Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Minor League Supers [Powers/Supers]

Empusa is a cannibalistic female supervillian who drains her victims through sex before turning her victims into her food. Her mundane cover is that of a South Carolina style BBQ master smoker who transforms her victims into her own meals. Whatever she does not eat, she feeds to the pigs that she slaughters for her restaurant.

Regardless of her horrific diet, she is a masterful cook (Cooking-25) and her restaurant is booked weeks in advance for dinner, though lunch is first come first served. Every morning, she comes into her restaurant at 4 am to start up the BBQ for lunch, though she is never open on Mondays and Tuesdays. On occasion, a handsome man will catch her eye, but their meat always lasts longer than their lives.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #12
Astromancer

One simple idea would be a character with Ridiculous Luck who's good luck manifested only as rotten luck for those opposed to him. You could give him some Serendipity too, with the Wishing modifier. But it would all be limited to bad luck for those hostile to the PC. He wouldn't have good luck for himself, nor could he give good luck to his friends or general bad luck to foes. It would only be lucky breaks for the PC that showed up as trouble for opponents.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #13
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a humble lich View Post
Most of the characters from the show Heroes were probably about 250 points.
I don't think that's true, please could you provide examples?

Peter Petrelli, Claire Bennet, Hiro Nakamura, Nathan Petrelli and Sylar are all much higher than 250 points.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:49 PM   #14
Phantasm

Actually, I think Misfits of Science would be more along the line of 250 points or less supers. Basically, there was:

The Team Leader, a scientist with no powers except a quick wit.

The Tall Guy scientist who had the power to shrink down to a one foot height (Shrinking 5) for I believe less than an hour, with proportionate strength for his size, and carried Ken doll clothing on him to change into.

The Rock Guitarist with the ability to shoot lightning (Innate Attacks are cheap), powered off an Energy Reserve that was constantly drawing electric power from other sources, but took damage from fresh/salt water as if it was acid.

Courtney Cox as The Student, with minor Telekinesis.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

The musician could also run FAR faster than the bionic man lampooned in one episode. So essentially a minor Flash and Electro combination. He seems the most expensive character, Gurps-wise of the bunch.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #16
a humble lich

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
I don't think that's true, please could you provide examples?

Peter Petrelli, Claire Bennet, Hiro Nakamura, Nathan Petrelli and Sylar are all much higher than 250 points.
I wasn't thinking of Peter, Hiro, or Sylar. They are much higher than 250 points. Their powers change so much during the series that they are hard to pin down too.

Claire Bennet and Nathan Petrelli are probably a bit over 250 point but not much higher. Claire has something like Unkillable 2 and Instant Regeneration with (Super -10%, Hinderance: not when object in back of neck -15%) which is 150 points. As she is a high school student, she doesn't have a whole lot of other skills, so the range of 250 to 350 points isn't unreasonable. Id say Nathan has about 100 points in powers, but a lot of social advantages.

However those are some of the most powerful characters in the show. A lot of the other supers were much weaker. The Haitian (remove memories), Niki (split personality), Isaac Mendez (paint the future when high), Micah (control computers), D.L. Hawkins (phasing), and Matt Parkman (telepathy) i'd peg at about the 250 point level. Some of them (like Parkman) gain in power as the series progresses, but start off fairly weak. Also, many of the characters Sylar kills are fairly weak.

Now, it would be possible to rate characters in Heroes higher and give them a more cinematic tone, but that wasn't the feeling I got from the show. You had people with powers, but for most of them a couple guys with guns were a threat.

Edit: Now I want to go and watch more Heroes.
a humble lich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #17
martinl

Guy, a forgettable Frenchman with +16 charisma with no signature - everyone likes him enough to do improbable things for him, but never really notices anything out of the ordinary during or after the fact. If he was a Machiavellian schemer of some sort he'd be dangerous but he uses it to couch surf, cadge free stuff, and generally get along. Almost impossible to find since almost anyone he's met will die to protect his privacy, without noticing that that's weird.

Sharknado is a luchadora with a shark theme. Low power brick.

Pizza Rat is a master thief with lots of mundane thievery abilities and the ability to turn into a normal (except for intelligence) rat. He hates the name the media has given him. Has four pet turtles.

Sweet Tooth
is an adorable little girl with vampire fangs. Instead of vampirism, however, when she bites you you are put in a diabetic coma. Candy based gadgets and powers.

Sheep Crusader summons and shoots high velocity sheep from his hands.

Temp Ban can teleport to his home from anywhere merely by saying something inappropriate for the venue.

Thirteen Raccoons in a Trenchoat is, well, 13 raccoons in a trenchcoat. However, in the coat they are never noticed as unusual and can perform most actions that a regular human could. Dispersed they are as capable as 13 raccoons working in tandem. In either form they have a fairly clever, if odd, hive intelligence.

Tough Guy has 50 levels of tough skin, 14 HT, and regeneration.

The Cow is a cow. Her luck based powers cause improbable events around her to resolve the situation to her liking. At the moment she is the CEO of a lawn care company but is getting bored...

Fanboy can turn into a giant fan. Air vortex with a lot of knockback but not much else.

Scoville can shoot a jet of hot pepper dust and is immune to fire and spicy food.

Filibuster prevents any group of people near him from making a group decision.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:40 PM   #18
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
With respect, I can't resist an unsolicited minor re-write of this:
I think things would have to get pretty desperate before T-Hawk would break out the heavy conventional weapons given issues of collateral damage and the Federal reaction to her using military weaponry in an urban neighbourhood.

It is true that I visualized DOA as using Big Bad precisely because Big Bad wouldn't get any ideas. I also imagine DOA as yes, being the most streetwise, not that the bar is set all that high for a gang that is half made up of suburban runaway teenagers and I also imagine him as excellent at intimidation by anyone's standard.

Yes Bloody Mary is terrifying. She is after all an incarnation of a horror urban legend.

Bandit's air arm would actually be great for countering gaseous attacks. But he's not likely to ever encounter one.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #19
a humble lich

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Thirteen Raccoons in a Trenchoat is, well, 13 raccoons in a trenchcoat. However, in the coat they are never noticed as unusual and can perform most actions that a regular human could. Dispersed they are as capable as 13 raccoons working in tandem. In either form they have a fairly clever, if odd, hive intelligence.
Well done. I love this, and I now have a desire to play them as a character.
a humble lich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #20
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
I just...and then read this...and...I laughed so hard reading this. Can I use this in my supers campaign? 'Cause it's amazing.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers