Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #11
LokRobster

Default Re: Tell me why a GURPS guy should get TFT

very cool responses, ya'll, thanks!

I've got 45 minutes to decide my level of 'jump in' :)
Old 08-24-2018, 04:13 PM   #12
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
very cool responses, ya'll, thanks!

I've got 45 minutes to decide my level of 'jump in' :)
Well? What'd you decide?
ak_aramis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:27 PM   #13
Refplace

Posted to late, hope you got it.
TFT is tactical vs. GURPS strategic is a good way to think of it. I wont be switching but I can find TFT players (Or train them) easier than GURPS players.
So TFT is more portable and gameable because its so simple, less intimidating and fun. Then I will find it easier to switch them to GURPS, for campaigns.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:28 PM   #14
LokRobster

I actually decided to stick w/ my GURPS... :/
I'm almost embarrassed to admit !

But - I know it so well that I can make it simpler if I want. I can throw in six-guns every time I get the urge to cross-genre. I don't really have any player audience that I would hesitate to push DFRPG on for fantasy, or go straight historic.

The main deciding factor was my house. Storage space. How much do I play what I have sitting here already, and do I want to add to a stack that hasn't been touched for a while?

So, focus on what I have and love, and I wish ya'll well on what you love! I'd be sure to join a game if someone GM'd nearby lol

one last bit of weirdness. I've been an SJ fan since '86 and Car Wars Dueltrack. and Then GURPS since '90ish. BEFORE 2017 I HAD NEVER HEARD OF THE FANTASY TRIP. Not sure how I missed it, but there it is: a giant gaping hole in my conscious game history.

but now I know :)

I am glad everyone here loves it and has fun with it. :)
Old 08-24-2018, 06:41 PM   #15
CON_Troll

I like GURPS. Don't ask me how many supplements I've bought over the years. I lost count a long time ago.
But TFT was the first RPG I could play that I actually understood! D&D baffled me in my early teens.

Also, "The Fantasy Trip" sounds totally bad-ass. While "GURPS" sounds like something you say just before asking everyone to excuse you in an embarrassed voice.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:06 PM   #16
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post

one last bit of weirdness. I've been an SJ fan since '86 and Car Wars Dueltrack. and Then GURPS since '90ish. BEFORE 2017 I HAD NEVER HEARD OF THE FANTASY TRIP. Not sure how I missed it, but there it is: a giant gaping hole in my conscious game history.
Steve wrote it while working for a company that I think went under before 86.
So its a part of his history but not SJG, until now.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:43 PM   #17
DarkPumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON_Troll View Post
Also, "The Fantasy Trip" sounds totally bad-ass.
I love how the name is a reminder of 70s pop/counter-culture. As in, what a trip, man! Not dated, just cool...
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:12 AM   #18
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Steve wrote it while working for a company that I think went under before 86.
"Metagaming Concepts", publisher of a popular series of "Microgames". Those came in a little cardboard box smaller than a paperback. Relatively simple games, small map (four or maybe eight times the size of that box), low price -- but a lot of fun. I remember Warp War, Chitin I, Sticks and Stones, Helltank/Helltank Destroyer, and Trailblazer (which I used as an economic system for Starfire). And famously, that was also the original format for Ogre/GEV, Melee, and Wizard. Metagaming published the Advanced Melee, Wizard, and TFT books as well, as well as some TFT adventures in the microgames boxed formats.

SJG got started in 1980, also publishing games in a similar size and format. I think Car Wars was only ever an SJG release, and they kept the rights to Ogre / GEV, so SJG released a version of those games as well.

Metagaming closed up in 1983, I think.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:40 PM   #19
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
"Metagaming Concepts", publisher of a popular series of "Microgames". Those came in a little cardboard box smaller than a paperback. Relatively simple games, small map (four or maybe eight times the size of that box), low price -- but a lot of fun. I remember Warp War, Chitin I, Sticks and Stones, Helltank/Helltank Destroyer, and Trailblazer (which I used as an economic system for Starfire). And famously, that was also the original format for Ogre/GEV, Melee, and Wizard. Metagaming published the Advanced Melee, Wizard, and TFT books as well, as well as some TFT adventures in the microgames boxed formats.

SJG got started in 1980, also publishing games in a similar size and format. I think Car Wars was only ever an SJG release, and they kept the rights to Ogre / GEV, so SJG released a version of those games as well.

Metagaming closed up in 1983, I think.
The first ones I bought came in plastic bags with a flap and a piece of tape!

The cardboard boxes were fancier and much later...
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:49 PM   #20
Buzzardo

My board game group will never play GURPS. They might play TFT, because I can pitch it as a board game (especially if I start with arena combat and play up the Roman Colosseum angle). From there, I might actually get them into light role playing (fingers crossed).

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote