Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-15-2018, 07:50 PM   #21
Vaevictis Asmadi

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#50): Extended Lifespan, Longevity, Unaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Reverend Pee Kitty in his house rules calls them “flavor traits” and reduces their costs. There seems to be a general consensus that the RAW costs should only be used in a campaign where aging issues actually come up: foes with supernatural aging attacks, a mix of immortal and mortal PCs in a campaign with significant game-time passing. In campaigns where they won’t come up, they merit a 0-point feature.
RPK only reduces Unaging to 5 points, makes Terminally Ill a quirk, and halves the other point costs. But, I see people in this thread saying advantages like Unaging didn't even give enough benefit in play to be a perk. I usually trust RPK's judgment so I wonder why he gives them higher values. Maybe he's treating Unaging, for example, as an Unusual Background that comes with the assumption the character is already quite old?

But on a racial template, it shouldn't necessarily come with that assumption. It seems to me that a 60-year-old Elf with racial Unaging shouldn't get an Unusual Background for it.

That does make me wonder, though. At what age should a character have an Unusual Background because of how much historical knowledge, skill levels, etc. they have compared to normal mortals? 200 years? 300? 500? 1000?

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 11-15-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:19 PM   #22
Anthony

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#50): Extended Lifespan, Longevity, Unaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
That does make me wonder, though. At what age should a character have an Unusual Background because of how much historical knowledge, skill levels, etc. they have compared to normal mortals? 200 years? 300? 500? 1000?
Never; they should spend points on advantages, attributes, or skills that reflect said learning.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #23
Vaevictis Asmadi

That can be said about everything that Unusual Background unlocks, though. It's always an advantage that gives literally nothing, except permission to purchase other advantages or skills that aren't otherwise available.

If Alice has magic skills, but Bob and Carol choose not to, Alice merely spends points on magic skills. But if nobody else is allowed to have magic skills, RAW says Alice should also pay 10 to 50 points for Unusual Background -- on top of paying for the magic itself.

So if being 1000 years old comes with permission to break skill and attribute caps, take Wildcard Skills, and supernatural or exotic advantages or magic powers off-limits to other PCs, by RAW that would apparently require an Unusual Background.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 11-15-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #24
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
That can be said about everything that Unusual Background unlocks, though. It's always an advantage that gives literally nothing, except permission to purchase other advantages or skills that aren't otherwise available.
Not entirely true, though. Unusual Background is one of the wildcard advantages for "there's no advantage for this", the same way Divine Curse is for disadvantages. And one of the things you usually get with Unusual Background is an assurance in the campaign that these things are less common, and NPCs won't be expecting them so much.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #25
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Not entirely true, though. Unusual Background is one of the wildcard advantages for "there's no advantage for this", the same way Divine Curse is for disadvantages. And one of the things you usually get with Unusual Background is an assurance in the campaign that these things are less common, and NPCs won't be expecting them so much.
If you are using Unaging to justify having skills that ordinary people don't or can't have, that much seems to be equivalent to Reawakened, which costs 10 points, and is defined as a specialized Unusual Background. Perhaps the 5-point difference is what Immunity to Aging is worth.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:46 AM   #26
Andreas

Then there are of course the games which last a long enough in-game time to make those traits relevant. They can be very valuable there.

It generally makes sense to price advantages based on their utility in games which makes use of them. Players usually don't have to buy extended lifespan etc. if they don't think it will come up. There are plenty of other expensive traits that can be almost worthless. For example, combat traits are also massively overpriced in games which don't feature combat.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #27
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
It generally makes sense to price advantages based on their utility in games which makes use of them. Players usually don't have to buy extended lifespan etc. if they don't think it will come up. There are plenty of other expensive traits that can be almost worthless. For example, combat traits are also massively overpriced in games which don't feature combat.
Just as a note, my very first GURPS campaign, using the original edition of GURPS Uplift, had only two combat scenes in a two-year campaign. One was ship to ship, and the other was restrained a Tymbrimi crew member who had gone into gheer. Of course, I've run campaigns since then where combat was a lot more frequent!

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #28
Anthony

I like some variants on Unaging, such as:

Unaging (Ennui) [1]
Whenever you would be required to make an aging check, you are instead forced into a state of Ennui for a period of 3 months (thus, after age 90, Ennui is permanent); if you have extended lifespan, modify the length of Ennui as well. While suffering from Ennui, you are listless and bored; assume Improvement through Study is unavailable, as is productive labor beyond what is required for normal survival and lifestyle. You may spend 1 character point to break out of Ennui for 1 month (in one month, spending 4 hours/day in a part-time job and 8 hours/day in self-study, you would expect to gain 0.75 character points).

For +1 point, you may deliberately enter or exit Ennui; this takes a day and a Will check. During a period of voluntary Ennui, you do not age. This has no effect on forced Ennui.

For +1 point, you may choose to forget a point in a skill or sacrifice a point of social advantages to break free of Ennui, instead of spending earned character points.

Tags
advantage of the week, extended lifespan, longevity, unaging, week, [basic]