Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
Phantasm

Default How do Cancellation, Persistent, and Extended Duration interact in an Affliction?

I'm hammering out an ability, but I'm not sure I'm understanding how things interact properly.

I've got an Affliction (Advantage: Shrinking 10; Accessibility: Not On Living Beings; Melee Attack: Reach C) that I want to have last indefinitely until I cancel it.

Extended Duration says it needs Persistent, and can go to "Permanent (until a dispelling condition is met)" or "truly Permanent". Then there's Cancellation from Psionic Powers which says that you can cancel the ability at will before it wears off on its own.

Is it legal to declare "I will it so" as the dispelling condition, or better to take Extended Duration (Permanent) + Cancellation on this?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #2
thulben

Default Re: How do Cancellation, Persistent, and Extended Duration interact in an Affliction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
I'm hammering out an ability, but I'm not sure I'm understanding how things interact properly.

I've got an Affliction (Advantage: Shrinking 10; Accessibility: Not On Living Beings; Melee Attack: Reach C) that I want to have last indefinitely until I cancel it.

Extended Duration says it needs Persistent, and can go to "Permanent (until a dispelling condition is met)" or "truly Permanent". Then there's Cancellation from Psionic Powers which says that you can cancel the ability at will before it wears off on its own.

Is it legal to declare "I will it so" as the dispelling condition, or better to take Extended Duration (Permanent) + Cancellation on this?
I'd rule that what you're looking to do is "Effectively Permanent" (i.e. the +300% version). That is, the +150% version should allow for some phenomenon outside of the Advantage wielder's control (e.g. "the kiss of True Love") for the attack to expire.
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:27 AM   #3
Nereidalbel

Default Re: How do Cancellation, Persistent, and Extended Duration interact in an Affliction?

If you want to use the +150% version of Permanent, I would require the Cancellation being a specific phrase. Thus, if you can be made to say the words through any means, including mind control, the effect ends. For you to simply will the effect off would be +300%.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
PK

There are two separate and unrelated issues here.

1. Can other people turn off your Affliction via some means without resorting to Neutralize or similar superpowers?

If the answer is yes, then you take the +150% version of Extended Duration, Permanent. If no, then you take the +300% version.

2. Can you turn off your own Affliction before its duration expires?

If the answer is yes, then you add Cancellation (+10%).

So it sounds here like you'd have both Extended Duration, +300%, and Cancellation, +10%.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:24 PM   #5
Phantasm

Thanks, PK, that's what I thought but I wanted to be sure.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancellation, persistent