Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #71
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
If Bob is on a bike (or driving a car) does Bob and the Bike/Car roll seperately, or does Bob as the user roll for the pair? Usually equipment (unless I have drastically confused myself on the nature of GURPS rules, which is a real possibility) just relies on the user, but, could certainly see amusement potential of a Slowed car and full speed user, or vice versa.
If the ritual is affecting the car/bike I'd say that the car/bike rolls - not the driver. Now, for something you are carrying or holding I'd say that you get to roll to resist the spell, not the item/object.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 08-16-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #72
Lia Valenth

Here are some I created as tests,

Sphere of Apparent Invulnerability
Spell Effects: Greater Create Crossroads + Lesser Control Crossroads + Lesser Transform Crossroads + Lesser Sense Matter.
Inherent Modifiers: Area Of Effect + Duration + Speed.
Greater Effects: 1 (×3).

This spell causes small, 3 inch diameter gates to appear 1 yard in any direction from you and exit 1 yard on the opposite side of you. As long as it lasts, these gates appear whenever a physical object smaller than 3 inches would otherwise enter the sphere, having them exit out the other side. The spell can create a number of portals per round equal to the margin of success when cast. In combat this can be used to block arrows and most ranged attacks, although siege weapons and non-physical attacks will get through. It also works as a very effective insect repellant.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Lesser Control Crossroads (5) + Lesser Transform Crossroads (8) + Lesser Sense Matter (2) Area Of Effect, 2 yards (0) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Speed, 2 yds/second (0). 66 energy (22×3).

Clean the Mess
Spell Effects: Lesser Destroy Body + Lesser Destroy Matter.
Inherent Modifiers: None.
Greater Effects: 0 (×1).

This ritual utterly eradicates any “mess” in the area, both biological and inert. This is extremely useful for keeping your house clean, or cleaning a crime scene making any attempt to find clues with mundane means useless.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Body (5) + Lesser Destroy Matter (5) + Area Of Effect, 5 yards (4) + Subject Weight, 30 lbs. (1). 15 energy (15×1).
Old 08-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #73
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia Valenth View Post
Here are some I created as tests,

Spell Effects: Greater Create Crossroads + Lesser Control Crossroads + Lesser Transform Crossroads + Lesser Sense Matter.
Inherent Modifiers: Area Of Effect + Duration + Speed.
Greater Effects: 1 (×3).

This spell causes small, 3 inch diameter gates to appear 1 yard in any direction from you and exit 1 yard on the opposite side of you. As long as it lasts, these gates appear whenever a physical object smaller than 3 inches would otherwise enter the sphere, having them exit out the other side. The spell can create a number of portals per round equal to the margin of success when cast. In combat this can be used to block arrows and most ranged attacks, although siege weapons and non-physical attacks will get through. It also works as a very effective insect repellant.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Lesser Control Crossroads (5) + Lesser Transform Crossroads (8) + Lesser Sense Matter (2) Area Of Effect, 2 yards (0) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Speed, 2 yds/second (0). 66 energy (22×3).
Uhhh. You need some sort of Path skill for this to balanced. You're interposing a gate in front of you for a attack. See "Redirect Attack" from my blog for something similiar.

Quote:
Clean the Mess
Spell Effects: Lesser Destroy Body + Lesser Destroy Matter.
Inherent Modifiers: None.
Greater Effects: 0 (×1).

This ritual utterly eradicates any “mess” in the area, both biological and inert. This is extremely useful for keeping your house clean, or cleaning a crime scene making any attempt to find clues with mundane means useless.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Body (5) + Lesser Destroy Matter (5) + Area Of Effect, 5 yards (4) + Subject Weight, 30 lbs. (1). 15 energy (15×1).
Interesting, but you don't need a the Body effect - that's for living things. Shed "biological matter" is affected by Path of Matter. For example, to effect a apple tree you need Path of Body, but to affect a plucked apple you need Path of Matter - it has "stopped" growing and is thus no longer alive. Add a Lesser Sense Matter effect to eliminate all matter but a specifictype, add a Greater Sense Matter effect to eliminate all matter but a specific type (e.g., only one set of fingerprints is eliminated - all the rest stay the where they are).

Become a Patron!
Old 08-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #74
Kalzazz

I would think that an apple (or a dragon egg) would count as body even once seperated from the tree (or mother dragon), its a living thingy in its potential state. Blood splatters however not so much. Unless there troll blood.

Also I don't follow "Add a Lesser Sense Matter effect to eliminate all matter but a specifictype, add a Greater Sense Matter effect to eliminate all matter but a specific type (e.g., only one set of fingerprints is eliminated - all the rest stay the where they are). "

Can you re explain please? I see two instances of 'but a specific type' and don't quite follow
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:59 PM   #75
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Can you re explain please? I see two instances of 'but a specific type' and don't quite follow
Sure.

Quote:
I would think that an apple (or a dragon egg) would count as body even once seperated from the tree (or mother dragon), its a living thingy in its potential state. Blood splatters however not so much. Unless there troll blood.
The apple doesn't count because it's not growing anymore, it's more or less inert when you pluck it. If you check under "Create Matter" it calls out food - a apple is food. You could grow a apple tree to get your apples using Strengthen Body to germinate the seed into a full on plant. Eggs are a bit tricky. First, is it fertilized - that is does it have a embryo that's growing inside? If not than it's probably Path of Matter because a egg that isn't dividing its cells to become a chicken or dragon or whatever is just a big ol ball of biological goo (that's a technical term). It might get further muddle for certain kinds of egg dishes (Mmmm balut), but the typical rule is if it's a alive use Path of Body. If it's undead it's probably Path of Undead. If it's a spirit being that has never been alive it's Path of Spirit. If it's matter (even once-living matter) it's probably Path of Matter.

Quote:
Also I don't follow "Add a Lesser Sense Matter effect to eliminate all matter but a specifictype, add a Greater Sense Matter effect to eliminate all matter but a specific type (e.g., only one set of fingerprints is eliminated - all the rest stay the where they are). "
Alas, that's a dupe error. I'm cleansing my Chrome browser but it's taking time. It doesn't natively let you use all the shortcut functions for vBulletin so I have to go back and italics, bold, etc. by hand. To clarify: a Lesser Sense Matter effect might let you erase all the fingerprints in a area - but no other biological matter. A Greater effect would let you eliminate your fingerprints only leaving all others and making it seem as if you were never there.

Become a Patron!
Old 08-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #76
Kalzazz

I got to eat balut once, it was actually pretty cool, not the horror the internet had sometimes suggested.

Does explain the issue of apples and there place in the path spectrum, thank you!

That makes a lot more sense now, amazing what computer software being uncooperative can do to clarity!
Old 08-16-2014, 11:15 PM   #77
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I got to eat balut once, it was actually pretty cool, not the horror the internet had sometimes suggested.

Does explain the issue of apples and there place in the path spectrum, thank you!

That makes a lot more sense now, amazing what computer software being uncooperative can do to clarity!
My best friend is Filipino and his mom thinks I'm "not eating enough" so I get all kinds of stuff and well...I'm pretty adventurous - I've eaten all kinds of stuff most people would gag on. Glad I could help. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 08-16-2014, 11:48 PM   #78
Kalzazz

My former employer was an awesome guy who had a Filipino girlfriend, and who very often invited me to eat with them, so I got to eat a lot of Filipino food that way. Including balut.

What I really liked and would like to get more of is that salty golden fish sauce I can't remember the name of, it goes well on so many things
Old 08-17-2014, 05:57 AM   #79
Lia Valenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Uhhh. You need some sort of Path skill for this to balanced. You're interposing a gate in front of you for a attack. See "Redirect Attack" from my blog for something similiar.
Useful post for examples, will have to take a harder look at your blog.

After I posted it I realized something, it blocks (Margin of Success)/round from passing through the sphere with Lesser Sense Matter, would the spell be balanced if,
with Lesser Sense Matter it still blocks as normal, but it also activates if you attempt to shoot out, automatically hitting yourself with your physical ranged attacks and decreasing the number of attacks it will block.
With Greater Sense Matter it would work only on enemy attacks as it says above, but cost 110 Energy (22 x 5)

For the setting I plan it will work well as is, possibly be a bit too weak, but that is the nature of GURPS - what works well one game can be game breaking in another.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #80
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Useful post for examples, will have to take a harder look at your blog.
There is some good stuff there for RPM and other odds and ends (or so I'm told).

Quote:
After I posted it I realized something, it blocks (Margin of Success)/round from passing through the sphere with Lesser Sense Matter, would the spell be balanced if,
with Lesser Sense Matter it still blocks as normal, but it also activates if you attempt to shoot out, automatically hitting yourself with your physical ranged attacks and decreasing the number of attacks it will block.
With Greater Sense Matter it would work only on enemy attacks as it says above, but cost 110 Energy (22 x 5)
You don't normally add a effect to give yourself a drawback. That's like paying to hit yourself. That said, if I were going to write it up I'd do it as something like:

Spell Effects: Greater Control Crossroads + Greater Create Crossroads.
Inherent Modifiers: None
Greater Effects: 2 (×5).

This spell allows you to "guide" an ranged attack against you into a open wormhole which then spits it out harmlessly in another direction. Every time you are attacked, make a roll against (Path / 2 + 3). Success means you've "gated" the projectile away from you and you are unharmed. Failure means you didn't interpose the gate in time and critical failure results in the spell ending and you getting hit! For the purposes of a Active Defense this counts as a Dodge even though you are not actually moving. This spell cannot affect a projectile weighing more than 10 lbs.

Typical Casting: Greater Control Crossroads (5) + Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 60 energy (12×5).

Use Bestows a Bonus, Narrow category to increase your parrying skill and add Subject Weight if you want to affect siege weapons! Normally moving around a gate is a Lesser Control effect, but you're doing this in a split second with perfect precision - that screams a Greater Control effect to me. This is basically the ritual path magic version of a warp dodge except you're warping the projectile away instead of yourself. Another way to build it might be Enhanced Dodge (Limited, Ranged Projectiles, -40%) [9/level] using Altered Traits if the effect requires no effort and bullets whiz around you instead of hitting you.

Quote:
For the setting I plan it will work well as is, possibly be a bit too weak, but that is the nature of GURPS - what works well one game can be game breaking in another.
Actually, that's not the nature of GURPS - it's designed to work well in both settings as long as the base campaign assumptions are the same. Where it does get weird is when you bring a cinematic character to a realistic one and don't change a thing. And hey, if it works for you, then have at it - Rule Zero always applies.

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 08-17-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology