players can usually Fast-Talk me out of docking points for tardiness. The rules are flexible. They have to be.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:20 AM   #78
The Benj

I'm happy to treat people as on time if they have a good reason for not being literally so. Especially if they tell me before they arrive, rather than showing up two hours late without a word.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:51 AM   #79
Nefandi

I believe that it is important to provide proper and individual reward to players. So if a player did roleplay better and brings more to the session he/she should receive more XP.

However, I do not give more for the person acting skills as a character. The main thing is, no cellphones in my sessions, talks in character or not out of character e.g. "GM - I ask her to open the door for me" as oppose to "Miss, could you please open the door so we can talk?". The other thing is remembering and roleplaying their disadvantages.

In practice I give around 3 XP per session, fluctuating from 2.5 to 3.5, and YES I do give halves for participation, roleplaying and keeping notes.
Nefandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #80
NineDaysDead
Banned

1 Character point per £1 or $1 works out very nicely for the GM!
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote