Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-03-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
Kyle Aaron
MIB

Default So, what stats does a Super Soldier have?

You know, like one who can run ten miles in boots and full kit?

Anyone want to crunch the numbers for me?
Old 03-03-2005, 10:13 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: So, what stats does a Super Soldier have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob

Well a nice definition of weight of a full kit please (include uniform weight please) also maximum time allowed
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:24 PM   #3
Sam Cade

Well, Fanaticism is a must.
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:05 PM   #4
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Well, my TA-50 when I was in weighed about 120 pounds (including weapon and ammo). If you wanted that as medium encumberance, ST 15 is about right. HT in the 15 range would also be good for the fatigue, with maybe a few points of extra fatigue. Running skill could be useful.

Give him a DX 14-15 and IQ 12. This would give a basic speed 7.25 (7.5 if DX 15). Move 7 with +4 extra basic move for 11(-2 for encumberance for 9). Paced running of 5 (sprint of 10.8/2 round down). This gives roughly a 6 minute mile with a roll to avoid losing a fatigue point every minute. A concerted speed of 10mph carrying 120 pounds (up to a max of 130 without changing encumberance levels) seems rather good to me. 10 miles full kit in 1 hour. And able to fight fairly well immediatly after running that distance to boot.

(and I didn't bother with a point value count as this is supposed to be a super soldier after all.)
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:10 PM   #5
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob

w/ST10 DX10 HT16 you could do paced running (ck per 15 seconds) for a very long time (fails 2% or about 1 per 50, need to fail 13 for 1/2 speed, inaccuractely that's about 2.7 hours of running time).

Assuming you have medium enc (60 lbs or less) you'll have a move of 4.6ish (keeping the fractions) sprinting and 2.3ish running. That's 1.2 sprint bonus * .5 paced rate * .6 Med Enc * [DX10 + HT16]/4.

That's just under 13 miles in those 2.7 hours.

Edit: Gak, 15 sec is sprinting. Paced is per minute. You can double the distance or halve the time.

Last edited by naloth; 03-03-2005 at 11:15 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:15 PM   #6
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth
... you could do paced running (ck per 15 seconds) for a very long time...

Check time for paced running is once every 1 minute. B354 says the check for paced is 1/4 as often as for sprinting. Sprinting is every 15 seconds. B426 says every one minute for paced running (center collumn) under running or swimming. (I'd just read through all this to make my numbers post).
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:18 PM   #7
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard
Check time for paced running is once every 1 minute. B354 says the check for paced is 1/4 as often as for sprinting. Sprinting is every 15 seconds. B426 says every one minute for paced running (center collumn) under running or swimming. (I'd just read through all this to make my numbers post).
Yeah, I realized that just after I re-read my post... HT 16 guy can sprint 13 miles carrying 60 lbs.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:31 PM   #8
LateCustomer

A high running skill will make high HT unnecessary.
LateCustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:34 PM   #9
angel_lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cade
Well, Fanaticism is a must.
I'm guessing that with a full kit (if that includes full pack, uniform, web gear, canteen, rifle and helmet at a minimum) is going to come in at around 95 to 100, depending on the branch of the service. I got out in 90, but I can't imagine the gear has changed that much weight wise, except for the boots maybe. So to get that down to medium encumbrance requires at the very least a ST 13 or 14. He's already the best soldier in his platoon probablly. Even then you are losing 2 from your move, so you double time (assuming average dex and IQ for super-soldier) at 4 yards per second.

Your going to need an incredible stamina, and therefore a high fatigue to run that far in full kit. I'm thinking an 17 or 18 fatigue might do it, so if you are reinforcing the -no more than three points above Ht- suggestion, then you probablly need a 14 or15 health.

Since we're talking "double-time", I'll ignore the paced running rules for now.

The rules have you rolling agains health every 15 seconds of running or lossing 1 FP. Say running 10 miles, without out being fatigued (503 yards per mile x 10 miles is 5030 yards) . since the interval is 15 seconds, and you cna move 4 yards a second, you need to make a health roll every 60 yards or losse 1 point of fatigue. That is 83 plus fatigue checks in 10 miles. so assuming a Ht 14, roughly 10 percent fail, that's 8 points of fatigue lost - dropping to 9 fp

It's a little better at health 15, with only a five percent chance of failure (roughly) so 4 fp lost and dropping to 14 FP total

Take into account that recruits are always tired from lack of sleep - knock another 2 fp off for that. the guy with 14 health/17 points is at 7 after the run

The Guy with 15 Ht/ 18 FP is at 12 after the run

Just for kicks, a Haelth 13/ 16 fp yields (very roughly) 20 percent failure, so a generous 16 fatigue lost - 2 for lack of sleep, but only 16 possible fatigue, this guy starts taking physical damage somewhere on his run.

So unless the guy is doing a controlled run, running at only 2 yards per second, he needs at least HT 14/FP17 to make the ten miles.
angel_lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:47 PM   #10
angel_lord

Oops my bad... 15 seconds is for sprinting. so every 60 seconds or (60 x 2.5 yards = 150 yards) so only 33 checks, but if you have a high running in change o health, say 14 or 15 running with only 10 health, 13 FP, that isn't very good either.

Most soldiers aren't trained sprinters or long distanc erunners, so I'd go for the health over high running.

Ya know, there are 1760 yards in a mile. DOn't know what I was thinking, that more than DOUBLES, the checks for the ten mile wonder. We need higher stats.

Last edited by angel_lord; 03-03-2005 at 11:56 PM. Reason: edited for correct yards in mile
angel_lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supersoldiers