Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #1
CreakyCroaky

Default Metric system in TFT?

Which system is TFT using - metric or imperial? (Just looking for confirmation before reporting "errors" in the pdfs.)
CreakyCroaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Metric system in TFT?

I'm sure it is English; there are three references to metric distances/areas in ITL, but as far as I can see that's it; no metric weights, etc. I suspect they are just left over from the original draft and will be edited out before printing.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #3
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

That is correct. We are trying to catch and remove all the metric references. I made trouble for myself by using the nonstandard abbreviation KILO in a few places, too.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #4
larsdangly

Indeed, someone else found some metric weights (Sha Ken, etc.). Hard to track them all down!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
Terquem

I think there is supposed to be a real separation from the units of weight and measure used in the rules, and those that are used in the settings

I'm sure in the game setting you choose the weights and measures can be whatever you want them to be. The rules need to be standardized to try and avoid contradictions or confusion.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:14 AM   #6
Shadekeep

I would imagine folks who speak the Common Tongue also use a common system of measurements as part of that. But given the generally medieval setting, there is probably a proliferation of arbitrary and specific measurements. Not that this has to have a direct impact on gameplay, but it can be useful for atmosphere to employ terms like drams, cubits, and furlongs.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:57 PM   #7
Shadekeep

Has anyone pointed out that the Cidric measurement system is actually hexic? The standard unit of measure isn't a foot or metre, it's a hex. One presumes that instead of two-axial planar geometry (X/Y), they defaulted on this world to a three-axial system (X/Y/Q). Why else would all their survey maps be on hexagonal grids? ^_~

And from this follows that the Mnoren evolved from bees...
Old 10-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #8
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Has anyone pointed out that the Cidric measurement system is actually hexic? The standard unit of measure isn't a foot or metre, it's a hex. One presumes that instead of two-axial planar geometry (X/Y), they defaulted on this world to a three-axial system (X/Y/Q). Why else would all their survey maps be on hexagonal grids? ^_~

And from this follows that the Mnoren evolved from bees...
That means there are twelve "hexes" on the planet that are not hexagonal but pentagonal...

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:10 PM   #9
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
I think there is supposed to be a real separation from the units of weight and measure used in the rules, and those that are used in the settings

I'm sure in the game setting you choose the weights and measures can be whatever you want them to be. The rules need to be standardized to try and avoid contradictions or confusion.
This is a good point. And even though the money part got split off, it applies equally to money, and I'm going to quote it over there as well.

A yard is "close enough" to a meter, and a kilogram "close enough" to two pounds, and a mile "close enough" to 1600 meters, that I can and do use them as equivalents for game purposes in other games. No reason I can't do the same here.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #10
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
That means there are twelve "hexes" on the planet that are not hexagonal but pentagonal...
Thus spake Euler, so mote it be...