Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-10-2019, 07:24 PM   #61
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Default Re: Minor League Supers [Powers/Supers]

Super-Guy is a 16 year old high school student. He's captain of the chess club and the RPG club. He doesn't get as much physical abuse as most nerd-type persons as he has ST 15, DR 15, Enhanced Time Sense, Flying, and Heat Vision (2d burning attack). He also honestly believes he has a secret identity (Delusion) and tries to make lame excuses to change into his "super-costume" (A cowl and cape made from his baby blankets) and "save the day" (which he does accomplish sometimes).
Old 07-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #62
martinl

Bad Hare Day can summon angry rabbit like critters that obey his mental commands. Unfortunately he can only summon 1/rnd, is limited to 10 total, and they are no more capable than natural hares. Has "General Woundwort" as an (even more pathetic) archenemy - GW can summon 1 large black rabbit that is almost as tough as a guard dog.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #63
martinl

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter - this mysterious super is simply perceived to be normal, uninteresting butter. You can investigate it further, eat some or all of it, and do other normal butter things to/with it, but most of these actions are self delusion since you are simply not capable of believing it is not butter. However, various law enforcement and vigilante entities have been getting greasy notes in the mail from the butter, and the information is often very useful.

ICBINT's very existence has caused a large number of folks who value secrecy to no longer conduct any business whatsoever if any butter is around.

As a PC, this might be even more fun than the racoons, as the power is not switchable.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #64

Uh huh ... Obviously our comrade Martinl is bogarting the good drugs for himself. Shame.

Anyway, I looked at my GURPS shelf and I noticed something I could kick myself for not remembering on this thread. Especially since I have a copy sitting right there in front of me like it has for over twenty years.

That, of course, being GURPS Supers Mixed Doubles.

It's 3rd Edition, but excellent work, with various pairs of super-beings - heroes, villains, partners, enemies, etc. And all have variable power levels so they can be boosted or turned up. So getting many (or most) in the 250 or lower range in 4th edition shouldn't be too hard.

My personal faves in the book are Fastball and Chain (a crimefighting duo, one who can throw super-fast baseballs, the other who can project paralysis beams) and the enemies Dauntless and the Mocker (a fear-wracked paranoid who became a superhero to confront his fears versus a villain whose whole schtick is fear).

Last edited by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2; 07-12-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #65
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Skitter might have fit within [250] at the start, but I'd rather not make the mistake of underestimating her. That tends not to go well for people.
The main problem with trying to fit Skitter into 250 points is her highly detailed supermultitasking (she knows where every single 'bug' in her range is relative to her, and controls each of them individually), and the sheer scope of her power (there are a lot of bugs in a radius of a few city blocks, even if you use a low-end estimate for how long a 'city block' is). Later on, she learns to use her bugs' senses, can use bug noises to talk to people, and finds many other applications of her powers, but even at the start she's more powerful than she probably thinks.

I've seen people trying to fit her powers into GURPS or Mutants & Masterminds, and came off with the impression that they're either missing something that you might be able to make up with role-playing or might not, missing something that only a really generous GM would let you make up with role-playing, or they give up. The fact that the writer uses vague terms like 'city block' doesn't help, but isn't that huge a problem as long as you're willing to define the terms yourself.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:02 AM   #66
Aldric

No idea how this Skitter works.

But having several swarms of insects as an ally group is a possibility. Dunnow how to model calling on existing insects.

It could also work as a limitation on powers such as clairsentience, only if there are bugs available, but it gives you a lot less freedom than controlling a swarm directly
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:43 PM   #67
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
No idea how this Skitter works.
With brutal efficiency. More seriously, she basically has two closely-related powers. The first allows her to detect and perfectly control any arthropod (insects, spiders, crabs, etc) within a given radius (typically around 1 city block, but can expand under certain stress conditions), with sensory feedback. The second is an incredible ability to mentally multitask, particularly where her first power is concerned. At the beginning of the story she isn't great with her powers, but is still shockingly effective. As Prince Charon notes, she'd be exceedingly difficult to emulate in GURPS.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:51 PM   #68
Dalillama

GURPS Super Scum is another one that has a lotta potential to be updated, and also has the variable power levels for each character. My copy is in a box atm cos I'm moving.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:55 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
GURPS Super Scum is another one that has a lotta potential to be updated, and also has the variable power levels for each character. My copy is in a box atm cos I'm moving.
I have an excuse for overlooking that! My copy of Super Scum is held together with tape so I can't read the spine and it's in the "Books So Old I'm Afraid To Touch Them" section.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #70
CeeDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Javelina is a pretty young lady with weapon master (javelin), strong athletic skills, and a terrible agent.
I feel like there's some kind of pun I'm missing here. Could someone explain, please?

Regarding Skitter, my guess would be generous levels of Compartmentalized Mind, plus ridiculously high levels of Modular Abilities (Cosmic Power) with Environmental and Reflexive.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers