Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-05-2019, 12:24 PM   #1
Shostak

Default After Pinning

ITL 117 details how to pin a foe in HTH and how to break a pin, but it doesn't discuss what an attacker can do to a pinned opponent. I'm curious to learn what thoughts this forum might offer on what seems to be a vague area in the rules. Also, the rules state that the victim of a successful pin is helpless for two rounds. I don't recall ever watching a wrestling match in which a pinned athlete was dominated completely for 8 seconds before being able to attempt to break the pin. Would it not be more realistic to simply have the pin impose a DX penalty on the victim?
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: After Pinning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
ITL 117 details how to pin a foe in HTH and how to break a pin, but it doesn't discuss what an attacker can do to a pinned opponent. I'm curious to learn what thoughts this forum might offer on what seems to be a vague area in the rules. Also, the rules state that the victim of a successful pin is helpless for two rounds. I don't recall ever watching a wrestling match in which a pinned athlete was dominated completely for 8 seconds before being able to attempt to break the pin. Would it not be more realistic to simply have the pin impose a DX penalty on the victim?
Heh. I have made a small career adapting my take on grappling rules to various systems. Perhaps TFT needs to be next, though I rather suspect it would be even shorter than Fantastic Dungeon Grappling, which itself came in at only eight pages.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
Skarg

Douglas, in my opinion, TFT would vastly benefit for better rules for initiating HTH, grappling etc. PLEASE DO!

Also, in my opinion, the pinning rules are both overly vague and utterly broken. The effect of Unarmed Combat skill and the lack of modifiers for size or strength seems to say one level of advantage in Unarmed Combat talent means you can pin on a 2/DX roll (i.e. dead easy) and two levels of advantage make it automatic, never mind if the opponent is twice your size or a bear or a dragon.

My own proposed house-rule (AKA my answers to how best to interpret/fix/use the existing Pinning rule) patch on the pinning rules is HERE.

Last edited by Skarg; 08-05-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:07 PM   #4
xane

ITL p127 makes it clear what you can do with helpless victims
xane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #5
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by xane View Post
ITL p127 makes it clear what you can do with helpless victims
And if that applies to pinning, the rule is even more broken...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:33 PM   #6
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
And if that applies to pinning, the rule is even more broken...
Absolutely. If TFT had the benefit of Douglas Cole's grappling expertise, I'd be thrilled.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:19 PM   #7
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Douglas, in my opinion, TFT would vastly benefit for better rules for initiating HTH, grappling etc. PLEASE DO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Absolutely. If TFT had the benefit of Douglas Cole's grappling expertise, I'd be thrilled.
I will take a look. I have a real hankering to make grabbing and grappling a viable thing in games, and mostly because as a GM, the look on a player's face when they realize their poor paper man is about to be ripped apart by the jaws of a pack of hyenas or swallowed whole by a kraken is like pure motivational fuel.

Oh, sorry. No. It's so the PCs can fight well. Yeah. That's it.

I will do everything possible to make it short and sweet enough to even be something with a place in Hexagram or something similarly short and sweet. The original 'zine article that inspired the eventually 50-page Dungeon Grappling was only about 1500 or 2000 words (for Swords and Wizardry, which is roughly as complex as TFT, meaning it's not GURPS, Pathfinder, or even 5e).
Old 08-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #8
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gaming Ballistic, LLC: Home of Dragon Heresy, Hall of Judgment, and hand-made viking shields.
Hi Doug,
I am looking forward to your new pinning rules. Also very cool hand made viking shields.

FYI your DragonHeresy and Hall of Judgement links are dead links.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #9
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
Hi Doug,
I am looking forward to your new pinning rules. Also very cool hand made viking shields.

FYI your DragonHeresy and Hall of Judgement links are dead links.
Thanks - fixed the links. I've got a min/max wordcount for hexagram now (the power of RTFM) and will see what I can do after I finish up 4PJ.

Tags
grappling, hth, unarmed combat, wrestling