Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
nerdvana

Default Star System Creation Sheets

Has anyone out there created an excel sheet that handles the creation of star systems? (Both from a create a concept planet first or from star creation though totally randomly)
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
Fnordianslip

Default Re: Star System Creation Sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana
Has anyone out there created an excel sheet that handles the creation of star systems? (Both from a create a concept planet first or from star creation though totally randomly)
Check out the Network section of the forums. Agemegos has put together a great excel sheet for system creation. I think his thread is under Game Aids, under the Network.

For your convenience, here.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=32047
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
dscheidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordianslip
Check out the Network section of the forums. Agemegos has put together a great excel sheet for system creation.
Which he's no longer making available, out of peeve with SJG not fixing the errata in Space.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
thtraveller

Quote:
If it's just a planet then my online planet generator (just html and javascript) might be useful http://www.transhuman.talktalk.net/iw/Geosync.htm
Old 01-20-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
Imion

I wrote a little Java application that randomly creates a system. I don't have any webspace available at the moment so PM me if you're interested.

EDIT: I just noticed that I already sent you the app. So what do you want? ;) Just a spreadsheet to fill in your own (random) numbers?
Old 01-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #6
elustran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imion
I wrote a little Java application that randomly creates a system. I don't have any webspace available at the moment so PM me if you're interested.

EDIT: I just noticed that I already sent you the app. So what do you want? ;) Just a spreadsheet to fill in your own (random) numbers?
I got your app too - it's pretty cool, but it also makes me think of various things that could be added to it... ways of tweaking it to make it output what you want, such as options for shifting orbits and modifying atmosphere while simultaneously recalculating surface temperature. Of course, if something doesn't quite fit, you can just rewrite what it says in the text-dump, but, damn, it would be useful to have the calculations automated.
elustran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
Imion

I'm always open for suggestions and comments, but since this is my first try at Java and I don't have that much time to put into the program, improvements and additional features are added very, very slowly. At the moment I'm working on having the app generate Binaries, but alas I have no idea when it will be finished.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
Agemegos

Quote:
I have. But it has a couple of little problems.
  1. It doesn't place moons according to RAW, but using an algorithm that I designed myself, which puts the moons a bit further away on average, and spaced like planets.
  2. It doesn't calculate tides or tidal braking according to the RAW, but according to formulas that are consonant with the physics.
  3. It doesn't do rotation rates according to the RAW, but according to a simpler method that is (I believe) more consistent with the physics.
  4. I m not giving it away any more.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 01-20-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
Anaraxes

Are you planning to sell (some of) these things?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes
Are you planning to sell (some of) these things?
Me? No. I can't. It embodies the GURPS Space star system generation sequence rules, which are copyright to Steve Jackson Games.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 01-20-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
space, system generation